Clinton Wants to Change Constituion to allow 3rd Terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Clinton calls for third term

Clinton stopped short of saying he wanted to run for a third term
Former US President Bill Clinton has called for a change to the constitution's 22nd Amendment which prevents a person from being elected president more than twice.
"I think since people are living much longer... the 22nd Amendment should probably be modified to say two consecutive terms instead of two terms for a lifetime," he said.

Speaking at the John F Kennedy Library and Museum in Boston, the former president said such a change probably would not apply to him but would benefit future generations.

The amendment was passed after Franklin D Roosevelt was elected to a record fourth presidential term in office.

"There may come a time when we elect a president at age 45 or 50, and then 20 years later the country comes up against the same kind of problems the president faced before," said Mr Clinton.

"People would like to bring that man or woman back but they would have no way to do so."

Mr Clinton who left office in 2001, said he had "loved" his time as president but was also enjoying life outside the White House.

"I was surprised at how happy I was to have my life back," he said during a question-and-answer session.

He said he was writing his memoirs, which are due to be published in the autumn of 2004, although he said they may be on sale before then

I give up.....I screwed up the title of the thread. I am an embarrasment to good spelling. Migrane, sleep, kids....I do not know.

If it still limits the consecutive terms to two and would put some disclaimer of time between terms then in theory, yeah I could agree with that. But you cross dangerous lines without these restrictons.

Term limits were a GOP reaction to FDR's four elections.

There was serious talk of repealing it in the 80s by many in the GOP before Reagan's failing health was evident.

If the GOP is smart they will JUMP on this.
Everyone believes W is a shoein in 04.

After his eight years he can sit out a spell and then the GOP could try for 8 more years with W

Term limits always remind me of a quote from the West Wing (don't laugh!) which I kind of agree with. Barlet says something along the lines of "I get nervous around laws which assume Americans can't be trusted...we better have mandatory sentencing because judges can't be trusted to dispense even-handed justice...we better have term limits because voters can't be trusted to recognise corruption."

I do think it's a good point: surely if voters approve of a President's record, they should be able to elect him as many times as they see fit.

I think this is a mistake. We can theoretically fluctuate between two people indefinitely. Sorry...no thanks.

Melon

I don't see why we can't change. If we don't like someone we don't vote for them. If we do like them we should be able to vote for them, and elect them if enough of us agree.

joyfulgirl said:

Indeed. There is even a misspelled word in that sentence. :D

Sad part is, I am suffering from many of the side effects of the migranes now, but not the pain. I was trying to speak to my class today and my words were coming out slightly slurred. Not cool. The lack of pain is good.

Anyways, I am against ANY form of term limits. If that means Bill gets another shot so be it.

Sorry that your migraines are still haunting you Dread.

I also agree that there shouldn't be term limits. I liked that West Wing quote, FizzingWhizzbees.

Back
Top Bottom