Congressman Jim Nussle Insensitive to Global AIDS Crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
Congressman Jim Nussle Insensitive to Global AIDS Crisis
WASHINGTON, March 16 -- The Global AIDS Alliance today said Congressman Jim Nussle (R-IA) was being "insensitive" to millions of people around the world suffering from AIDS. Congressman Nussle led the House Budget Committee last week in reducing funds available for global AIDS and poverty programs by $4.5 billion. His committee is expected to finalize the cut tomorrow."Only a year ago Congressman Nussle visited Namibia and South Africa and saw the devastation caused by AIDS, yet he seems to already have forgotten the faces of the children and families that need our help," said Dr. Paul Zeitz, Executive Director of the Global AIDS Alliance. "If the full Congress follows his lead, effective AIDS programs like the Global Fund will find it impossible to keep up with the expanding epidemic. This action is not only insensitive; it directly harms America?s effort to be a friend to countries facing health catastrophes and destabilizing poverty.? "Following his trip to Africa last year Rep. Nussle said he supported bold action to stop AIDS, and he said doing so was vital to global security," noted Dr. Zeitz.. "We hope the Congressman will recall this commitment and back the spending needed for America to keep its promises."
Chairman Nussle advocates limiting all spending for 2005 at what had been approved for 2004, while allowing only military and security spending to increase. Funding for AIDS, TB and malaria programs would be frozen at $2.4 billion, $400 million less than what had been proposed by the President. Total funding in 2005 would be $3 billion less than what is needed for even a minimal response to these health threats, even though the CIA has warned AIDS is expanding to areas critical to US national security.
36 major humanitarian and religious organizations, including Lutheran World Relief and numerous Catholic groups, had written to Chairman Nussle urging he make room in the budget for what they termed a "realistic" response to AIDS. Philip L. Hougen, Lutheran Bishop of the Southeastern Iowa Synod, had also sent an urgent appeal, noting the close relationship of local Lutheran congregations to those in Tanzania, hard hit by AIDS.
Congressman Nussle's actions are in stark contrast to the tremendous leadership shown by a bi-partisan group of Senators, headed by Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN), who last week ensured the Senate version of the 2005 Budget included expanded funding for AIDS and poverty programs. An amendment offered by Senators Lugar, Durbin and others reversed a reduction to international affairs spending that had been approved in the Budget Committee. The full Congress may soon decide on a final budget number

I don't understand this guy :sigh: :eyebrow:

Here's some info from DATA

Everyday in Africa, more than 6,000 people die from AIDS, leaving behind a generation of orphans. Many of these lives could be saved if they had access to lifesaving medicine and clean drinking water.

Thankfully, Congress and the President have agreed on a bipartisan plan to deal with this urgent crisis.

But one person is standing in their way: Iowa?s Congressman Jim Nussle.

Everyone from President Bush to Senator Kerry agree that now is the time for Americans to do something to stop the misery caused by AIDS and poverty in Africa.

We need Jim Nussle to lead.

We need Iowa?s influence, your influence, to make the world a better place.

Now it?s up to YOU. Call 877-HOPE USA. We?ll connect you to Congressman Nussle?s office. Ask why he is cutting the President?s international assistance request.

Call 1-877- HOPE-USA. Tell Congressman Nussle to support the bi-partisan plan to save lives.

www.datadata.org really is a great website! I live in the state of Maryland and I was able to e-mail my congressman, in care of data.. C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger (does support the original budget, to be spent on Aids, in Africa and other third world countries). And I also recieve a letter from his office, thanking me for getting involved! If you live in Iowa please make your voice heard. Thanks.

Yes I second that .. thank you.. thank you .. thank you
And DATA yes a great organization .. my humble thanks

Back
Top Bottom