CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll - Only 13% Blame Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport

Refugee
A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

MORE

Government Performance -- 10% said George W. Bush has done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 25% said "good"; 21% said "neither good nor bad"; 18% said "bad"; 24% said "terrible"; 2% had no opinion. -- 8% said federal government agencies responsible for handling emergencies have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 27% said "good"; 20% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 22% said "terrible"; 3% had no opinion. -- 7% said state and local officials in Louisiana have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 30% said "good"; 23% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 15% said "terrible"; 5% had no opinion.

Despite the barrage of liberal bashing against Bush for his supposed mishandling of the Katrina crisis, the American public understands that he isn't to blame.

Yet another illustration of the growing disconnect between the Democratic Party and mainstream America.

MaxFisher said:
Yet another illustration of the growing disconnect between the Democratic Party and mainstream America.

Criticisim of Bush has come from many directions, not only from the Democrats.

In any case, I find the headline given to this poll to be quite misleading. 42% of people described Bush's handling of events as either "terrible" or "bad" with only 35% decribing it as "great" or "good" -- more people disapprove of his handling of events than approve of it.

In contrast, 37% felt local officials response was "great" or "good" with 35% rating it "bad" or "terrible." In other words -- their evaluation of local officials response is more favourable than their evaluation of Bush's response.

Certainly not an overwhelmingly positive poll for the President.

If Clinton had been in charge during this disaster and we had the same results, you can bet your sweet ass people (including liberals) would still be demanding answers.

Much of the anger out there right now is NOT about Bush bashing.

And PUH-LEEZE, this was a poll of 609 freaking people. How is that anyway representative of freaking ANYTHING?

Yes - obviously we are dealing with the American intellect here when in the same poll 38% says there is "no one to blame".

u2bonogirl said:
Tell me how its bushes fault if the government told New Orleans that they were on their own for the first 48 hours after a disaster? :scratch:

To liberals it doesn't really matter how it could be Bush's fault. He's to blame by default.

corianderstem said:

And PUH-LEEZE, this was a poll of 609 freaking people. How is that anyway representative of freaking ANYTHING?

This is why I generally ignore polls. A majority of them don't poll enough people to make the results legitimate, if that makes any sense.

And while I'm as big a Clinton lover as the next person ;), I'd be just as angry with his administration if this had been handled the same way on his watch.

u2bonogirl said:
Tell me how its bushes fault if the government told New Orleans that they were on their own for the first 48 hours after a disaster? :scratch:

I'm not sure what it is you're asking.

Do you mean that Bush can't be held responsible because the initial response was supposedly the responsibility of local government? In which case I would point out that firstly it shouldn't have been left to local government, and secondly even if it was left to local government for 48 hours, the response continued to be utterly inadequate long after that.

Or do you mean that Bush shouldn't be held responsible for decisions made by the government? In which case...well, the answer is obvious, isn't it?

Actually if you look at this thread or this one or even this one your questions will be answered in more detail.

MaxFisher said:
To liberals it doesn't really matter how it could be Bush's fault. He's to blame by default.

Bush has received plenty of criticism from politicians who are anything but "liberals."

And if you look at the threads I recommended to u2bonogirl then you'll see that there are plenty of reasons for people calling into question Bush's handling of the relief effort.

These are awfully strange categories for a poll. How can you say "niether bad nor good"? How can you NOT have an opinion at this point? How can you have a category that says "no one is to blame"? I'm sure everyone blames SOMEONE.

Wow. When he said "war", he means war. The first step is brainwashing us and telling us what to think. I am quite sure he is using every means at his disposal. A few weeks of these polls, we'll forget we were ever outraged at all. One thing I will never forget to my dying day is that day after day, month after month, is that for perhaps the first time ever, during Monicagate, there were NO public opinion polls.

And you'll notice that it's all about blaming Bush. It's not "who is to balme"? But aobut Bush. The first step: deflect attention away from him. By creating this incredulous category of "no blame", we'llonly see the locals get the most blame.

How did they choose the 609 adults? I wonder.

Where are the calls for a Comission now?

Last edited:
I would day I'm more moderate than liberal, I don't say Bush is to blame by default for anything. But what was that sign on Harry Truman's desk, something about the buck stops here...

Just for me personally, if I'm not questioning if my representatives and President (regardless of political affiliation) aren't doing their jobs properly I'm not doing my duty as a voting citizen and member of a democracy.

Someone will take the fall for this, my guess would be the FEMA guy. It will become a political necessity.

MaxFisher said:

I'll let the ignorance of this comment fall under its own weight.

So are you saying some tricky Bush agents infiltrated the CNN/USA Today offices and secretly created the "no blame" category?

I am sure the mathematicians who work for CNN and USA Today know what they are doing. But why depend on sound mathematics and statistical analysis when undeducated knee jerk reactions are so much easier?

corianderstem said:
If Clinton had been in charge during this disaster and we had the same results, you can bet your sweet ass people (including liberals) would still be demanding answers.

Much of the anger out there right now is NOT about Bush bashing.

O.k., I'll take your bet and raise you on the sweet ass people.:wink:

Yes...609 people. I would say that's far more representative than the commentary here in FYM - where 85% or more of threads and posted articles have been primarily about Bush bashing or administration bashing or Barbara Bush bashing or Dick Chaney bashing.

Westport said:

Yes...609 people. I would say that's far more representative than the commentary here in FYM - where 85% or more of threads and posted articles have been primarily about Bush bashing or administration bashing or Barbara Bush bashing or Dick Chaney bashing.

Well said.

MaxFisher said:

yes, Newt Gingrich is such a liberal.

please, stop with the Coulterisms and using the word "liberal" as if it had any sort of meaning beyond your own political expediency.

let's see what the polls say in a week or two.

David Gergen -- hardly a "liberal" by your definition, and advisor to Republican and Democatic presidents -- spoke about this poll this morning and he essentially dismissed it, saying that people are still putting together the pieces of the puzzle and assessing the damage for themselves.

just wait.

there is plenty of blame that should be heading this way... of course, the bush haters in the press, of which there are many, are using this opening as an opportunity to smack him up... using every angle they can... even going as far as to blaming the actual hurricaine on bush not signing kyoto.

the reality is that equal blame can be placed on the local, state and federal governments... that includes new orleans' african-american mayor, louisiana's democratic governor, and the republican president.

people are blaming the lack of response on race... yet the african-american mayor of new orleans had evacuees go to the superdome and the convention center, yet did not provide adequette security, food, water, beds, bathrooms, bathing facilities, power generators, etc. etc. etc. that was his job, and he failed... miserably.

it's the job of the governor of louisiana to call in the national guard. but she, a democrat mind you, did not have national guardsmen in place before the storm struck... one simple phone call would have had these men/women in place to move in the second the tragedy took place. but of course, in a country obsessed with the bottom line, she didn't want to waste tax payer dollars on something that might happen, so this was not done. that was her job, and she failed... miserably.

after the tragedy in new orleans struck, it was the job of FEMA and the Office of Homeland Security to get the appropriate personel, equipment & supplies to assist in the recovery efforts, clean-up and rebuilding. the director of FEMA, by his own admission did not even know that the levee's had broken in new orleans until tuesday afternoon... even though the story was posted on the new york times webpage monday evening. an organization that was put in place... Homeland Security... to provide an immediate response to large scale national emergencies, took 3 days to get mobolized. all of this was the job of brown and chertoff... they failed... miserably.

which leads us, finally, to president bush. he put these men in charge. they are under his watch. so if they fail, he fails. as was already said once in this thread... "the buck stops here." his entire administration... the reason why i voted for him a second time despite disagreeing with him often... is based around securing our nation against another attack, while at the same time putting the proper preparations into place just in case something happened here again. well here was a perfect test run of a large chunk of what he based his entire campaign around... and it, and therfore he, failed... miserably.

let us not let anyone off the hook... anyone...

but let's not let our party affiliations skew our vision, leading us to take shots just for the sake of taking shots. there's plenty of shit to throw around as it is... no need to make up that which does not exist.

cheers,

H

registered republican and voter for bush... twice.

Last edited:
elfyx said:

I'll let the ignorance of this comment fall under its own weight.

:lol:

You just don't get it do you? People see through the constant anger and blame liberals project towards Bush. Didn't you learn anything from the past presidential election?

I'll let the ingnorance of people like you and the ignorance of the democratic party continue to allow more and more republican election wins.

Westport said:

oh fuck that.

criticizing a DISASTEROUS reaction to a natural disaster is anything but simplistic Bush bashing.

everyone, but EVERYONE, on all sides of the political spectrum is aghast with how incompetent government was at all levels, but especially the federal level and have marvelled at how ineffectual and callow Bush has been.

It WON"T be a political necessity. That's what maufactured polls like this (where the process of selection choosing those 609 people is NOT revealed) one are for. They're using every means at thier disposal to try to teach us what to think and make us forget what we saw last week . From now on, people who are angry and want a Commission to get answers will be fighting "polls" and thus the perception that they are "out of touch" with the rest of America. At this point, this early in the game, anger cuts across al politcal parties and EVERONE wants answers.

Bush has said he will lead an "investigation" to find out what went wrong. But they lead nowhere. Remember the "investigation" into Abu Gharib? Bush and Ashcroft gave their "testimony" behind closed doors. Who knows, maybe they just sat around with the judge and drank coffee and had a laugh for an hour. In contrast, a Commission is by nature a purely public excecise, since it necessitates how and investigation will be conducted. There will have to be public testimony from all relevant parties, who can be subpeonoed to testify, and the panel can subpenoa documents. Bush and co will point to these "polls" and say, "the people are not angry at us" and if any group (even those set up by refugess, and don't think they won't eventually organize of they are ignored--but Bush and co will see to that by making everyone blame only the locals) tries to march or sue the gov't (like the 9/11 familes did) for answers, they'll say, "You're out of touch. Wake up and MOVE ON" (no pun intended.) This is a brilliant way to sow the seeds for the renewed politcal polarization of America.

I find it strange that on Friday, people said 85% they did not like Bush's initial handlng of the disaster. They were distrustful of photo ops. But now, after one day of baby kissing during the 2nd week, the polls have turned around? COME ON. I think it has to do with a lot of the media being kept away from refugees and not asking hard0hitting questions like they did last week, and the sudden, disappeaance of local officials from the airwaves whne Bush began this second tour, even though they were allover on Firday and sAt. Again, this goes back to renwed coroprate control after they had lost it. Muzzling reporters again .

Hey, I took a course in public relations and learned some very unbsavory things. I was expecting this.

All I can say is, if we allow them to brainwash us into not pressuring for Federal reform and Federal accountabilty (as well as local), if they make us forget how Homeland Security had its share of the blame for failing us, then we deserve whatever in the future we get.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
there is plenty of blame that should be heading this way... of course, the bush haters in the press, of which there are many, are using this opening as an opportunity to smack him up... using every angle they can... even going as far as to blaming the actual hurricaine on bush not signing kyoto.

the reality is that equal blame can be placed on the local, state and federal governments... that includes new orleans' african-american mayor, louisiana's democratic governor, and the republican president.

people are blaming the lack of response on race... yet the african-american mayor of new orleans had evacuees go to the superdome and the convention center, yet did not provide adequette security, food, water, beds, bathrooms, bathing facilities, power generators, etc. etc. etc. that was his job, and he failed... miserably.

it's the job of the governor of louisiana to call in the national guard. but she, a democrat mind you, did not have national guardsmen in place before the storm struck... one simple phone call would have had these men/women in place to move in the second the tragedy took place. but of course, in a country obsessed with the bottom line, she didn't want to waste tax payer dollars on something that might happen, so this was not done. that was her job, and she failed... miserably.

after the tragedy in new orleans struck, it was the job of FEMA and the Office of Homeland Security to get the appropriate personel, equipment & supplies to assist in the recovery efforts, clean-up and rebuilding. the director of FEMA, by his own admission did not even know that the levee's had broken in new orleans until tuesday afternoon... even though the story was posted on the new york times webpage monday evening. an organization that was put in place... Homeland Security... to provide an immediate response to large scale national emergencies, took 3 days to get mobolized. all of this was the job of brown and chertoff... they failed... miserably.

which leads us, finally, to president bush. he put these men in charge. they are under his watch. so if they fail, he fails. his entire administration... the reason why i voted for him a second time despite disagreeing with him often... is based around securing our nation against another attack, while at the same time putting the proper preparations into place just in case something happened here again. well here was a perfect test run of a large chunk of what he based his entire campaign around... and it, and therfore, he failed... miserably.

let us not let anyone off the hook... anyone...

but let's not let our party affiliations skew our vision, leading us to take shots just for the sake of taking shots. there's plenty of shit to throw around as it is... no need to make up that which does not exist.

cheers,

H

registered republican and voter for bush... twice.

Very well said.

MaxFisher said:
I am sure the mathematicians who work for CNN and USA Today know what they are doing. But why depend on sound mathematics and statistical analysis when undeducated knee jerk reactions are so much easier?

I'm sure they do, at least as much as any other pollster does. 609 is a smaller sample size than many polls but although I haven't seen any info on the methodology, I assume they used the normal procedures for obtaining a representative sample. I'll try to find some more info on that later though.

In any case, I think that even depending on the "sound mathematics and statistical analysis" of this poll doesn't give a good account of Bush's response. As I said in my previous post, more people disapprove than approve of his response and people have a more favourable view of local officials response than Bush's response.

So even using the evidence you prefer (ie this poll) doesn't give a positive view of Bush's actions.

MaxFisher said:

:lol:

You just don't get it do you? People see through the constant anger and blame liberals project towards Bush. Didn't you learn anything from the past presidential election?

I'll let the ingnorance of people like you and the ignorance of the democratic party continue to allow more and more republican election wins.

yes.

i learned that having the president and vice president tell people that they will die if the vote for democrats while at the same time tapping into the huge currents of homophobia stoked by churches across the heartland while resorting to the lowest of the lowest poltical attack ads of blatant lies wins you elections.

Headache, can we just post that over and over again in all the threads pertaining to Hurricane Katrina? That was very well-said and pretty much sums up what I feel ... other than who I voted for. :wink:

Irvine511 said:

oh fuck that.

criticizing a DISASTEROUS reaction to a natural disaster is anything but simplistic Bush bashing.

everyone, but EVERYONE, on all sides of the political spectrum is aghast with how incompetent government was at all levels, but especially the federal level and have marvelled at how ineffectual and callow Bush has been.

Just read half of your own threads and postings.

Westport said:

Just read half of your own threads and postings.

yes.

you'll find them well supported, researched, focused on all levels of government and pulling from respected, non-partisan sources such as the NYT, WaPo, LAT, various *conservative* blogs, and nightly news casts.

but why bother thinking?

Also: A friendly mod reminder, please try to conduct your discussion without calling others ignorant or making broad generalisations about people based on their political beliefs. Obviously there are strong opinions on both sides of the discussion but please try to keep this thread friendly, civil and respectful of others. Thank-you. :)

Back
Top Bottom