Come On Down, It's A Jihad On The Auto Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I cannot believe they would create an ad like that and that ANY radio station would play it. I guess just the free publicity from the controversy will result in the desired effect, though I don't know who would want to do business with people who would come up with that stuff.."tongue in cheek"? Yeah, it's hilarious

http://www.dispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/09/23/20060923-D1-04.html

"Sales representatives "will be wearing burqas all weekend long," the ad says. One of the vehicles on sale "can comfortably seat up to 12 jihadists in the back."

"Our prices are lower than the evildoers’ every day. Just ask the pope! " the ad says. "Friday is fatwa Friday, with free rubber swords for the kiddies."

Asma Mobin-Uddin said she is concerned the ad’s tone and imagery are "mocking and disrespectful to many different areas. One is Islamic faith and Islamic culture."

Good. Since when are they exempt?
A sense of humor and the assurance in one's beliefs to allow criticism, is exactly what's missing in much of the Islamic world. Otherwise you wouldn't have intolerance, murder and rioting over newspaper cartoons or words spoken 700 years ago. Rioting meant to intimidate and force capitulation as much as to vent anger.

verte76 said:
This is tasteless, to say the least.

I agree. I don't think it should be illegal, but this is definitely an idiodic thing to do.

Even if it was targeted to mock radical Islam, it's obviously offensive to any Muslim in the moderate community, or anyone of Middle Eastern descent.

Back
Top Bottom