Dangerous Fundamentalist Justifies Terrorism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
As an atheist I can objectively say that God Hates Fred Phelps!
Thank God for the bombing of London's subway today - July 7, 2005 - wherein dozens were killed and hundreds seriously injured. Wish it was many more.

"But thou shalt say unto them, This is a nation that obeyeth not the voice of the Lord their God, nor receiveth correction; truth is perished, and is cut off from their mouth." Jer. 7:28.

England: Island of the Sodomite Damned

Tony Blair and his Bitch Barrister Wife

These two have let England to irreversible doom, pushing the fag agenda. It is now a crime to preach God's truth about fags in England. Blair wants to be president (Antichrist) of EU (European Union), whose laws also criminalize Gospel preaching.
link

What a wanker; even the Islamic extremists have the mind to be lying low in the west this week. I guess that it is too be expected from the man behind "godhatesamerica.com". Boundaries of religious tolerance are of course established and issues of free speech must be taken into account. In keeping with that I think that if any deity is really out there then it should appear to poor Fred and show him how to love his fellow man, short of that then an anvil mysteriously dropping from the sky and landing on him would suffice, although I am sure that he would draw the conclusion that God is gay and God hates God ~ God probably being a self-loathing closet homosexual.

At least the wanker doesn't recieve much support outside his immediate family, although that doesn't stop me from being disgusted by his seething bilious hatred. Same goes for Jerry Falwell and his arsehole opinions.

That guy must have some serious personal issues.

Last edited:
Fred Phelps hates everything and is quite obsessed with homosexuality. You forget that he's most famous for "godhatesfags.com."

Oddly enough, he's probably done more to advance gay rights than he's done to prevent it.

Melon

:lmao:

mock the devil and he will flee from thee.

this is the same man who thought the tsunami was sent by god to punish the swedish tourists and their pro-fag agenda.

I hate how the term "fundamentalist" has been hijacked. As a long term Southern Baptist, I remember when the term "fundamentalist" simply meant "someone who believes that every word in the Bible is true". That's why it upsets me when people go around slamming fundamentalists.

There must be 2 definitions;one is the "strictly theological" menaing, which is what I've always thought of it, and the other must be the "political/theological" term which is so commonly used these days.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

Is that Bono's version of "resist the devil and he will flee"?

Actually, I thought that came from the Screwtape Letters. I could be wrong on that, though. It's been a couple years since I read that book. I'm pretty sure that idea was at least presented, though.

Oh, and I'm not even going to comment on the original article. I think my opinions on the matter have already been illustrated by some of you fine people. :wink:

This guy is a real sicko. He's right in there with the Ku Klux Klan and other hate groups like this. I don't know how people get this full of hatred.

A_Wanderer said:
In keeping with that I think that if any deity is really out there then it should appear to poor Fred and show him how to love his fellow man,

Fred Phelps is so dense, so bigoted and so unloving, I don't think even God Himself getting in his face would get though his concrete skull. :tsk:

What irks me is that people look at idiots like this and think, "Oh, is that what Christianity is about?" It makes the millions of sensible and loving Christians in the world look like anal-retentive, hateful gits. :mad:

don't want to start a new thead for every idiot

so i dropped this here

Flier from senator angers Muslims

By Yvonne Abraham

06/27/03: (Boston Globe) Senator Guy W. Glodis has angered Muslims and a civil rights group over a flier he sent to fellow senators that says terrorist attacks could be deterred if convicted Muslim extremists were buried with pig entrails.

The flier, which Glodis's 39 colleagues received Wednesday, said an execution of Muslim extremists in the Philippines was ordered by General John Joseph ''Black Jack'' Pershing before World War I, in which the terrorists were shot with bullets dipped in pigs' blood, then buried with ''pigs' blood, entrails, etc.'' According to the flier, contact with the blood and entrails of pigs ''instantly barred'' Muslims from paradise, dooming them to hell. It said news of the burial deterred other terrorist attacks for ''the next forty-two years.''

''Maybe it is time for this segment of history to repeat itself, maybe in Iraq,'' the flier concluded. ''The question is, where do we find another Black Jack Pershing?''

A Muslim group denounced the flier as ''slanderous garbage.'' Internet websites cast doubt on the authenticity of the killings as described in the flier, with at least one referring to the description as a fictional chain.

The Auburn Democrat would not say yesterday whether he agreed with the

contents of the flier, which he circulated to his colleagues with a note that said ''thought this might be of interest to you.''

''I didn't write it,'' he said. ''I just passed it along to my colleagues. I often share news items of interest with my colleagues.''

The flier merely recounted historical fact, Glodis said, and should not have offended anyone.

''If some of my colleagues are so weak-kneed and politically correct and cannot accept historical fact, I suggest they lodge a formal complaint with the secretary of the Army,'' Glodis said.

But a national Muslim society took a different view and plans to call for Glodis's censure today.

''I am outraged and I am offended, and I think that the senator owes an apology to his Muslim constituents,'' said Raeed N. Tayeh, public affairs director of the Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation, in Washington, D.C. ''The inflammatory nature of passing this around and the recklessness with which he's done it -- he hasn't checked his history, and I think it's ludicrous.''

Islam does not teach that people would be barred from heaven by being buried with pigs, Tayeh said.

''It's a canard, it's a lie, a fable,'' he said. ''It is one of those urban legends that keeps getting passed on like a terrible chain letter. God admits people to heaven based on their actions. This is what Muslims believe.''

Tayeh said he would join local Muslims today to call on Senate President Robert E. Travaglini to censure Glodis. Travaglini's office did not return several calls requesting comment.

''This is just a sad commentary on the ignorance of people who are entrusted to represent Americans, that they would pass around such offensive, distasteful, and slanderous garbage to members of an esteemed body such as the Massachusetts Senate,'' Tayeh said.

A local civil rights leader concurred.

''It's deeply troubling,'' said Andrew Tarsy, civil rights director for the Anti-Defamation League's New England office. ''Discourse on difficult issues in this country requires a fundamental respect for human rights. Appeals to bigotry are not a part of the constructive discussion about the war on terrorism. His role is to lead a discussion, and that can be done without this kind of recklessness.''

Most of the senators called for comment on Glodis's mailing yesterday did not return calls, but two defended his First Amendment right to circulate it. ''I respect Guy. He is a friend, and this isn't something I would support or send out, but he has a right to do it,'' said Senate Minority Leader Brian P. Lees, an East Longmeadow Republican.

''If there was any indication that we would repeat something like that, I would never agree to anything like that, but he has a right to any opinion he wants,'' he said.

Senator Jarrett T. Barrios said he found the flier offensive, and threw it away.

''I get offensive things sent to me all the time,'' said the Cambridge Democrat.

''The First Amendment of the United States allows people to be eloquent in how they express themselves or to be troglodytes. It doesn't discriminate. Clearly, the senator is able to exercise his First Amendment rights and has chosen to do so. And I am free to throw it in the garbage.''

nbcrusader said:
How do you create a deterence when an eternity of worldly pleasure is sold to these young men as a reward for their deadly acts?

If their lives weren't so desperate and they had education they wouldn't fall for this.

the problem actually is religion -- any and all religion -- itself.

i've posted this quote before, because i love it so, and is one of the reasons why, yes, i do think fundamentalism in any religion -- no matter how it is defined -- is a dangerous thing. it doesn't have to be, but it has the potential for apocalypse.

here's why:

"From the first moment I looked into that horror on Sept. 11, into that fireball, into that explosion of horror, I knew it. I knew it before anything was said about those who did it or why. I recognized an old companion. I recognized religion. Look, I am a priest for over 30 years. Religion is my life, it's my vocation, it's my existence. I'd give my life for it; I hope to have the courage. Therefore, I know it.

And I know, and recognized that day, that the same force, energy, sense, instinct, whatever, passion -- because religion can be a passion -- the same passion that motivates religious people to do great things is the same one that that day brought all that destruction. When they said that the people who did it did it in the name of God, I wasn't the slightest bit surprised. It only confirmed what I knew. I recognized it.

I recognized this thirst, this demand for the absolute. Because if you don't hang on to the unchanging, to the absolute, to that which cannot disappear, you might disappear. I recognized that this thirst for the never-ending, the permanent, the wonders of all things, this intolerance or fear of diversity, that which is different -- these are characteristics of religion. And I knew that that force could take you to do great things. But I knew that there was no greater and more destructive force on the surface of this earth than the religious passion." -- Monsignor Lorenzo Albacete, from the PBS Frontline show "Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero"

Irvine511 said:
the problem actually is religion -- any and all religion -- itself.

i've posted this quote before, because i love it so, and is one of the reasons why, yes, i do think fundamentalism in any religion -- no matter how it is defined -- is a dangerous thing.

Define "fundamentalism' for us, please.

nbcrusader said:
How do you create a deterence when an eternity of worldly pleasure is sold to these young men as a reward for their deadly acts?

These guys have got to have issues if they are attracted to this school of Islam in the first place. Most Muslims believe suicide is a huge sin. I've seen this all over Turkish discussion groups. Most Turks are both disgusted with terrorism and so convinced of the sinfulness of suicide that there's no way they'd be attracted to this interpretation of Islam.

verte76 said:

These guys have got to have issues if they are attracted to this school of Islam in the first place. Most Muslims believe suicide is a huge sin. I've seen this all over Turkish discussion groups. Most Turks are both disgusted with terrorism and so convinced of the sinfulness of suicide that there's no way they'd be attracted to this interpretation of Islam.

I don't think there's anything in the Koran about "suicide martyrdom" getting rewards. But the Koran does say that fighting in the name of Allah is encouraged and will get ya some extra rewards.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

If their lives weren't so desperate and they had education they wouldn't fall for this.

Do you know that their lives were desparate, or is the base assumption that if you are willing to blow yourself up, you must live a desparate life.

Irvine511 said:

you defined it very well yourself in another thread.

So, adding my definition of "fundamentalism" to what you said above, am I correct when I say that your belief is that:

The belief that every word in the Bible is true is a dangerous thing?

Or, to put it in the context of all religions:

The belief that every word in any "holy" book is true is a dangerous thing?

80sU2isBest said:

So, adding my definition of "fundamentalism" to what you said above, am I correct when I say that your belief is that:

The belief that every word in the Bible is true is a dangerous thing?

Or, to put it in the context of all religions:

The belief that every word in any "holy" book is true is a dangerous thing?

yes.

nbcrusader said:

Do you know that their lives were desparate, or is the base assumption that if you are willing to blow yourself up, you must live a desparate life.

Well you don't see the Bin Laden's volunteering for the roles. If they truly believed in the stuff they selling they'd be dead, all of them. The truth is, it's the poorest and most desperate that get recruited for these roles.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well you don't see the Bin Laden's volunteering for the roles. If they truly believed in the stuff they selling they'd be dead, all of them. The truth is, it's the poorest and most desperate that get recruited for these roles.

i'll take the rare disagreement w/BVS.

it's not about being poor or desperate that turns one into a suicide bomber. if that were true, we'd have Angolans blowing themselves up all over the place.

it's about a sense of humiliation coupled with the apocalyptic absolutes that only religion can provide.

but humiliation. it cannot be underestimated.

80sU2isBest said:

I don't think there's anything in the Koran about "suicide martyrdom" getting rewards. But the Koran does say that fighting in the name of Allah is encouraged and will get ya some extra rewards.

Let's take a look at some other text that can be twisted:

Exodus 22:20

"Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. 9 You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

These are just a few, but the point is almost any religious text can be misinterpreted without context.

Irvine511 said:

i'll take the rare disagreement w/BVS.

it's not about being poor or desperate that turns one into a suicide bomber. if that were true, we'd have Angolans blowing themselves up all over the place.

it's about a sense of humiliation coupled with the apocalyptic absolutes that only religion can provide.

but humiliation. it cannot be underestimated.

I agree it's not just being poor and desperate. I realize that. But when recruiting for suicide bombers where do you think they go first.

Take a look at Waco. Take a look at the education levels and economic levels of the individuals, people like Koresh, Bin Laden, etc know that they can prey on desperate and get them to do their doing.

Back
Top Bottom