Corporate Discrimination And Hatred

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
N.J. Eatery Writes 'Jew Couple' on Check
Aug 17

ALLENHURST, N.J.

The bill was a shocker, and not because of the amount. After eating at a Jersey shore restaurant, Elliott Stein and his girlfriend were handed a bill that said "Jew Couple" near the bottom, as a table identifier used by the waitstaff. The slur also turned up on Stein's credit card statement weeks later.

"My grandfather went through all that in old-school Europe," Stein, a New Yorker and a regular at the restaurant, told the New York Post. "But that happened more than 50 years ago. You don't expect it to happen in 2005."

The New Jersey Attorney General's Office said Wednesday it is investigating the July incident at Parkhill's Waterfront Grill through its Division on Civil Rights.

Stein, 23, could not be reached for comment Wednesday. He did not return two telephone messages left at his office.

The server, identified on the check only as Karina, is no longer working at the restaurant, general manager Malia Wells said Wednesday. Wells wouldn't say if it was because of the incident.

"We don't run our establishment like that," Wells said. "It was definitely poor judgment on her part."

Stephen Reid, a spokesman for the restaurant, said it had been the waitstaff's practice to use descriptions of diners to identify them on checks, instead of using the number of their table, as many establishments do.

He said racial slurs were never used to describe diners.

In CT

Town of Wallkill – If you're a 7-year-old kid with cerebral palsy and autism, you have to take your laughs anywhere you can get them.
Just don't have too much fun at the local movie theater, or you might get thrown out.
That's what happened to young Anthony Pratti this week. To say his parents are upset about it would be an understatement.
Anthony, who uses a wheelchair, was with his parents, his sister and his grandmother at the Loews Cineplex theaters in the Galleria at Crystal Run Sunday, watching a 1:15 p.m. matinee of the G-rated film "March of the Penguins."
The family sat in the wheelchair section provided by the theater. Anthony was having a good time, said his mom, Gina Pratti.
"He was laughing, but he really wasn't much louder than any of the other kids," she said.
About 15 minutes into the film, one of the theater's managers approached the family, she said.
"He said our son was laughing too loud," Pratti said. "My husband told him Anthony didn't understand, that he was disabled, but that we'd try to quiet him down."
Not good enough, apparently – the manager brusquely told the family that Anthony had to leave, Pratti said.
Outraged, the family followed the manager to the lobby, where they were told they all didn't have to leave – just Anthony, Pratti said.
Pratti was dumbfounded.
"I said to him, what are we supposed to do, wheel him outside and leave him there?" she said.
The manager refunded the family's ticket purchase and sent them on their way, she said.
Pratti and her husband have spent the past three days making phone calls and sending e-mails, trying to get someone – anyone – from Loews to give them an explanation.
"Not one person from Loews has called me back," Pratti said.
When contacted by the Times Herald-Record yesterday, a representative of Loews corporate headquarters said the company is concerned by Pratti's story, and is looking into Sunday's events.
The company says it will issue a statement today.
Pratti has spoken with attorneys about the incident, but isn't sure she wants to pursue any legal action.
Meanwhile, Pratti says she hopes Loews will do whatever it takes to make amends.
"This was only the third movie Anthony had ever seen, and now we're afraid to go back because they might throw us out again," Pratti said.
Explanations aside, Pratti has a simple message for the manager she says publicly humiliated her son:
"Shame on you."....................

Middletown - Young Anthony Pratti just wanted to see a movie, but today, his story has turned into a kind of firestorm.
The happy 7-year-old, who spends much of his time in a wheelchair dealing
with cerebral palsy and autism, was ejected from the Loews Cineplex theaters in the Galleria at Crystal Run Sunday.
As Anthony was busy laughing and having a good time watching the film "March of the Penguins," a theater manager told his shocked family Anthony was laughing too loud, and that he had to get out.
Anthony's story, which made the cover of today's Times Herald-Record, has sparked a tsunami of supportive phone calls, Internet chat room postings and e-mails from around the region and the nation, along with a minor media frenzy.
Gina Pratti, Anthony's mother, spent most of today chasing hordes of television reporters off her front lawn.
At least seven New York City television stations, plus MSNBC, descended on Pratti seeking interviews. The story was carried on radio stations around the tri-state region, and was even picked up by the Drudge Report Web site.
" My phone hasn't stopped ringing," Pratti said.
For its part, Loews corporate office has apologized to Pratti for what happened to Anthony, and says it's taking steps to ensure it won't happen again.
"We may not have exercised the best sensitivity in handling this situation," said John McCauley, senior vice president of marketing for Loews Cineplex Entertainment.
McCauley said the company would offer more training to employees in how to better deal with touchy situations.
"We welcome the Pratti family back to our theaters, and we hope they'll give us a second chance," McCauley added.
Anthony's story prompted a deluge of messages of solidarity, sympathy and support - and some generous offers.

Keith Lipsey, a Washingtonville police officer and martial arts teacher who works with autistic children, said he was incensed by Anthony's story.
He said he's trying to arrange a special night out at the Destina Theaters in New Windsor for Anthony, his family, friends.
"We should see who can laugh the loudest," Lipsey said. "I'll have bunch of cops around them, I'll bring the whole autistic society in. We'll make it a laughing matter in a positive sense."
Another woman offered to start a petition drive, and more than one person offered to boycott Loews theaters in response. Mark Zurlo, president of Middletown Discount Cinemas, said Loews should have known better, and that the Prattis are welcome to come to his theater anytime as his guest.
"It's a shame that happened," Zurlo said. "It makes us all look bad. There are ways to handle situations - that was not the way to handle it."

Woman Gets Cable Bill With Derogatory Name

Wed Aug 17

LaChania Govan said she got bounced around by her cable company when she called to complain. She made dozens of calls and was even transferred to a person who spoke Spanish — a language she doesn't understand.

But when she got her August bill from Comcast she had no trouble understanding she'd made somebody mad. It was addressed to "Bitch Dog."

"I was like you got to be freaking kidding me," said Govan, 25. "I was so mad I couldn't even cuss."

Govan said the only thing she did to Comcast employees that might be considered rude came after a few dozen calls when she felt she was treated shabbily. "I did tell them, 'You know what, it has to be a qualification to work for your company that you have to be rude,'" she said.

Govan said she talked to a supervisor and he offered her two months free service, which she turned down.

Finally Wednesday, about two weeks after she got her bill, somebody from the company left a message on her answering machine in which the caller apologized.

Comcast officials said it shouldn't have happened.

"We only use the actual customers names on the bill," said Patricia Andrews-Keenan, a Comcast spokeswoman.

Company officials went through the records and identified two people who were involved with the name change and fired them, Andrews-Keenan said. It's unknown why the employees did it.

In another case, Peoples Energy customer Jefferoy Barnes started getting letters addressed to "Jeffery Scrotum Bag Barnes."

"I had no bad words at all. I guess the earliest letter is dated in May and from then on up until now my name has been listed as Jeffery Scrotum Bag Barnes and I have no idea why."

Barnes said he received an apologetic call from a company official. He also has contacted an attorney to determine if he can take legal action.

A Peoples Energy spokeswoman called the letter inexcusable.
Pratti said her family is very, very grateful to everyone for the support.

She said she didn't go into this wanting anything but an apology. "I thought this was just a simple thing, but obviously it's touched a nerve for a lot of people," Pratti said.

I have the name of a (former) housemate on my electricity bill and have done for years because he used to be a housemate but isn't anymore and now only he can get his name removed and I don't know where he is. He is of course of middle eastern extraction so I await a knock on the door one of these days (or nights). Slightly off topic of course.

IS this about "corporate discrimination and hatred" or individuals at specific locations? This thread title is seriously as bad as all the local NY media outlets running to connecticut to cover the movieplex sotry...and then (see above) writing about the coverage.

The first incident: Parkhill watefront grille seems like a small operation. Maybe a single owner. and I bet from here on out, they will have table numbers assigned to the checks instead of leaving it to the judgement of an individual waitress.

Item two: YES, it is wrong for that manager to do what he did. And I would say it has to do with the training. No offense to our younger posters here, but who is the "manager" at a cineplex on a Sunday afternoon? Probably a 17 year old kid. KID. Again, Loews apologized and will most likely create a sensitivity training for "managers" when it comes to the disabled (I hate using the term diabled).

Item three: Comcast fired the two customer service individuals that put "bitch dog" on her bill.

All three of these incidents concern INDIVIDUALS. And they have been dealt with by the corporations.

Sensible capitalists know that insulting customers is not a good way of holding onto them.

Writing in caps is annoying and sometimes seen as rude, Jeff.

Staff in service represent the company they work for. I dont see much point in sparing some faceless organisation regardles of how large, when the staff they hired fucked up. Age and especially when talking about someone as old as 17 (or potentially, as this is unknown and you have just thrown this in randomly) again makes no excuses. Sensitivity is not an issue in this either. People with disabilities cannot be excluded from public places. End of story. Doesnt matter how nicely you ask, or how old the requester is. It's just simply wrong. Or WRONG, if you will.

Angela Harlem said:

Staff in service represent the company they work for. I dont see much point in sparing some faceless organisation regardles of how large, when the staff they hired fucked up

I agree, it was merely a general title to encompass the three stories. That doesn't mean I think all individuals who work at the companies are insensitive and/or racist. I know that they're not and I don't need to be told that.

Is "Jew" really considered a racial slur? It might just be me here, but I don't see the big deal in labeling the people at the table as a "Jew couple" for personal identification purposes. I mean, if the waitress had put down "Jesus Killers," then I could see why people would be so outraged. But I don't see all of the fuss over "Jew couple." If I went into a predominetly black restaurant with my white girlfriend (me being white myself), I wouldn't mind being labeled as the "white couple." I mean, am I missing something here?

The incidents with the autistic child and the "bitch dog" were bad, though. Especially the former. The scrotum sack one was pretty bad too, but I have to admit I got a little laugh out of it. Call me an immature high-schooler if you will, but I thought it was kind of funny. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:
Is "Jew" really considered a racial slur? It might just be me here, but I don't see the big deal in labeling the people at the table as a "Jew couple" for personal identification purposes. I mean, if the waitress had put down "Jesus Killers," then I could see why people would be so outraged. But I don't see all of the fuss over "Jew couple." If I went into a predominetly black restaurant with my white girlfriend (me being white myself), I wouldn't mind being labeled as the "white couple." I mean, am I missing something here?

The incidents with the autistic child and the "bitch dog" were bad, though. Especially the former.

I agree. I feel sad that because of the past history, the word "Jew" is now treated as a racial slur or interpreted as such. I'm not saying the people don't have a right to feel hurt by that, I just think it's unfortunate that it's come to this. It sounds like the waitress was simply using words and phrases in her own terms to help her do her job. I think she needed a better system, but I don't think there was any malicious intent meant by that. I guess I'd have no problem with a waitress labelling me as "the Dutch girl", but "Dutch" isn't a loaded word like "Jew" can be. I wonder what difference it might have made if she'd even written "Jewish Couple" instead of "Jew Couple".....

I'd still view these as three individual incidents, not as evidence of corporate discrimination (no corporate policy to kick out autistic children).

A local talk show host (Bill Handel, who is Jewish) had the same response as described by XHendrix24 and LivLuvAndBootlegMusic. He described the incident as (using Irvine511's vernacular) as people looking to be offended.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I wonder what difference it might have made if she'd even written "Jewish Couple" instead of "Jew Couple".....

i agree -- that is a fine distinction.

it's not a perfect match-up, but you should never call people "Oriental" -- they are Asian. objects can be oriental, but never people.

likewise, to lable something as "Jew" just sounds derogatory, like "your Jew girlfriend" or "that Jew director" or "those Jew bankers" simply sounds different than "your Jewish girlfriend" or "that Jewish director" or "those Jewish bankers."

I understand that they're individual incidents nbc, like I've said I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It was tough to think of a title so that's the one I went with off the top of my head, nothing implied. I understand there's no corporate policy to kick out autistic kids, but there must be a lack of sensitivity training. I put up w/ noisy people all the time at movies and I've never seen anyone kicked out of the theater for it. But that person chose to make an issue over a boy w/ cp and autism. And like Angela said, there are clear cut policies for people w/ disabilities. Many theaters around here have been in trouble over violating the disabilities act re handicapped access, ramps, elevators, seating, etc.

I think writing "jew couple" is offensive, I don't think people are looking to be offended. That's just my sensibility on that. I think in 2005 there's no need or place for that.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
I think writing "jew couple" is offensive, I don't think people are looking to be offended. That's just my sensibility on that. I think in 2005 there's no need or place for that.

And I think that's where we differ. Where you may think that we've come a long enough way that we shouldn't need to label people as "Jew" and the like, I think that we've come a long enough way that people shouldn't be so offended by such semantics as the difference between "Jewish" and "Jew." Just two very different takes on the subject, I guess. :)

There's a difference between 'Jew couple' and 'Jewish couple'. Words are important.

Irvine511 said:
likewise, to lable something as "Jew" just sounds derogatory, like "your Jew girlfriend" or "that Jew director" or "those Jew bankers" simply sounds different than "your Jewish girlfriend" or "that Jewish director" or "those Jewish bankers."

Exactly correct.

financeguy said:
There's a difference between 'Jew couple' and 'Jewish couple'. Words are important.

Should they be, though? Especially in situations like this?

I seriously doubt the poor waitress meant any harm or offense to the couple in question, and to think that the addition of the suffix "-ish" may have yielded a different situation seems silly to me. :huh:

XHendrix24 said:

Should they be, though? Especially in situations like this?

I seriously doubt the poor waitress meant any harm or offense to the couple in question, and to think that the addition of the suffix "-ish" may have yielded a different situation seems silly to me. :huh:

i agree.

i would guess that a waitress in New Jersey probably knows and is friends with many, many Jews, and it was simply thoughtlessness on her part.

but i think the point does stand -- it was derogatory to refer to something as a "Jew" whatever, or to use the word "Jew" as a verb is simply derogatory.

gosh, didn't you all see "School Ties"?

;)

Irvine511 said:

but i think the point does stand -- it was derogatory to refer to something as a "Jew" whatever, or to use the word "Jew" as a verb is simply derogatory.

that's what I've always thought and believed

Maybe the most important point is that it was offensive to those Jewish people, not whether or not everyone/anyone else thinks it's offensive

A corporation might do it's best to avoid all of this, but ultimately it goes back to them and reflects poorly on them, whether it's legally discrimination or legally "hate" as in hate speech or hateful actions.

XHendrix24 said:

How did they know they were Jewish? Yes you are white and that's obvious, but how did they know they were Jewish?

Yes that's kind of the elephant in the room so to speak, how did they know? They assumed. And why would they even have to use that as a description- they wouldn't say "Catholic couple", would they?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
How did they know they were Jewish? Yes you are white and that's obvious, but how did they know they were Jewish?

Well, someone with the name 'Eliot Stein' is most likely Jewish.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Maybe they appeared Jewish (big nose and the like) or maybe the waitress was just going on the last name (Stein), which sounds like a traditional Jewish name.

Either way, the waitress was just using that name to identify for herself the customers. She apparently thought that they were Jewish, and she was merely using that observation so that she could identify their table.

But, even if they turned out not to be Jewish, would their mistaken identity be such a big deal? If someone mistakenly identified me as of Hispanic descent (I'm fairly tan and have brown hair - I'm actually Italian/Irish), I wouldn't be offended, I'd just correct them and then forget about it.

MrsSpringsteen said:
And why would they even have to use that as a description- they wouldn't say "Catholic couple", would they?

Well, if you're talking about the Jewish religion. The term "Jewish" can also be used to refer to more of a culture or an ethnicity (people from Israel), as well as to just people of the religion.

XHendrix24 said:

The term "Jewish" can also be used to refer to more of a culture or an ethnicity (people from Israel), as well as to just people of the religion.

Yes I understand that, but that's still irrelevant to this issue in my opinion

You really need to be careful about stereotypes such as "big noses"

MrsSpringsteen said:

Yes I understand that, but that's still irrelevant to this issue in my opinion

You really need to be careful about stereotypes such as "big noses"

Well, the question "how did they know they were Jewish?" is pretty irrelevant in the first place, because the couple was, indeed, Jewish.

Also, I don't think I'm being stereotypical by inferring that a large amount of the people with Jewish ethnicity have large noses and the like. I'm not saying that all Jewish people have big noses, I'm just inferring that it's a coomon trait. A large amount of Irish people have red hair, so I often connect red hair with being of Irish descent. Does that mean that I'm somehow perpetuating steroetypes by doing so? :huh:

XHendrix24 said:

Maybe they appeared Jewish (big nose and the like)
Well then you answered your own question as to why it's offensive.

XHendrix24 said:

or maybe the waitress was just going on the last name (Stein), which sounds like a traditional Jewish name.
If she knew their name prior to seating them, then why not put 'the Steins' on the ticket?

Back
Top Bottom