CIA chief George Tenet steps down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From the BBC.

CIA chief George Tenet steps down

CIA director George Tenet has tendered his resignation to the White House, citing "personal reasons".
President George W Bush told reporters he had accepted Mr Tenet's resignation as head of the US intelligence agency.

"I told him I'm sorry he's leaving. He's done a suberb job on behalf of the American people," Mr Bush said.

Mr Tenet will stay in the post until mid-July. After that, the deputy director will serve as acting director until a replacement is found.

:hmm:

Elvis said:

Yep indeedy. Who'll be the next to go?
Cheney, perhaps, because of "health reasons."
He's already making a bundle of cash in Iraq
with his Halliburton ties to "rebuilding Iraq."
Colin Powell? Condy Rice?
Anyways, hopefully this whole crew will be out by Nov. :)

Last edited:
Chalabi and Tenant are just scapegoats for the Bush Administration.

Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolverwits are the gutless and worthless sacks that should be thrown out.

verte76 said:
It will be interesting to see if there are any more resignations.

Be careful what you wish for... :|
Also from the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3775423.stm

Second top official to quit CIA

A second top CIA official is to retire from his post, less than a day after the surprise resignation of the agency's director George Tenet.

James Pavitt, deputy director for operations, who was in charge of the agency's spies, is said to have made the decision some weeks ago.

The CIA says Mr Pavitt's decision was unconnected with Mr Tenet's departure.

But analysts say the move will mean more upheaval at a critical time for the agency.

James Pavitt has worked for the agency for 31 years, five as the deputy director of operations.

His identity had been unknown until last April when, in an unprecedented move, he appeared publicly before the 11 September commission.

Bush would praise a convicted murderer, if he happened to be one of his cabinet members. The man isn't willing to accept blame, his own, or that of anyone who relects on him.

najeena said:
Bush would praise a convicted murderer, if he happened to be one of his cabinet members. The man isn't willing to accept blame, his own, or that of anyone who relects on him.

But, "God" is telling him what to do. He's a very good "Christian."
Surely, "God" wouldn't feed Bush wrong information. Maybe,
it's not God he hears.
Maybe Bush hears other voices in his head too telling him
what to do?
It makes me proud to know there's an ex-alcoholic, ex- druggie
schizophrenic president in the White House.
I'm waiting for Bush to totally lose it in one of his many
infrequent press coferences. You know........talking in
tongues.......rolling on the floor.......foam coming out of
his mouth.

Last edited:
Intelligence Wars

I think the real reason Tenet resigned is so that Bush can not invoke Executive Privilege against his testimony in the upcoming indictments against Bush and Cheney in the Valerie Plame case. Between Abu Ghraib, Chalabi, Plame, and *possibly* even 9/11, Bush & Co. are likely to be ousted by a CIA enabled coup d'etat bigger than even what Watergate ever was. Expect Colin Powell to resign soon as well. There is a growing, but longstanding rift between the Bush administration and within the intelligence communities, various alaphabet agencies, growing members of the House and Senate, and even within the military. There are rumors that Tenet was forced out, or is a fall-guy. I think that may be Bush administration spin.

My 2cents

There's no doubt that intelligence people are pissed, and they don't want to be someone's "scapegoat". In the Oval Office there is a sign that says "the buck stops here". It's inexcusable for anyone to say something like this without any firm basis in fact, and the intelligence community is steaming over having to take the "blame". Blame games don't care who you are. If you play them you pay.

Ah yes, Michael Moore, another source of objective, unbiased, information.:wink:

Sting2,

In the world of politics, please.... show me an unbiased 'source' of information.

This administration has made enough blunders to make themselves look like idiots... I'm going to wager that Moore didn't have to try very hard to do it himself.

To say everyone has a bias does not put all sources of information on the same level of credibility. Moore is an entertainer and has shown a willingness to bend facts to entertain his market.

I am not particularly going to look to Michael Moore for "unbiased" news on the subject. If there is indeed any more damning news to come out it can come from preferably more than one reliable news source. This means people who have no direct ties to either Bush's or Kerry's campaign or list of supporters. Forget Crossfire. They *tell* you they're biased.

nbcrusader said:
To say everyone has a bias does not put all sources of information on the same level of credibility. Moore is an entertainer and has shown a willingness to bend facts to entertain his market.

exactly... take me serious when i'm right, but when i'm wrong, i'm merely an entertainer. i'll see the movie when it comes out, but i'll download it off kaaza or bit torrent... no way i'm giving one cent to that blubbering a-hole.

Re: Intelligence Wars

elfyx said:
I think the real reason Tenet resigned is so that Bush can not invoke Executive Privilege against his testimony in the upcoming indictments against Bush and Cheney in the Valerie Plame case. Between Abu Ghraib, Chalabi, Plame, and *possibly* even 9/11, Bush & Co. are likely to be ousted by a CIA enabled coup d'etat bigger than even what Watergate ever was. Expect Colin Powell to resign soon as well. There is a growing, but longstanding rift between the Bush administration and within the intelligence communities, various alaphabet agencies, growing members of the House and Senate, and even within the military. There are rumors that Tenet was forced out, or is a fall-guy. I think that may be Bush administration spin.

My 2cents

That's the skinny I'm hearing also. One can only pray. I'd like to see him tried as a war criminal while they are at it.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Intelligence Wars

Scarletwine said:

That's the skinny I'm hearing also. One can only pray. I'd like to see him tried as a war criminal while they are at it.

:up:

This is another view as to why Tenet is gone.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4636.shtml

Bush's Erratic Behavior Worries White House Aides
By DOUG THOMPSON
Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
Jun 4, 2004, 06:15

President George W. Bush?s increasingly erratic behavior and wide mood swings has the halls of the West Wing buzzing lately as aides privately express growing concern over their leader?s state of mind.
In meetings with top aides and administration officials, the President goes from quoting the Bible in one breath to obscene tantrums against the media, Democrats and others that he classifies as ?enemies of the state.?

It reminds me of the Nixon days,? says a longtime GOP political consultant with contacts in the White House. ?Everybody is an enemy; everybody is out to get him. That?s the mood over there.?

In interviews with a number of White House staffers who were willing to talk off the record, a picture of an administration under siege has emerged, led by a man who declares his decisions to be ?God?s will? and then tells aides to ?fuck over? anyone they consider to be an opponent of the administration.

The President's abrupt dismissal of CIA Directory George Tenet Wednesday night is, aides say, an example of how he works.

"Tenet wanted to quit last year but the President got his back up and wouldn't hear of it," says an aide. "That would have been the opportune time to make a change, not in the middle of an election campaign but when the director challenged the President during the meeting Wednesday, the President cut him off by saying 'that's it George. I cannot abide disloyalty. I want your resignation and I want it now."

WOW

I read that earlier this week. Pretty incredible (though not surprising--Bush has always had a crazy look in his eye, imo). Do you know anything about how reliable that site is?

Last edited:
Elvis said:
Sting2,

In the world of politics, please.... show me an unbiased 'source' of information.

This administration has made enough blunders to make themselves look like idiots... I'm going to wager that Moore didn't have to try very hard to do it himself.

I don't consider the removal of the Taliban and Saddam's regime from power in Afghanistan and Iraq respectively to be blunders. Nor do I consider bringing an economy out of recession with currently a 5% growth rate and one of the lowest unemployment rates of the past 30 years to be a blunder either. It will be interesting to see what if anything about these facts, Moore brings up in his little movie.

Scarletwine said:
This is another view as to why Tenet is gone.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4636.shtml

Bush's Erratic Behavior Worries White House Aides
By DOUG THOMPSON
Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
Jun 4, 2004, 06:15

President George W. Bush?s increasingly erratic behavior and wide mood swings has the halls of the West Wing buzzing lately as aides privately express growing concern over their leader?s state of mind.
In meetings with top aides and administration officials, the President goes from quoting the Bible in one breath to obscene tantrums against the media, Democrats and others that he classifies as ?enemies of the state.?

It reminds me of the Nixon days,? says a longtime GOP political consultant with contacts in the White House. ?Everybody is an enemy; everybody is out to get him. That?s the mood over there.?

In interviews with a number of White House staffers who were willing to talk off the record, a picture of an administration under siege has emerged, led by a man who declares his decisions to be ?God?s will? and then tells aides to ?fuck over? anyone they consider to be an opponent of the administration.

The President's abrupt dismissal of CIA Directory George Tenet Wednesday night is, aides say, an example of how he works.

"Tenet wanted to quit last year but the President got his back up and wouldn't hear of it," says an aide. "That would have been the opportune time to make a change, not in the middle of an election campaign but when the director challenged the President during the meeting Wednesday, the President cut him off by saying 'that's it George. I cannot abide disloyalty. I want your resignation and I want it now."

WOW

This doesn't surprise me one bit, addicts shouldn't run for president, it's too stressful of a job for someone with that personality.

STING2 said:

I don't consider the removal of the Taliban and Saddam's regime from power in Afghanistan and Iraq respectively to be blunders. Nor do I consider bringing an economy out of recession with currently a 5% growth rate and one of the lowest unemployment rates of the past 30 years to be a blunder either. It will be interesting to see what if anything about these facts, Moore brings up in his little movie.

out of recession? lowest unemployment rates?

You've got some published numbers to back this up?

And as far as the Taliban and Saddam... great, but those two things are part of a much larger picture which so far seems ill conceived and w/o an end... given that... I've got a good feeling that's what Moore will be presenting.

Clinton had done a lot of good, yet the republicans only seemed to focus on his sex life. Every story has two sides (atleast).

Elvis said:

out of recession? lowest unemployment rates?

You've got some published numbers to back this up?

And as far as the Taliban and Saddam... great, but those two things are part of a much larger picture which so far seems ill conceived and w/o an end... given that... I've got a good feeling that's what Moore will be presenting.

Clinton had done a lot of good, yet the republicans only seemed to focus on his sex life. Every story has two sides (atleast).

I think what gets Moore in trouble is that he edits stuff,
inserts stuff to make the other side look as unfavorable
as possible. Great film making. but is it a truthful documentary?
:)
Clinton was a low life, when it came to personal life on the job.
How many other president's have fooled around on the side, and
not gotten caught?
Clinton left the office with the nation in great shape.
It took Bush a only a few months to totally mess up
the nation.

Back
Top Bottom