Celebrities & Politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm not sure why so many celebrities feel the need to voice their opinions, because they're out of touch with reality and can no longer relate to the middle and lower class.

They take advantage of their celebrity status to try and educate people on their positions. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, look at Bono! Listen, if they can stir up otherwise clueless americans into action that's just fine with me whatever side they're on.

I don't always see it as a bad thing, but I see the Hollywood folks as empty and bitter most of the time. From time to time, they offer something for both sides to think about, like using alternatives to gas so we don't have to keep buying from the Middle East.

so then you must, from time to time, see a need for them to voice their opinions.

no?

kobayashi said:
so then you must, from time to time, see a need for them to voice their opinions.

no?
I'm not always against it, but then again, I rarely agree with them.

You don't have to agree, but they may also feel that precisely because they have been granted great privilege and have the ability to command great audiences, they have a moral responsibility to speak up for what they believe is right. Like Spider-Man: "With great power comes great responsibility."

It seems to me that this is how Bono sees it.

I think the frustration some may feel is that only a few use their great power responsibly (i.e., Bono), while others just become loud mouthpieces for a cause.

I don't object to celebrities expressing their views. People in Hollywood are U.S. citizens with all the rights guaranteed all Americans. I don't necessarily think they're "out of touch". I mean, hell, if they all are, then, I suppose so am I since I'm a heavy-duty liberal. It would be a mistake to characterize all liberals as "bitter" or whatever. We simply have different views which we think it'd be ridiculous, if not counter-productive, to hide. I don't believe in bottling up my emotions, and I don't expect anyone else to do this. If they're in show biz, and want to express how they feel about the political situation, then, heck, I want to hear them. Bottling up your emotions is a disastrous mistake, and it should, in my opinion, never be done.

Actually, I think there are many wealthy Hollywood types that are out of touch with the life of the average citizen.

And when you get into hyperbole, like "I'm moving out of the country if Bush is elected" - then the commentary becomes a negative to the party they are supporting.

Oh, no doubt some of these people *are* out of touch with average Americans. But I think it'd be a mistake to paint all liberals in Hollywood, or anywhere else, as "out of touch".

You have to release that most of these celebrities are "artisits" and probably spent some time paying their dues while living in sh-- holes. And just because you are a celebrity doesn't mean you have to give up your voice. It's been so frustrating because I couldn't volunteer for a political race and couldn't wear even political buttons because of my job. If you're not going to get fired for raising your voice and you want to raise, why shouldn't be allowed to? There are alot of celebrities that either said nothing or said something stupid and uneducated about the election but some of those that spoke up were actually educated about what they were talking about.

Yeah, I think it's not whether they do it or not but how they do it. Bono is obviously the poster boy for doing it right. The many actors/singers etc who just scream slogans seemingly without any thought - they're intentions may be all good, their education on the subject may be quite thorough, they may be right, but it's day is done and it now has a negative effect. The flipside is of course the fact that most people today are not going to sit down and thoroughly read through the issues and form and opinion, not going to listen to lectures from politicians, professors, scientists, experts etc etc. If a celebrity can make these issues look 'cool' and people follow and check them out and educate themselves, well it's a fucking sorry world we live in, but if thats what it takes....

Bono has a training program?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds16890.html

Brad Pitt takes up AIDS cause in Ethiopia!:
[Health India]:
London, Nov 11: A fund-raising campaign organized by DATA, a lobby group co-founded by U2 rocker Bono saw none other than Hollywoood hunk, Brad Pitt travel to Ethiopia to learn more about AIDS.

http://news.newkerala.com/health-news-india/?action=fullnews&id=42132

This is just one of many I have read lately about Brad Pitt's trip to Africa on behalf of Data.

Point is I hope being famous really helps/counts for more than it's given credit for. IMO

Last time I checked, one does not give up one's citizenship or right to free speech and an opinion when one becomes famous.

Wasn't Bush the least rich of the two main tickets. Politics needs obscene ammounts of money because money buys influence and makes indiscretions go away.

A_Wanderer said:
Wasn't Bush the least rich of the two main tickets. Politics needs obscene ammounts of money because money buys influence and makes indiscretions go away.

That's depressing, but no doubt true in many cases. That aside, how much do we think Bush, Kerry or any other multi-millionaire can understand what it's like to be poor? After all, isn't that why the person who started this thread was criticising celebrities who make political statements?

The Senate has been called "a millionaire's club". Politicians are people who chase money and power. Most, if not all, celebrities are artists who had to pay their dues and just last in the business, show business is very hard to make it in, and the majority of people who go into acting or music or whatever never become rich and famous, they have to change careers because they're not making money. Initially no one makes money and it's a struggle that can last years. My sister's ex-husband tried to make it as an actor. He even had an Equity Card, but to no avail. He had to work at another job the whole time he was in theatre. It's not all sequins and glitter in that business, trust me. If you're in any of the arts you have to struggle. If you're successful, you're under a ton of pressure to keep on "producing". There is a difference between a thoughtful, intelligent activist like Bono and someone who just shouts cute slogans or whatever. But, before you judge these people, take the whole picture into consideration, not just bits and pieces of a whole.

I respect what Bono is doing because he's a uniter, not a divider. Also, the AIDS issue can unite the right and left, as well as America with the rest of the world.

Bono is a great example of a celebrity who takes matters into his own hands, especially because he's become non-partisan and willing to work with both sides. I'm not so sure about all these Bush-bashing celebrities. That's what I've really grown tired of.

You're right, Bono is a unifier, not a divider. That's probably the main reason he's been able to accomplish what he's been able to accomplish. He can go in and talk to President Bush, Senator Frist, *and* liberals like Senator Leahy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom