Court overrules Bush 'enemy combatant' policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw on the news last night that the govt intends to appeal this all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. At least it was the lead story in the news, rather than Paris Hilton.

Smallville said:

Yes, in time of war extreme measures have to sometime be taken in order to maintain security, when this war is over we can drop the policy.

so what does victory look like?

The War on Terror is going to end someday? Good one!

This court made the right decision. If the composition of your SCOTUS wasn't such a political joke, it would certainly be upheld.

Irvine511 said:

so what does victory look like?

The top of a newborn babies head!:wink:

Seriously, when we can get a stable government and slowing start making our withdrawal, nation building takes time.

Smallville said:

it's a serious question, though.

this entire war has been framed as occuring at the discretion of the president. if he feels we are at "war," then he can assign himself war powers as he sees fit.

he can detain YOU, an American citizen, and hold you without any rights whatsoever, if he sees fit.

these are the powers he's given himself, all under the justification of "we're at war."

yes, Abraham did suspend Habeus Corpus in the Civil War. FDR did -- shamefully -- intern Japanese-Americans in WW2.

one key difference is that we knew what victory looked like in 1862 and 1942: the surrender of The South and of The Japanese. and then things go back to normal.

so show me what victory in this war looks like.

Smallville said:
Seriously, when we can get a stable government and slowing start making our withdrawal, nation building takes time.

so Iraq is the War on Terror?

so we're at war with Iraq? these enemy combatants are all Iraqis? the people who blew up the London Underground, the Spanish trains, the nightclub in Bali, the WTC -- these were all Iraqis?

Irvine511 said:

so we're at war with Iraq? these enemy combatants are all Iraqis? the people who blew up the London Underground, the Spanish trains, the nightclub in Bali, the WTC -- these were all Iraqis?

Iraq is a part of it.

What about Afghanistan? Did you not support that? What will vicotory look like there?

Smallville said:

Iraq is a part of it.

What about Afghanistan? Did you not support that? What will vicotory look like there?

i supported the initial invasion of Afghanistan. i didn't support the deferment of resources from Afghanistan to Iraq, especially since American troops were so close to actually catching Osama Bin Laden in Tora Bora in december of 2001.

but i'm not happily advocating the wild expansion of the powers of the executive simply because he thinks we're at war. we're not at war in a conventional sense, and the Iraq debacle was as voluntary a war as has ever been.

Irvine511 said:

Who is bearing the brunt of terrrorism in the world today? (hint: it's people who don't support terrorism).

Smallville said:
So you don't know what victory looks like either?

no.

the War on Terror is like the War on Drugs.

war with no end. terror is a tactic, not an enemy.

hence, i'm keeping my rights.

Smallville said:

Yes, in time of war extreme measures have to sometime be taken in order to maintain security, when this war is over we can drop the policy.

Just so this is clear, you see no problem with the US government detaining a US citizen without presenting any charges against him/her, simply because this is a time of war?

Smallville said:

The status of your government should never rely on the stability of the government of another.

Iraq had a stable government, before we jumped in & toppled it.

And yes, the "war on terror" is a war without end...there have always been and will always be terrorists (GWB should have someone read him a history book), so any rights surrendered because we're "at war" aren't coming back. It's the road to fascism.

What does victory look like? Bush & the republicans out of office.

Back
Top Bottom