Conservative Christian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
As a Christian, I've very often been misunderstood and inaccurately labelled a "conservative" Christian when really, I consider myself a more traditional Christian. I'm just curious to here what comes to mind when you guys hear "conservative Christian". What makes a Christian conservative vs. traditional, contemporary, liberal, etc? What's the difference between being just plain conservative or being a conservative Christian? What's your definition, from whatever perspective you're at, of a "conservative" Christian?

There are two that instantly jump to my mind:

1.The unrealistic, sterotypical, exaggerated, charactures you see in movies. Middle-aged people with no sense of humor who take every word of the bible literally, who punish their children if they weren't paying attention in church, who think the word 'crap' is one of the seven dirty words, who often seem to have no joy in life.

2.Absolutely out-of-mind stark-raving insane television evangilists like Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson.

Hmm...I guess there really isn't really a distinction between the terms "traditional" and "conservative." you see, conservatives are by their very nature traditionalists - they find wisdom in the past, and don't like change. I myself am a Christian (albeit one who doesn't go to church very often), and am often turned off by the rigidity of traditionalist Christians. I respect their willingness to stand up for certain values, but sometimes I think trad/conservative Christians are way too quick to judge others shortcomings. I mean, I don't think, for example, that homosexuality is morally correct, but I HATE the way that many traditional Christians treat gay people. What about love thy neighbor? What about do not judge lest ye be judged? Who made these people God anyway? Who's to say that a gay person can't go to heaven? Not me, not you, and not any other human on the face of this planet.

One that believes in absolutes, takes every word of the Bible as a literal word spoken from God, and feels the need to bring those beliefs into politics and into other people's lives.

I guess I should answer my own questions. I've always seen conservative Christians as Christians with fundamentalists beliefs regarding the Bible and a rather arrogant, exclusive theology. Also, it seems they tend to withdraw from or radically shun society rather than trying to engage in society in order to change it through example.

starvinmarvin said:
Hmm...I guess there really isn't really a distinction between the terms "traditional" and "conservative." you see, conservatives are by their very nature traditionalists - they find wisdom in the past, and don't like change. I myself am a Christian (albeit one who doesn't go to church very often), and am often turned off by the rigidity of traditionalist Christians. I respect their willingness to stand up for certain values, but sometimes I think trad/conservative Christians are way too quick to judge others shortcomings. I mean, I don't think, for example, that homosexuality is morally correct, but I HATE the way that many traditional Christians treat gay people. What about love thy neighbor? What about do not judge lest ye be judged? Who made these people God anyway? Who's to say that a gay person can't go to heaven? Not me, not you, and not any other human on the face of this planet.

Question: why do you paint conservative and traditionalist Christians with the same brush? I consider myself a traditional Christian. I prefer a much more traditional style of worship and as a Calvinist, a more traditional theology. But my "traditionalness" does not extend beyond the realm of religion. Can you see how it's offensive to assume a traditional Christian is automatically politically and socially conservative?

Firstly I think of people who like to claim the Bible is to be interpreted literally, but in reality mean they believe particular verses are to be interpreted literally as and when it suits them.

Secondly I think of people who condemn homosexuality, believe women should be subordinate to men, etc.

Third, I think of people like Falwell, Robertson and the like. Because as much as some people in FYM would like us to believe these people don't represent conservative Christianity, you have to wonder if they're regarded by conservative Christians as a bunch of nutjobs, how is it that they occupy positions of high visibility and influence?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Question: why do you paint conservative and traditionalist Christians with the same brush? I consider myself a traditional Christian. I prefer a much more traditional style of worship and as a Calvinist, a more traditional theology. But my "traditionalness" does not extend beyond the realm of religion. Can you see how it's offensive to assume a traditional Christian is automatically politically and socially conservative?

Well, all i can say is good for you. From my experience, most traditionlist Christians are conservatives as well - the kind whose traditionalism extends to all things in life. Believe me, I've experienced enough of this to know what I'm talking about. I was forced to attend such a church as a child, and much of my family is in that same vein as well. I wish that more Christians could be more politically and socially liberal, but I'm afraid that brand of Christian pretty rare (in North America, that is). I understand why you take offense, but you have to understand that you're a rarity - a Christian who is tolerant of others.

starvinmarvin said:

Well, all i can say is good for you. From my experience, most traditionlist Christians are conservatives as well - the kind whose traditionalism extends to all things in life. Believe me, I've experienced enough of this to know what I'm talking about. I was forced to attend such a church as a child, and much of my family is in that same vein as well. I wish that more Christians could be more politically and socially liberal, but I'm afraid that brand of Christian pretty rare (in North America, that is). I understand why you take offense, but you have to understand that you're a rarity - a Christian who is tolerant of others.

Yeah, but just because a LOT of traditionalist Christians are also conservative still doesn't mean it's OK to use those terms interchangeably, right? I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Christianity, but please don't assume it to be normal. Just because people might consider others like me a "rarity" doesn't mean the stereotype is in any way fair or acceptable, IMO.

when I think of conservative Christians I dont really think about the ultra right wing whack-jobs. I think more of people like George Bush (W).

It just struck me how weird it is that he can use Christianity to justify his actions and beliefs and at the same time I use Christianity to justify mine when I am nearly the polar opposite of everything he says and does.

Does that make me a Liberal Christian?

I guess it's all relative.

Yeah, but just because a LOT of traditionalist Christians are also conservative still doesn't mean it's OK to use those terms interchangeably, right? I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Christianity, but please don't assume it to be normal. Just because people might consider others like me a "rarity" doesn't mean the stereotype is in any way fair or acceptable, IMO.

I don't know....it just seems like maybe you shouldn't think of yourself as a "traditionalist," because by definition a conservative is traditional in belief and practice. Just because you accept the authority of the Bible doesn't mean that you are a traditionalist. It just means that you are a Christian. That's all.

starvinmarvin said:

I don't know....it just seems like maybe you shouldn't think of yourself as a "traditionalist," because by definition a conservative is traditional in belief and practice. Just because you accept the authority of the Bible doesn't mean that you are a traditionalist. It just means that you are a Christian. That's all.

My worship style and theology is VERY traditional, there's not really another way to describe it. I don't feel I should re-label myself because of what others think. :shrug:

My worship style and theology is VERY traditional, there's not really another way to describe it. I don't feel I should re-label myself because of what others think. :shrug:

Well, I just don't think you've labelled yourself correctly. You're a Christian, right? Isn't that an accurate enough label?

starvinmarvin said:

Damn... I see a lot of myself in that post.... Judge not, lest ye be judged. Good stuff.

starvinmarvin said:

Well, I just don't think you've labelled yourself correctly. You're a Christian, right? Isn't that an accurate enough label?

I would hope so, but it's not really the point here...

So are you saying that you think I'm a conservative Christian? If so, I'd like to know your definition of a conservative Christian so I can properly defend myself...

I would hope so, but it's not really the point here...

So are you saying that you think I'm a conservative Christian? If so, I'd like to know your definition of a conservative Christian so I can properly defend myself...

When I think of a conservative Christian, I think of someone who tries to steamroll non-Christians with their beliefs, instead of leading by example. I see someone who automatically judges "sinners" - whether its gays, women who've had abortions, or Muslims, etc - with barely concealed hatred, and uses Scripture as a defense for their beliefs. I see someone who detests change, and automatically thinks that it must be sinful. I also see people who want the law of the land to be the Bible, and that want to establish a theocratic, Christian version of Iran.

If I understand what you are trying to tell me about yourself, I see that you believe that the Bible is the absolute word of God, and that you live your life according to it as best you can. However, you wouldn't attempt to force others to do the same.

in short, I believe:

Traditional/Conservative Christian = Holier Than Thou
Christian = Love thy neighbor

BonoVoxSupastar said:
One that believes in absolutes, takes every word of the Bible as a literal word spoken from God, and feels the need to bring those beliefs into politics and into other people's lives.

Is that all three, or any one of the three?

Also, does "takes every word of the Bible as a literal word spoken from God" include the consept of the Bible as infallible.

Many people in my parish are what I would consider conservative Christians, but since they are Catholic I would just lump them in with the conservative branch of the Catholic Church. There's the power of the word "tradition" in our church as well because we base our faith on both tradition and Scripture. I look at Protestants differently. To me a biblical literalist is going to be a "conservative" Christian; a traditional Christian will be one like yourself. I'm surrounded by biblical literalists. By the same token, I'd consider my neighbors, Lebanese Maronite Catholics, "traditional" as well because of their display of saints in their house.

I think there are two different ways of looking at it.

One is from a religious point of view. I would say that my grandmother is a conservative Christian (she is Catholic). She regularly attended Church when she was still healthy enough to do so, she follows observances, prays the rosary, agrees with Church theology regarding things like abortion, premarital sex and so on. But she is completely apolitical, doesn't bother voting and would never bring her beliefs into the political domain.

Then you have the conservative Christians who are extremely politically active, who believe in a state sponsored theocracy or some degree thereof, whose religion and religious beliefs happen to permeate their entire social fabric and they would also seemingly like it to permeate the society as a whole.

The first group doesn't bother me in the least. The second group continues to want to infringe on what I perceive to be my rights as a citizen in a secular state and them, I could most certainly do without. So that's my honest answer.

anitram said:

One is from a religious point of view. I would say that my grandmother is a conservative Christian (she is Catholic). She regularly attended Church when she was still healthy enough to do so, she follows observances, prays the rosary, agrees with Church theology regarding things like abortion, premarital sex and so on. But she is completely apolitical, doesn't bother voting and would never bring her beliefs into the political domain.

Then you have the conservative Christians who are extremely politically active, who believe in a state sponsored theocracy or some degree thereof, whose religion and religious beliefs happen to permeate their entire social fabric and they would also seemingly like it to permeate the society as a whole.

The first group doesn't bother me in the least. The second group continues to want to infringe on what I perceive to be my rights as a citizen in a secular state and them, I could most certainly do without. So that's my honest answer.

Good comparison - spiritual vs. political.

starvinmarvin said:

I see that you believe that the Bible is the absolute word of God, and that you live your life according to it as best you can.

:ohmy: Actually, I don't believe in the inerrancy of Scripture.

anitram said:

:yes: I like this and I agree. I wish some of the fellow church people would see that seperation of church and state is in fact mutually beneficial. Not to mention that trying to turn religion into legislation is just plain wrong.

:ohmy: Actually, I don't believe in the inerrancy of Scripture.

I'm surprised you don't believe that. I remember you saying before that you were a Calvinist, but maybe that isn't part of Calvinism, though I think it is. I'm a Calvinist as well and do believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, though it is hard at times, just like it is hard to be a Calvinist at times.

Dreadsox said:
Surprize....its the my christianity is better than yours thread:(

My apologies...I do not think that is your intent to be clear....it is the direction I fear it is headed.....

Back
Top Bottom