Christmas In New Orleans, Somber But Hopeful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Obviously it will be an extremely difficult Christmas for these people, and especially for those who lost loved ones in any of the hurricanes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/2005122...MFzyZiOe8UF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

"She says when organizers were considering a scaled-down Christmas celebration, they had no idea what the response would be. But when they opened the doors on Dec. 9, 5,000 people showed up, and it's been packed every night since, says Ms. Hammett.

"The city is starved for some normalcy, and seeing something like this going on gives them hope," she says.

capt.lajl10112202054.katrina_new_orleans_christmas_lajl101.jpg

capt.lagh10112221847.katrina_christmas_lagh101.jpg

Indeed, says Ms. Simone as she and her sister reach the giant snowman and let out a laugh, doing things they do every year is important to the healing process. But no matter how normal things seem to be, this Christmas is different.

"It's a purer spirit this year, less commercial," says Simone. "It's more about comfort and joy."

In fact, some say they aren't giving gifts at all this year, in part because they have been shopping for replacement refrigerators, hair dryers, and waffle irons since the storm hit. But it's also because the loss of their possessions produced a different outlook on life.

"People seem to be taking more stock in themselves than gathering possessions this Christmas," says Rusty Roussel, whose home on the west bank had minor damage. "

I just did two stories yesterday on how local people are still helping Katrina victims in big ways. From what my sources told me, it still sucks there in New Orleans. In some places, it looks like nothing has changed since the hurricane.

I guess we can see that Christmas is not about big trees, roaring fires, frothy eggnog, bright lights, colorful packages, etc. Perhaps we should look at what could be stripped away in our own lives to reveal the matters from our hearts?

He stared down at Who-ville! The Grinch popped his eyes!
Then he shook! What he saw was a shocking surprise!

Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming! IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?"
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
Maybe Christmas...perhaps... means a little bit more!"

coemgen said:
I just did two stories yesterday on how local people are still helping Katrina victims in big ways. From what my sources told me, it still sucks there in New Orleans. In some places, it looks like nothing has changed since the hurricane.
Black Nieghboorhoods ?

I heard ( and did see on tv ) very disturbing things about black people not allowed to come back. As a priest ( white ) told on tv, some people want to use this
as a kind of etnic cleasing because of the problems they had in those nieghboorhoods with crime before Katrina.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I would imagine it does still suck, when I start feeling sorry for myself I think of the people there and feel so ashamed of myself.

:hug:

nathan1977 said:
Friends from my church were there a month ago and said there weren't enough hands.

I'm thinking about a trip there next summer... just to give a hand!

I have been wondering if Habitat for Humanity is planning some big projects where they would be looking for volunteers to help re build neighborhoods in that area. If anyone is interested, check with them. It's a great cause, they do good work and corporations, groups of people and organizations can sponsor projects to rebuild for specific families or areas.

There is something so damn persistent about New Orleans. What a personal and tremendous celebration of the human spirit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom