Crosses at the Inauguration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
News Advisory:

The Secret Service (news - web sites) prohibits the public display of crosses at the Presidential Inauguration Parade on January 20th.

The Secret Service issued this prohibition in a December 17th, 2004 letter sent to the National Park Service and included it in an approved demonstration permit application sent to the Christian Defense Coalition on December 23rd. (To see the letter go to http://www.earnedmedia.org/permit.htm)

The Christian Defense Coalition was granted a permit to hold a prayer vigil and demonstration at the Inauguration Parade.

The group calls the banning of the crosses, at the Inauguration, rank religious discrimination and censorship in its worst form.

The Coalition will hold a news conference at Thursday, January 6th, at 11:30 A.M. to discuss their plans regarding this matter. The news conference will be held at the corner of 4th St. and Pennsylvania Ave. NW in front of the Canadian Embassy. This is also the location of where they will conduct their prayer vigil and demonstration during the Inauguration Parade.

Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, Director of the Christian Defense Coalition, states, "By prohibiting the public display of crosses at the Inauguration Parade, the Secret Service has trampled the First Amendment and crushed religious freedom in the public square. Simply put, it is religious bigotry and censorship. It is even more troubling when one realizes that it is only Christian symbols that have been excluded from the Inauguration Parade. We also want to make it clear that we will be on the public sidewalks holding crosses at the Inauguration Parade even if that means risking arrest and jail. The First Amendment should be celebrated at this Inauguration...not crushed."

I think it's clear from the letter that the reason for this is that they don't want people walking around with big physical objects that you could use as a weapon or to conceal a weapon. Hence, the lumping of crosses with other large physical objects.

As far as I can tell, you can still walk around with signs that say whatever you want on them.

strannix said:
I think it's clear from the letter that the reason for this is that they don't want people walking around with big physical objects that you could use as a weapon or to conceal a weapon. Hence, the lumping of crosses with other large physical objects.

As far as I can tell, you can still walk around with signs that say whatever you want on them.

:yes:

Yes, it's security. They are trying to keep everyone safe. Someone needs to tell these Christian Coalition people that an inauguration is supposed to be enjoyable for the people who show up to watch it and also for the people watching it on TV. It's the President, no one is turning on an adventure drama. If they want one there's a movie.

Last edited:
re: the CDC-
whine, whine, whine, whine!:rolleyes:......:angel:

Seriously, those of us at April's 04 Pro-choice march were instructed/not allowed to have posters/banners etc hoisted up on wood, or metal poles/slats etc-- so that seems to be a similar protection thing.

we were only allowed to carry our posters up on cardboard rolls. and that was really fine by me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom