Change in the News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank You, MrsSpringsteen!! I haven't seen these articles.

I've respected him just for his reporting value from the beginning, which I rarely do.
I've watched his reports all along even before hurricane(s) Katrina and Rita.

He is credible in my minds eye. :up:
Untill I have reason to believe otherwise.

Yeah I know, I'm jaded..

FEAR....I love it.......:dancing: ..it gives wizards something to get excited about because it means the dragon is getting closer........

:|

Seriously, fear is in the eye of the beholder.......the news {whether it be web, hardcopy, radio, or cable/TV} presents the subject.....after that one has the option to do whatever they want with it......turn it off, ignore it, observe, or investigate it further, etc. The choice is yours.....but at least you have a choice {it's called freedom}.

And no, we need not get on the subject as to what gets presented and what doesn't. Tell it to the publisher if you don't like the format....or write a letter to the editor of the newspaper.

There are libraries upon libraries of books....on-line and physical.........with limitless subjects and endless opinions.

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
FEAR....I love it.......:dancing: ..it gives wizards something to get excited about because it means the dragon is getting closer........

Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon :D

Re: Re: reply

A_Wanderer said:
Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon :D

Good.....another dragon hunter.....

A good tip from "Dragon Hunter's Handbook:

Chapter Five: What to do if things go badly:

point 5......Make a lot of noise. Get local Dragon Hunters to start banging on trash cans, shouting, anything they can do to make a lot of noise.
The dragon will likely want to get away from the loud noises and will leave."

:dancing:

how I know he and I were meant for each other :wink:

Never trust a guy with pretty nails.

My mom told me that, and while most of her advice isn't exactly practical -- I'm still trying to figure out what "Say yes to purple" means -- she's right about the nail thing: Guys shouldn't have well-trimmed, satin-polished fingertips with cutely cut cuticles. It sends the wrong message.

I know this isn't a particularly popular platform right now. But why must we pursue perfection? What's so wrong with just being real?

I'm not saying you should start biting your nails, but if you already do, why stop?

Nail biting isn't sexy or stylish, but it is at least genuine -- an increasingly hard-to-find hint of humanity.

Doctors will tell you that nibbling nails is a sign of anxiety and insecurity, a nasty habit that can lead to infection.

I'm sure they're right. There are certainly plenty of less painful ways to deal with stress, but really, how many times a day can you masturbate?

I've been a biter since I was 8. Which is when most kids start. Sixty percent of 8-to-11-year-olds bite their nails and continue through adolescence.

I am one of the rarer child biters who kept picking and ripping right into adulthood.

I suppose if you've never bitten your nails, there isn't any way to explain the habit. It's not enjoyable, really, but there is a certain satisfaction -- pride in a job well done.

See, each nail breaks in a distinctive way; with time you begin to notice the pattern. It becomes something of a pleasurably familiar routine.

I'm a groomer. In the hierarchy of biters, I like to think we're near the top. I focus most on trimming.

I used to be more unrestrained, occasionally unable to resist ripping off layers of skin, but age and experience have mellowed me.

I try not to gnaw below the new grazing level, but other biters go for a deeper rip or focus on peeling the nail's thin surface.

Of course, some go way too far and give the rest of us a bad name.

There's a point below which a nail should not be bitten; as any torturer will tell you, having your nail removed is not only painful, it makes picking things up difficult.

Every minority likes to have someone to look down on.

Smokers mock tobacco chewers, who deride nose pickers, who shun fingernail biters, who absolutely abhor toenail chewers, the real bottom-feeders.

Clay Aiken admits he used to bite his toenails. If the image of young Clay in a red leather jacket salivating on his big toe doesn't make you ill, I have nothing left to say to you.

There are of course plenty of remedies and products that promise an end to nail-biting. Hypnosis, behavior modification, even foul-smelling lotions that make your nails taste bad.

I tried one lotion when I was a kid. It was really bitter, but after the first couple of licks I stopped noticing.

These days I try not to bite my nails in front of others. I'm not ashamed, but it's like videotaping yourself having sex: not something other people should really have to watch.

So if my office door is closed and work is getting hectic, chances are you'll find me momentarily focusing on a finger.

In the news business, TV anchors like to appear at all times polished and poised. Me? I'm content just being real.

Six slivers of nail were lost in the writing of this article.

"Never trust a guy with pretty nails."

Perhaps I just don't get it but what does this item have to do with news reporting?

:huh:

Re: Re: reply

MrsSpringsteen said:

nothing, I just like it..sorry

I've read some of Anderson's Details and they are, in fact, rather good.....why doesn't he just write a book about some of these thoughts........maybe CNN would not let him or something....I don't know.......I'm sure such a book would sell very well.

Anderson is writing a book, I read a blurb about it somewhere online..I'll have to look that up

If he does booksignings, I am there. I just hope the security doesn't cart me away or something :D seriously, I would be a nervous wreck and could barely say "hello" to him :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Anderson is writing a book, I read a blurb about it somewhere online..I'll have to look that up

Aha....just as I suspected........:eyebrow:

Wizards are fearless.......including book signings........though wizards don't stand in lines.....so he'll just have to send me my autographed copy......:)

I hope he doesn't mind but I make notes in the margins as I read......:eyebrow:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=1222866&page=1

Oct. 17, 2005 — Martin Bashir, Cynthia McFadden, and Terry Moran have been named co-anchors of "Nightline," ABC News President David Westin announced today.

The three will assume anchor duties Monday, Nov. 28, with Moran in Washington and McFadden and Bashir in New York. McFadden will continue to anchor and report for ABC News "Primetime," where she has had a role since 1996, and Bashir, who joined ABC in 2004, will continue to report for the news magazine "20/20."

Here we go with the fear factor again..........another Hurricane. Oh well, living in Florida you take them in stride.....just stay hunkered down.

If Governor Bush says to evacuate......then will follow plans..........

But it's like the cable news media want to dwell on it.....besides we have our local weather people with quite accurate forecasts and hurricane tracking.

I'm just so TIRED of this FEAR factor already........:mad:

I am so tired of it too, if the hurricanes don't get you the bird flu will

I guess we should all build bunkers and just count down the days..

Btw Anderson was adorable on Letterman :wink: he told the story about his mother writing her memoirs and talking about her sex life -that was one of his Details columns

U2democrat said:
I wonder how long it'll be before Anderson is in Florida.

Don't worry....he's already in Naples along with a team of 40-50 CNN red-clad hurricane followers including Miles O'Brien the science member.....Dr.Gupta is probably still in Asia tracking down the vulture-virus there so I don't think you'll be seeing him.

Seems there will be more reporters in South Florida than residents....and just think...it's expected to land Monday when the rest of Florida and the country will be at work and miss most of the live wind-in-your-hair down-home report.

For those who may have any interest in the article....log on to SPTimes.com for a full blown photo of Anderson and the article. Sorry...I'm using my printed copy to tuck under my front door just in case any water should try to seep thru.
:madspit:

Why oh why......???
This is a repeat of a repeat of a previous repeat.......

Anderson Cooper out in the hurricane wind and rain again......

I wonder if CNN sells those red jackets to the general public.......not that I want to buy one........but I was just questioning why I subject myself?

Do I really need to watch people stand outside in it all?

:eyebrow:

Last edited:
I've watched some of the Hurricane Wilma coverage because I'm concerned about the people who will be affected, but I can get this same information on the Internet, complete with videos for visuals, so I find myself wondering why in the hell I'm watching it. Mainly because there's a TV in my workroom and I've been obsessively working on a painting.

Okay now :eyebrow:
Situation Room on at 10am and 7pm in addition to whatever time???.........now what happened to Anderson and 360..........

and Geraldo starts his new program at 7pm on regular FOX...

anyone in the loop can fill me in here?

I know....it must be the hurricanes that did it.......so I imagine Aaron Brown and Anderson Cooper are co-anchoring the 10pm slot...or am I wrong here too?

This is getting too confusing..........{ugh....}

:banghead:

Okay.....now that we lost Anderson......Aaron Brown is now missing................it's getting to be like "guess who is anchoring tonight?"

:eyebrow:

this is on Drudge

AARON BROWN OUT AT CNN
Wed Nov 02 2005

To: All CNN Staff

We have made some programming decisions which will impact our prime time schedule as well as our colleague Aaron Brown. Aaron will be leaving CNN and is very much looking forward to some well-deserved time off with his family.

Aaron has made enormous contributions to CNN since his groundbreaking anchoring of Sept. 11th through the war in Iraq to the Tsunami to the recent hurricanes. Outside of the big stories, on a nightly basis, Aaron has provided our audiences with insight into the events of the United States and the world with eloquence and the highest journalist integrity.

Besides his stellar work as an anchor, Aaron stands as an absolutely brilliant writer, evident by the thoughtful perspective he injects into every story he touches.

Personally, I will miss Aaron and his wicked sense of humor. We cannot thank Aaron enough for the skills and professionalism he brought to CNN. Given his respect throughout the industry, there is no question that he will be missed.

I can say one thing, since this new head took over, I have a total lack of respect for CNN and their reporting...and their talking heads. I now switch back and forth from FOX or MSNBC. I still like their internet site but even there you don't catch all the news you read elsewhere. That's why I always read the old hardcopy...the newspaper.

At least one can stand behind Brian Williams......and now if you miss the report for the day you can view it later that evening on the internet.

Yeah I hate the new guy at CNN. He just sucks.

:drool: I love Brian Williams. He's a really good anchor...and he provided good entertainment for Virginians when he was covering hurricane Isabel at Virginia Beach and he got blown over. It was frickin hilarious :lol:

Just read in the hardcopy {local newspaper} that Brown is gone and Anderson's 360 will air 10pm for 2 hours. Seems Brown was getting too sluggish???

Situation Room with Wolf will be on at 7pm.

That is as of this morning's edition.....but at CNN..who knows anything anyway.

Paul Zahn pretty lucky....that's why she never leaves the studio. But I don't know....Larry King is getting older by the day.....perhaps someone will be replacing him too.

I know I would not want to be a cable news person.

BTW.....our Florida highways are jammed at 5am when most of us leave for work......so who is going to stay up until midnight to watch the news of the day that has been said so many times already....

:huh: :yawn:

Now.....this is what veteran news anchors are about. And a story well deserved news coverage...and what it takes to get the job done. I know it's a question I've been asking lately.....yet you see so little coverage of the war in Iraq. Check it out......thanks Bob Hite for the dedication to the community...........

http://www.tbo.com/life/includes/MGBSMG0IOFE.html

carol
wizard2c

I'm not at all surprised that CNN dropped Aaron Brown. You could see the handwriting on the wall when they started experimenting with having Anderson Cooper co-host with Brown. They wanted to see if the ratings went up with Cooper there, and apparently that did happen. It's a good decision. Brown is a respected, intelligent journalist, but watching him was as entertaining as watching paint dry. The 10 - 12 timeslot needs somebody with more energy and flash, but who can also bring the substance when they have to, and that pretty much describes Anderson Cooper.

I like most of the new schedule. I like the 'Wolf Blitzer - Lou Dobbs - Blitzer again' serious news block. I like Cooper from 10 - 12 and, even though I don't really care for her, I think Paula Zahn's brand of up-close-and-personal news works well at 8.

But, when, oh, when, is some head of CNN going to have the guts to tell Larry King to get lost? All the flow of their evening schedule is brought to a screeching halt by King and his insipid 'interviews'. The man can't even follow along with what his guests are saying. He waits for them to stop speaking and reads the questions off his cue cards in the order given to him, no matter what the guest just said. I still remember one particular incident of this a few years ago. King had several news correspondents on and one of them was Christiane Amanpour via satellite. He asked her a question and she answered but then, as she tends to do, she went on to elaborate and add a couple of more thoughts. Well, one of the things she added happened to be related to what was supposed to be King's next question. King, of course, was not really paying attention, completely missed this, and went ahead and asked the next question on his card. Amanpour gave the most withering glare imaginable. Then said, "Well, Larry. As. I. JUST. Said..." and she went on to repeat exactly what she already said. On the multi-screen shot you could see the other corresopondents were doing all they could not to burst out laughing. Among real news people, King is nothing more than a joke.

If they must keep King, I think CNN's lineup would be much better if they put Cooper on at 9 and then put King on at 11. They could have King tape his shows and edit out all his blunders. They could have him stick to celebrity interviews, which is what he prefers doing anyway, and keep him far, far away from serious news.

As for the opinion shows, I don't miss them at all. I prefer watching the news, not someone else's opinion of the news.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom