Cote d'Ivoire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Ivory Coast has accused French troops of killing unarmed civilians to avenge the death of nine French peacekeepers.

Parliament speaker Mamadou Coulibaly said the French had killed 30 people and wounded more than 100 in the main cities of Abidjan and Yamassoukro.

The French have denied this - saying they fired warning shots on protesters near Abidjan airport and a French base.

French citizens were attacked after French forces destroyed five Ivorian government aircraft.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3989765.stm

"The French have denied this - saying they fired warning shots on protesters near Abidjan airport and a French base"

Since when do the French have the right to fire warning shots at protestors?

"Paris has said it is sending more troops and aircraft to the region to stop the escalating violence.

It has 4,000 troops in the country, part of a 10,000-strong UN force mandated to enforce a peace deal between rebels in the north and President Gbagbo's government in the south.

The UN Security Council moved swiftly to back the French action, and called on all sides to stop the fighting."

Tight situation. The UN forces couldn´t try to prevent the protestors from being violent? I mean, put some fucking cops in front of the airport. Sending a helicopter over there to fire off will not make the French many friends. Not a good solution.

Last edited:
What was to be expected? The Ivorian airforce attacks and kills French peace-keepers for no reason and then expects there to be no follow-up? :eyebrow:

It's not an easy situation for the French forces because mobs of young pro-government hotheads are running around screaming for French blood. This means that any foreigner in Abijan is at risk. Trust me when I say that for those of us actually living in W. Africa, this situation is no laughing matter.

Here are a few more news articles about the current situation in Cote D'Ivoire that provides a MORE COMPREHENSIVE view of the current conflict than the snippet of an article that started this thread.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200411070001.html

http://allafrica.com/stories/200410280935.html

The second article is actually the most interesting of the two articles because it gives what will probably be the underlying reason for all the turmoil in Cote D'Ivoire - the fact that this small West African country is the world's largest producer of cocoa (which we all knows becomes chocolate, cocoa powder, etc).

This makes Cote D'Ivoire the most prosperous nation in Western African - evidently usurping Nigeria's oil production. :ohmy:

Does anyone now doubt why France has a special interest in what happens there, also why both sides in the conflict don't want to see the violence stop?

France isn't there for purely altruistic reasons. :tsk:

Sula, while I can understand that the situation is not easy, and also understand that it seems to be mainly a conflict between the government of Cote d ´Ivoire and the rebels in the north, I can not understand why most businesses in Cote d ´Ivoire are still owned and controlled by French, like the AllAfrica article says.

The whole thing reminds me of various other post-colonialism conflicts, where whites have been looted and kicked out of the country.

The colonial border lines are still intact, often cutting across tribal borders, giving good reasons for the hotheads for tribal warfare.

Also, I don´t know any big (in compare to American of French) African arms manufacturer. Who makes the money there?

Since the French President has ordered the helicopter attack, I tend to agree with Jamila, who is saying that the French are not there for altruistic reasons.

One has to ask what the role of the UN is. There is just a small difference between keeping peace and enforcing peace.

Back
Top Bottom