Censoring September 11th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Unbelievably ridiculous. The FCC should be ashamed of itself, what a dishonor to that day and to what happened. Ditto for the "American Family Association". Responsibility to the public? Is the public a bunch of morons? Is anyone in this world in any way offended by the language that firefighters or anyone else used that day? Gee, I think somehow the events of that day warranted it, and completely overshadowed it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060903/ap_en_tv/cbs9_11_film&printer=1

Broadcasters say the hesitancy of some CBS affiliates to air a powerful Sept. 11 documentary next week proves there's been a chilling effect on the First Amendment since federal regulators boosted penalties for television obscenities after Janet Jackson's breast was exposed at a Super Bowl halftime show.

"This is example No. 1," said Martin Franks, executive vice president of CBS Corp., of the decision by two dozen CBS affiliates to replace or delay "9/11" — which has already aired twice without controversy — over concerns about some of the language used by the firefighters in it.

"We don't think it's appropriate to sanitize the reality of the hell of Sept. 11th," Franks said. "It shows the incredible stress that these heroes were under. To sanitize it in some way robs it of the horror they faced."..

..Congress recently boosted the maximum fines the FCC can impose for indecency from $32,500 to $325,000.

So far, about a dozen CBS affiliates have indicated they won't show the documentary, another dozen say they will delay it until later at night and two dozen others are considering what to do.

On Friday, Sinclair Broadcasting became the latest company to say it was delaying the broadcast until after 10 p.m. on its stations in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Portland, Maine, saying it was concerned it could face fines.

The announcement came as the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association readied its 3 million members to flood the FCC and CBS with complaints after the documentary airs.

"This isn't an issue of censorship. It's an issue of responsibility to the public," said Randy Sharp, director of special projects for the group, which describes itself as a 29-year-old organization that promotes the biblical ethic of decency."

Jackasses. Out of all the things I watched about 9/11, that was the most powerful. Maybe we can show it in animation with cute, little family friendly animal characters.....where nobody dies, there are no sounds that might offend innocent ears, and where the towers magically reconstruct themselves in the end.

The obscenity of the day was not the language.

BonosSaint said:
Jackasses. Out of all the things I watched about 9/11, that was the most powerful. Maybe we can show it in animation with cute, little family friendly animal characters.....where nobody dies, there are no sounds that might offend innocent ears, and where the towers magically reconstruct themselves in the end.

The obscenity of the day was not the language.

This reminds me of us singing Humpty Dumpty with my elder daughter. She gets too upset at Humpty breaking, so we ammended the last line to be "all the king's horses and all the king's men quickly put Humpty together again".
Difference is, she is 3.

This really makes me mad. In a country of free speech no less, and a TRUE story of something horrific that happened on US soil. Let the truth and story be told as exactly as it happened.

:mad:

Yes, we must protect the viewing public's delicate ears from the word "shit" while they watch the footage of the plane crashing into the tower.

:rolleyes:

Janet Jackson's urge to expose her mammary ('who WOULDN'T want to see my breast?' ) cost this country big time. But it points to a greater problem. I'd never have believed when I was younger that America would find itself moving toward intolerance and censorship. Our leaders talk about freedom and democracy and the perils of theology, all the while whittling away at our own constitutionally guaranteed freedoms and promoting a certain faith. We must change back into the country the world admired, we MUST.

najeena said:
Our leaders talk about freedom and democracy and the perils of theology, all the while whittling away at our own constitutionally guaranteed freedoms

What version of the constitution are you speaking of, that provides TV producers the right to put swear words on network TV?

MrsSpringsteen said:
The announcement came as the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association readied its 3 million members to flood the FCC and CBS with complaints after the documentary airs.

"This isn't an issue of censorship. It's an issue of responsibility to the public," said Randy Sharp, director of special projects for the group, which describes itself as a 29-year-old organization that promotes the biblical ethic of decency."

Every organization with the word "Family" in its name might as well replace it with the word "Fascist," because that's what they're really about. It has nothing to do with "protecting children."

But I love how 3 million people can hold a country of 300 million hostage. If I were the FCC, I'd toss aside complaints from "family" organizations, because they're not going to be happy until there's nothing but televangelism 24/7 on our airwaves.

Melon

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:
What version of the constitution are you speaking of, that provides TV producers the right to put swear words on network TV?
Have you seen the documentary, 80s? It's been aired on CBS before.

Live footage of a plane slamming into the North Tower...the sound of bodies hitting the ground...burning buildings with thousands of people in them collapsing...one of the filmmakers just barely escaped with his life, he was in the North Tower lobby where he'd followed firefighters in when the South Tower fell...and you're worried about swear words? It isn't a movie. They weren't reading from a script.

As a parent I'm plenty capable of deciding for myself whether my children might be mature enough to handle this documentary. And the profanity would be about the last thing I'd have concerns over in making that decision.

Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

melon said:

If I were the FCC, I'd toss aside complaints from "family" organizations, because they're not going to be happy until there's nothing but televangelism 24/7 on our airwaves.

Melon

Unfortunately this seems to be true.

We've become a nation of pussies, and we have no one but ourselves to blame. We've all allowed this to happen, by either supporting these people and their influence on our government, or sitting idly by, thinking our one vote can't change anything. We are truly getting the government we deserve.

I've seen this one before and plan on watching it again.

My mom and I were discussing the whole FCC fine thing last night and I said "isn't that what the new TV content rating are for?" You know, those little boxes that rate the shows, like movies? Are people to stupid to discern for themselves and their children what is appropriate? I'll make a donation to CBS to help pay the fine (not that it would matter, I'm sure the advertising slots will cover it!).

If you can't handle a few swear words while your OWN COUNTRY IS UNDER CIVILLIAN ATTACK, then DONT WATCH THE SHOW!!!!

aaaaaaah :banghead:

Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

melon said:

Every organization with the word "Family" in its name might as well replace it with the word "Fascist," because that's what they're really about. It has nothing to do with "protecting children."
Melon

Fascists.
Oh good grief. When the American Family Association starts forcing people to convert to their ideology at gunpoint then I'll take you seriously. In the meantime, I'll reserve the word "fascist" for those that, you know, thru violence and intimidation seek to spread their form of totalitarian control of politics and society throughout the world. You know, the folks that actually planned, executed and then celebrated 9/11.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
My mom and I were discussing the whole FCC fine thing last night and I said "isn't that what the new TV content rating are for?" You know, those little boxes that rate the shows, like movies? Are people to stupid to discern for themselves and their children what is appropriate?

You know what's funny? It was these "family" organizations that pushed heavily for TV ratings. When that wasn't good enough, they insisted on the V-Chip in all televisions. When that wasn't good enough, they wanted detailed ratings (like "DSV" underneath the "TV-14").

Now we have detailed TV ratings and V-Chips that allow parents to block shows based on those ratings....

...and that's still not good enough to these organizations.

Like I said, they're not going to be happy until they destroy television and change it into 24 hour televangelism. We can't get enough "700 Club," guys.

Melon

It is an incredible documentary and it is shameful that they censor the medium as a result of threats by special interest groups.

Can someone fix your country? We are fortunate in Canada that we get a disclaimer at most during newsbroadcasts. Our networks and newspapers and newsmagazines don't clean up anything. If they guy said f**k in the interview or quote, we see it as it is. If there are images of people in a chaotic situation and there is swearing, we hear it. You can't and shouldn't sanitize reality.

Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

INDY500 said:
Fascists.
Oh good grief. When the American Family Association starts forcing people to convert to their ideology at gunpoint then I'll take you seriously. In the meantime, I'll reserve the word "fascist" for those that, you know, thru violence and intimidation seek to spread their form of totalitarian control of politics and society throughout the world. You know, the folks that actually planned, executed and then celebrated 9/11.

It was tongue-and-cheek, although I don't take kindly to organizations that get their jollies by pushing for media censorship and slandering homosexuals, equating them with pedophiles every chance they get.

They don't need guns to wreak real damage on Americans; so, as far as I'm concerned, whatever you'd like to call them, I consider them to be as evil and damaging as any fascist entity.

I can't think of any kind of organization in America I despise more than these so-called "family" organizations. They certainly don't represent my family.

"Focus on your own damn family."

Melon

This is what's on their site regarding the 9/11 documentary

http://www.afa.net/Petitions/IssueDetail.asp?id=209

I have no problem with parents being concerned with what their kids watch and see on TV, they certainly should be. But I do have a problem with people trying to determine what adults should watch and see. I make the responsible decisions about what I want to watch, and I do have issues with some of what is on TV. And I have a huge problem with making profanity in a 9/11 documentary any sort of an issue whatsoever. What should we do, change their words to "golly geekers, people are being burned alive, people are jumping to their deaths. Good gosh, shucks, wow"

What is truly profane is carrying it all of this to such an extreme that you are trying to censor reality- and to censor human reaction to such a horrific event. You are then in many ways equating that day to something like Howard Stern or Janet Jackson's breast-to do that is so profane and really evil and sick when you think about it. And I do think that even kids should be exposed to the human suffering and pain that really happened that day, in an age appropriate fashion. It is so important. It is the decision of individual parents of course. I watched this documentary when it originally aired. It was certainly very difficult for me, but I needed to-and no way in hell do I think anyone should censor it. It's pathetic, and embarrassing. The reality of that day was already censored for those of us who weren't there and who didn't live through it, or die on it. Just think about what really happened, and what we didn't have to see and hear.

Last edited:
yolland said:

Have you seen the documentary, 80s? It's been aired on CBS before.

Live footage of a plane slamming into the North Tower...the sound of bodies hitting the ground...burning buildings with thousands of people in them collapsing...one of the filmmakers just barely escaped with his life, he was in the North Tower lobby where he'd followed firefighters in when the South Tower fell...and you're worried about swear words? It isn't a movie. They weren't reading from a script.

As a parent I'm plenty capable of deciding for myself whether my children might be mature enough to handle this documentary. And the profanity would be about the last thing I'd have concerns over in making that decision.

Yolland, why so upset? Someone said that forcing a production company to take out swear words was stripping us of our constitutional rights. I was simply stating that the constitution provides no "right" for a company to put swear words on TV.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

melon said:

"Focus on your own damn family."

Melon

It takes a village.
--Hillary Clinton

I would agree, there's far too much intrusion from outside the family into the raising of children. From I suppose, both the snoops and busybodies of the "nanny state" which feel the need to protect us from ourselves to the self-righteous defenders of our culture with their own strict definitions of good-taste and art.

Label the product. Let the consumer decide.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

INDY500 said:

It takes a village.
--Hillary Clinton

I love how you always quote her, as if she's the spokesperson for every non-conservative...it's funny.

MrsSpringsteen said:
So far, about a dozen CBS affiliates have indicated they won't show the documentary, another dozen say they will delay it until later at night and two dozen others are considering what to do.

On Friday, Sinclair Broadcasting became the latest company to say it was delaying the broadcast until after 10 p.m. on its stations in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Portland, Maine, saying it was concerned it could face fines.

:happy: nice to see the local station is at it again, it seems like they did the same exact thing when Saving Private Ryan aired on memorial day a year or two ago...

MrsSpringsteen said:

:huh:

Those folks that can't stand to hear swearing must have a bitch of a time living a world where it's common practice to verbalize your feelings.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that the people who are behind this don't swear in their own homes. I mean, for years my mom would only say things like "oh, those blankety-blank so-and-sos" when she was mad.

But I'm not willing to think they believe it's harmful for people (yes, even kids!) to know/see/hear that people said bad words on September 11th.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Censoring September 11th

martha said:

You do realize she didn't make that whole concept up, don't you.
14498meher-baba.jpg

You do realize that's the worst picture of Ron Jeremy...ever.:)

Back
Top Bottom