continuing our 'silly things people do' series, i propose spurger texas as a subject

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Texas school district nixes 'cross-dressing day'
By BOBBY ROSS JR.
Associated Press

Note to boys in the tiny Spurger, Texas, school district: Put away those high heels and pleated skirts. Instead, wear black boots and Army camouflage to school Wednesday.

A parent's concerns prompted the district 150 miles northeast of Houston to scrap its annual "TWIRP Day" -- when boys dress like girls and girls dress like boys-- in favor of "Camo Day."

TWIRP stands for "The Woman Is Requested to Pay," and for years Spurger schools hosted the day during Homecoming Week to give boys and girls a chance to reverse social roles and let older girls invite boys on dates, open doors and pay for sodas.
"It is outrageous that a school in a small town in East Texas would encourage their 4-year-olds to be cross-dressers," Liberty Legal Institute attorney Hiram Sasser said in the release.

Tanner T. Hunt Jr., the school district's attorney, called Sasser's statement "inflammatory and misleading." Hunt said the district never planned or conducted a "cross-dressing day."

"They are a tiny little East Texas school district," said Hunt, a Beaumont attorney. "It never occurred to them that anyone could find anything morally reprehensible about TWIRP Day. I mean, they've been having it for years, probably for generations, and it's the first time anybody has complained."

Delana Davies, a 33-year-old mother of three, said she contacted Superintendent Angela Matterson on Tuesday after reading a school notice about "TWIRP Day."

Davies, whose 9-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter attend Spurger Elementary, said she viewed the day not a silly Homecoming Week activity, but as an effort to push a homosexual agenda in a public school.

"It's like experimenting with drugs," said Davies, who also has a 2-year-old daughter. "You just keep playing with it and it becomes customary. ... If it's OK to dress like a girl today, then why is it not OK in the future?"

After speaking with the Liberty attorney, Matterson agreed to exempt Davies' son and older daughter from attending school on Wednesday. However, district officials later decided to scrap "TWIRP Day" altogether and replace it with "Camo Day," where students will wear camouflage clothing.
In Spurger, Davies said she will dress her son in camouflaged overalls and her daughter in a camouflaged T-shirt and denim skirt for "Camo Day."

"I'm happy that it's turned out like it has," she said. "But I don't want them pushing it on me again in a few years."

was the irony of trading 'gay-day', as it seems to be understood by this parent, for 'military day' lost on this school board?

:huh:

that's... bizarre.

might as well teach the kids from an early age that glorifying war and violence is more acceptable than thinking about societal gender roles.

So they think a four year old doing this for one day will make them have homosexual thoughts and/or leanings?

Personally I'm more frightened by four year olds wearing makeup and age inappropriate clothes in those kiddie beauty pageants.

Oh my wonderful home state.:|

This is just asinine!

Schools have been doing this for years. We had dances where the girls asked the guys. We had powderpuff games where the girls played football and the guys suited up as cheerleaders. It's called fun people, look it up. Listen homophobes it won't turn your straight child gay, just like combat boots and fatigues won't make your child into a soldier.

"It's like experimenting with drugs," said Davies, who also has a 2-year-old daughter. "You just keep playing with it and it becomes customary. ... If it's OK to dress like a girl today, then why is it not OK in the future?"

Davies may I suggest that you go back to school with your children. You may learn something. It's not like experimenting with drugs. It's nothing like that.

Fucking lunatics. They are all fucking lunatics. Of course, that's probably why they have children. :ohmy:

"School attorney Tanner Hunt told Reuters the Liberty group misrepresented TWIRP Day and made it sound sinister when it has always been innocent fun.

"I guarantee you nobody on the school board or in the administration ever had that cross their minds," Hunt said of the "cross-dressing" reference.

"Despite the change from TWIRP Day, Hunt said some of the students stuck to the old tradition and wore clothes of the opposite sex.

"I understand from the superintendent that some of the boys dressed in pink shorts anyway," he said."

So if this has been a long standing activity at this school, are there any statistics on how many kids have actually "turned gay" from participating? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom