CNN Reports: Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/09/18/relations.ap/index.html

Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'
September 18, 2002 Posted: 11:17 AM EDT (1517 GMT)

story.bush.jpg

Bush is known to be an admirer of Winston Churchill

LONDON, England (AP) -- Princess Diana, Winston Churchill and George W. Bush are distant relatives whose ancestry can be traced back to a 15th century English squire, genealogists say.

Researchers for the U.S.-based company MyFamily.com found that the trio's roots can be traced to Henry Spencer of Badby, Northamptonshire.

Badby lived between 1420-1478 and was married to Isabella Lincoln.

According to a family tree published on the company's Web site, one of their two sons, William, founded the line that would produce Churchill and Diana, Princess of Wales, whose maiden name was Spencer.

The daughter of the other son, John, married Sir William Cope and the descendants of this line settled in the New World.

They included Anne Marbury, who moved from Lincolnshire, England to Massachusetts during the 1600s.

A direct descendent, Harriet Fay, married James Bush, the great-great grandfather of the current president, said the company, which has a license to publish British census records from 1841 to 1901 on the Internet.

Bush is known to be an admirer of Churchill and keeps in the Oval Office a bronze bust of the British leader -- a loan from Prime Minister Tony Blair.

When he received the bust in July 2001, Bush joked that he hoped to develop a personal relationship with the late wartime premier.

"I look forward to visiting with him," Bush said.

"Sometimes he'll talk back and sometimes he won't, depending on the stresses of the moment."

A spokeswoman for MyFamily.com said the discovery was made only recently, and further research was ongoing to find out more about Henry Spencer.

Bush's apparent royal connections have been revealed before.

According to Gary Boyd Roberts, a genealogist at the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston, Bush is descended from British royalty going as far back as 12th century King Henry I, the son of William the Conqueror.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Genealogy is incredible. I've been amazed by my very own genealogy. Some great sites to start your own genealogy research are www.genealogy.com and www.ancestry.com . Together they have the 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1900, and 1920 census's indexed by name. They are finishing indexing the other census's and have the images you can look at if you know where your ancestor lived on a particular census that is not yet indexed. Census are a great source of info for genealogy and the place to start.

HelloAngel said:
LONDON, England (AP) -- Princess Diana, Winston Churchill and George W. Bush are distant relatives whose ancestry can be traced back to a 15th century English squire, genealogists say.

I honestly don't know who I feel most sorry for.

But imagine the English squire getting brought back from the dead and seeing what he unleashed on the world.

(NB: I'm kidding. It's a fun thread, don't take my comments seriously.)

Re: Re: CNN Reports: Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I honestly don't know who I feel most sorry for.

But imagine the English squire getting brought back from the dead and seeing what he unleashed on the world.

(NB: I'm kidding. It's a fun thread, don't take my comments seriously.)

Don't worry I don't take your comments seriously!!!!!

I AM KIDDING You have a very kind heart!!!!!!

I swear....I am teasing you

Peace to all

That is quite amusing, considering I can trace myself quite directly / indirectly into King Louis XVI and King Henry IV of France, and, due to the inbreeding nature of royalty, most of the rest of European nobility. Does that make Dubya one of my distant relatives? :p

Melon

NO. Henry Spencer, the common link between Churchhill, Bush, and Princess Diana was not Royalty. The word squire in England is a title of respect given to a large rural landowner; country gentleman. If you go to ancestry.com they correctly show how everything is linked. W and Prince William are 18th cousins! Churchill is a 16th cousin twice removed to W and Prince William. George Bush I is the 17th cousin to Princess Diana. His son W is 17th cousin once removed to Princess Diana.

Can you really trace your roots back to King Louis the XVI? If so what your relationship to him? GGGGGGGGGREAT Grandfather or something like that?

How weird is that!
I'm related to William the Conqueror, I dont know how directly...But I wonder if melon and I are related somewhere?
:wink:

I'm always a bit skeptical when someone says their related to this person or that person from 800 years ago. People often generalize with names. What was done with the Bush, Prince William, Churchhill triangle was the use of vital records and census records to confirm the conection of each generation going back in order to finally connect all three.

So, what does this tell us?

Don?t forget that your roots are in funky old Europe, Mister President.

Angela Harlem said:
How weird is that!
I'm related to William the Conqueror, I dont know how directly...But I wonder if melon and I are related somewhere?
:wink:

Nah, I think you're related with me! :D I'm Dutch (and William the Conqueror was Dutch), so we can be family.

Hi! :wave:

C ya!

Marty

STING2 said:
Can you really trace your roots back to King Louis the XVI? If so what your relationship to him? GGGGGGGGGREAT Grandfather or something like that?

His first cousin founded my hometown in the late 1700s. My grandmother is one of his direct descendents.

And, yes, it is quite an entangled family tree. ;) Truthfully, though, just think of the nature of procreation and just branch it out over hundreds of years. Quite frankly, probably a lot of us have "royal ties" if you dig far enough, but with some of us just having more direct ties than others. "Six degrees of separation," yes?

Melon

Ahhh, So the true link is actually Louis the XVI Grandparents. The question is which set of Grandparents, the ones on the throne or the other set which must have been nobility. What type of records do you have which connect the founder of the town as Louis XVI first cousin?

While people with common names like Smith and Wilson, may not have any relationship with each other no matter how far you go back, I have discovered that I'm that 75% of the people with my surname in the USA are in addition to my more immediated family, 2nd cousin's through 9th cousins to me. Of course the number is 4 times that at least of people who are part of this family but no longer carry the surname. The number of people that one has as a 20th cousin could well go past several hundred thousand, maybe even a million. If you go back far enough, were all cousins.

I'm gonna have to start researching my own family history...I'm dying to find out who some of my ancestors are.

I know someone whose ancestor is Edgar Allen Poe.

As for the news story...poor Diana, being related to Bush (no offense...*holds up hands to protect herself just in case*).

Angela

Popmartijn said:

Nah, I think you're related with me! :D I'm Dutch (and William the Conqueror was Dutch), so we can be family.

Hi! :wave:

C ya!

Marty

He's Dutch????? Oh man! I dont know how this works then. My dad had someone in his family trace the family name back, in England. The name is Norman, and fairly rare. Its been in England for centuries, but because of the unique spelling, something to do with the absent letter 'a' in traditional 'eaux' names, allowed them to trace it back to when he conquered England or something. I dont know the history and dont really know how significant the name is...But thats all I know! he must have slept with some French people, or had kids that did...I dunno...Just dunno.
:D

STING2 said:
Ahhh, So the true link is actually Louis the XVI Grandparents. The question is which set of Grandparents, the ones on the throne or the other set which must have been nobility. What type of records do you have which connect the founder of the town as Louis XVI first cousin?

There are geneological records, none of which, unfortunately, are in front of me in this exact moment.

Of course, you do have every right to be skeptical. Do remember, however, that SE Michigan was colonized by the French originally, and that, 250+ years ago, we were technically part of Quebec at one time. History is always quite amusing...

Melon

My maternal grandmother is a direct descendant of the Corner family, a number of whom were the Doges of Venice. An uncle of mine spent a year living in Venice compiling the family tree, which now dates back to the 12th century. The first Doge in the list was Marco Corner, who lived from 1284-1368. We are lucky in the sense that noble families kept records of births, deaths and marriages, and the family tree is therefore incredibly detailed, not just with those facts, but also things like titles and positions held within Venice.

I can see the Churchill-Bush connection. I can totally see that the person who said something this dumb...

"I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger, even though he may have lain there for a very long time ... I do not admit, for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race ... has come in and taken their place"

- Churchill to Palestine Royal Commission, 1937

...could easily be related to someone who said something this dumb:

"Do you have blacks, too?"

- George W. Bush to Brazilian president Cardoso, 2002

Last edited:
Yea what a terrible person Churchhill was :rolleyes: Small quotes taken out of context are not exactly an intelligent way to determine ones true feelings on complex issue's. Be happy that no one has a full text of everything you(or anyone) has said in your life to throw up in your face. In fact by your criteria you, me, and everyone may be related to Bush and Churchhill.

I was not attempting to understand their feelings on complex issues. I took two FAMOUS quotes and linked them together to show a genetic link... i.e., humor. Funny. Ha ha. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom