Christians turned agnostic/atheist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edgeboy said:
Well I don't mean just today's christians but i mean just the whole idea of christianity. I mean first, Why can god only have one son and why is it necessary for him to die on a cross? As if god will only have his power
if jesus dies on a cross. That's just an ancient belief in
animal and human sacrifice.

Christ's death on the cross had nothing to do with giving God's power. In fact, it was simply an incredible display of his power, wisdom and love. The Bible tells us 'the wages of sin is death."
Because of his love for us, Christ, who was both fully God and fully man, lived the perfect life that none of us can live and died in our place for the sins we've committed. Sins can be seen as crimes against God. Christ became the spotless lamb. He then was raised from the dead. All of this came together in the form of God keeping in line with free will as he lightened our burden and took it upon his own shoulders, so to speak. If we believe that he did this for us and strive to live like Christ, then his righteousness is credited to us before God the father and our sins are forgotten.

This is what we know as "Amazing Grace."

anitram said:
Actually, coemgen, I do think of myself as Christian. It's Christianity as a current-day organized religion that I take an issue with. A bit like Gandhi said, "I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians; they are nothing like your Christ."

That rings very true to me.

I agree. Thanks for clearing that up. I actually heard one time that Ghandhi sought to become a Christian, but he was snubbed by some Chrisitians or whatever. This is a tragedy on so many levels. :(

coemgen said:

I agree. Thanks for clearing that up. I actually heard one time that Ghandhi sought to become a Christian, but he was snubbed by some Chrisitians or whatever. This is a tragedy on so many levels. :(

I've never come across that story in any of the biographies on Gandhiji that I've read - but he did have profound respect for the Christian ideal. I think that his view could be summarised as all-encompassing humanism starting with and from Hinduism but certainly not stopping there.

Back
Top Bottom