Changing views on Al-Jazeera from the US government

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
the first article deals is taken from the US Department of State's International Information Program. It was posted there August 27th 2001.
http://www.usinfo.state.gov/topical/global/ecom/01082701.htm
the article in general praises Al-Jazeera as being a journalistic pioneer in the region:

"As a news organization, Al-Jazeera is very impressive" with its bureaus located all over the world, said Alterman. "They pride themselves, like MBC before them, on reporting Arab news from the Arab world better than other international stations," he said.

The second article comes from the Committee to Protect Journalists. It was posted there on October 4th, 2001.
This article indicates quite a contrast in the opinion of the government:
"The U.S. government apparently feels that Al-Jazeera's programming has been unbalanced and anti-American, particularly in the aftermath of the September 11 terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C."

I find these two articles disturbing in how quickly the US government flipped their stance in deciding that Al-Jazeera was a detrimental force in the region.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by kobayashi:
the first article...was posted there August 27th 2001.

The second article...was posted there on October 4th, 2001.

"...particularly in the aftermath of the September 11 terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C."

I find these two articles disturbing in how quickly the US government flipped their stance in deciding that Al-Jazeera was a detrimental force in the region.

The range of dates and the events that happened therein are crucial to either side of this argument.

The U.S loved Al-Jazeera because they provided a source of news to the Arab world that was unhampered by political influance.

After September 11th, Al-Jazeera refused to stop airing Osama Bin Laden's statements and the U.S went apeshit. Al-Jazeera responded by asking them "what about free speech? I thought you guys were all about free speech?"

No, it was more because Al Jazeera kept showing limited excerpts from their interview with Condoleza Rice (U.S. National Security Advisor) in a manner that basically took her total message out of context.

The bin Laden deal was more of a request, as it was with the U.S. media.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom