Cindy Sheehan Arrested by Capitol Police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was apparently a T-shirt she was wearing, not a banner, according to AP.

Melon

The shirt say like 2,242 dead, how many more?

Honestly I don't get what is so wrong about wearing an anti war shirt, she was a guest and is entitled to her right to free speech.

deep said:
a middleage woman gets arrested for wearing a t-shirt

yep, freedom is on the march:huh:

Sheehan, who was invited to attend the speech by Rep. Lynn Woolsey (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., was charged with demonstrating in the Capitol building, said Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider. The charge was later changed to unlawful conduct, Schneider said. Both charges are misdemeanors.

Schneider said Sheehan had worn a T-shirt with an anti-war slogan to the speech and covered it up until she took her seat. Police warned her that such displays were not allowed, but she did not respond, the spokeswoman said.

A seemingly reasonable limitation, the absence of which would lead to perpetual disruptions during nation-wide speeches.

Damn...she blew it!!!!!

All she had to do was sit politely.....

And start shouting out in the middle of the speech....

Wow!:mad:

i have such mixed feelings on Ms. Sheehan.

i admire her chutzpah, i admire her being a pain in the ass of W, i admire how silly and stupid she made him look while camped out last summer, i admire her willingness to take her son's death and transform it into something that she sees as positive and worthwhile, i admire the moral authority she does have as a mother who has lost a child in battle, i admire her basic pretext -- the war is a big fucking mistake and people are dying for bad reasons -- and i admire her willingness to stick her neck out.

however, i wish the woman had more tact, and frankly, a more nuanced understanding of world events and the iraq war. her whole, "i'm a mother, so i'm speaking as a mother" gets old and increasingly transparent when you realize how unsophistocated her political stance is.

she also needs better handlers.

what would have been more effective would have been for her not to be a t-shirt, but for her to sit silently, not clapping, stone-faced, when ever Bush said anything, especially pertaining to Iraq. that would have been a much more trenchant image, and the media would have kept cutting to her, allowing her, through sielnce, to effectively undermine the president's steaming pile of verbal horseshit.

so sad she botched it up. again. and has made herself into a clown, an easy pinata for the right wing -- who obviously have no problems mocking the mother of a dead soldier.

I agree w/ everything you said, Irvine.

The "mother" thing annoys me after a while as well, especially since the soldiers/marines are grown men and women able to make their own life choices. For one, I find it almost disrespectful to those men and women. Enlisting was not my choice, but I respect those that chose that path and were willing to die for my freedoms. I'm sympathetic for Sheehan's loss, but sometimes it gets to the point where I feel like she's exploited her son's death. Would she feel this strongly against the war if her son had returned home safe? Probably not. For Sheehan, it's become too emotional and personal for her to tackfully and effectively make sense politically.

Irvine511 said:
her whole, "i'm a mother, so i'm speaking as a mother" gets old and increasingly transparent when you realize how unsophistocated her political stance is.

she also needs better handlers.

Doesn't this strike you as a contradiction (not your statement, but Sheehan's stance and position)?

The genuine aspects of her loss would appear to lose strength when there are those behind the scene "manufacturing" the image.

nbcrusader said:

Doesn't this strike you as a contradiction (not your statement, but Sheehan's stance and position)?

The genuine aspects of her loss would appear to lose strength when there are those behind the scene "manufacturing" the image.

i think that's what's getting at me.

i think all image is manufactured, and if she were much more media-savvy, she's try to maintain an image of being above the fray, of speaking from the heart, a sort of dignified symbol of senseless loss. you cannot get away from the manufacturing of an image, it's just how skillfully you do it. she'd be much more effective as a spokeswoman that way, instead of advocating specific policy positions.

i would also say, though, that her position is weakened by political pundits emphasizing those behind the scenes -- it's a great way to knock her down without being too mean about it, calling her a poor woman who's greiving and being manipualted by forces beyond her control and understanding.

Florida Rep.'s Wife Says She Was Ejected From State Of Union

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Indian Shores, told a newspaper that she was ejected during the State of the Union address for wearing a T-shirt that says, "Support the Troops Defending Our Freedom."

Beverly Young told the St. Petersburg Times that she was sitting in the front row of the House gallery Tuesday night when she was approached by someone who told her she needed to leave.

She said she reluctantly agreed, but argued with several officers in an outside hallway.

In a telephone interview with the newspaper, Young said she told them her shirt wasn't a protest but a message of support.

Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said Young wasn't ejected from the gallery and she left on her own. She couldn't provide additional details.

Young's husband found out about the incident after Bush's speech and called it unacceptable.

something smelled funny when I read this....

i smell a patsy

let's have someone in place to also arrest just so that we can justify arresting sheehan... who shouldn't have been invited into the chambers in the first place, but considering how many will ignore that fact and complain, we'll have this in place to go "ha! i told you so" and poo poo all of them.

so it's safe to assume that Ms. Sheehan is under surveillance and her phones have been wire-tapped? they knew what she was doing, right down to the t-shirt she was going to wear, and were able to effectively counter-program?

good.

:|

I am sure she has been making over seas phone calls to al-qaeda.

or

1. to Chavez

2. Chavez to Castro

3. Castro to Spanish Newspaper reporter

4. Spanish NP reporter to Al-Jazeera reporter

5. Al-Jazeera to BinLaden tape deliverer

6. BinLaden tape deliverer to Rove/CIA Productions.

Irvine511 said:
so it's safe to assume that Ms. Sheehan is under surveillance and her phones have been wire-tapped? they knew what she was doing, right down to the t-shirt she was going to wear, and were able to effectively counter-program?

good.

:|

Please.

The SOTU is so well scripted, the entire "drama" with Cindy Sheehan and Beverly Young was all scripted before the event.

nbcrusader said:

Please.

The SOTU is so well scripted, the entire "drama" with Cindy Sheehan and Beverly Young was all scripted before the event.

how did they know what lines Ms. Sheehan was going to be reading?

According to Sheehan's description of events (that I read earlier today), she was given a ticket, gave it to someone else, but then the person who gave her the ticket told her that the press had been alerted...so Cindy got the ticket back. She'd been at a protest earlier in the day and had the shirt on from that. when she entered the building, she was searched, etc., shown up to her seat, and was warm from the walk. she wasn't even completely out of her jacket when the guy who ushered her in said "Protestor," grabbed her and hauled her out, hurting her in the process. she said that she wasn't told to cover the shirt or anything, just taken out and arrested. The other woman was taken out but NOT arrested.

I am so tired of people saying "yeah, you have freedom of speech...but you have to be ready to face the consequences of what you say" but not respecting that the freedom of speech means that sometimes people are going to say things with which you don't agree and you HAVE to respect it because it's freedom of speech...not "you are free to say things, but only if I like them"! AArgh! I'm just annoyed at the whole thing. it makes me nuts.

Dreadsox said:
I do not believe she was there to protest. I actually believe what she wrote on her blog. It appears to be more than reasonable to me what she is saying in her own words.

If she had stood up and started shouting or held up a smuggled sign
it would have worked to the Presidents advantage.

If he had to stop for her to be taken out for making a disturbance
he would have gotten a lot of sympathy for the total disrespect of the event and the office.

She would have been roundly condemned and the Dem. congresswoman would be taking shots, too.

However, if she just sat there wearing the T-shirt
and the networks kept panning to her
instead of Laura Bush that would have been a loss for the President.

I am with those of you that believe the Republican Congressman's wife was plant
to justify removing Sheehan.

I would wonder if it was planned specific for Sheehan or was it something that may have just been in place period for anyone.

And I too believe it happened on purpose.

Dreadsox said:
I do not believe she was there to protest. I actually believe what she wrote on her blog. It appears to be more than reasonable to me what she is saying in her own words.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/mustread/index_594.html

Do you really think those are her own words. Irvine spoke of her needing better handlers. I'm sure people working with MichaelMoore.com would be happy to help.

nbcrusader said:

Do you really think those are her own words. Irvine spoke of her needing better handlers. I'm sure people working with MichaelMoore.com would be happy to help.

I have been reading posts "by her" for months on the web. I have even rattled off a response or two in an email to her.

Yes, I believe it to be her.

Back
Top Bottom