Catholics and Condoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drhark said:
A Church that claims to speak for God and claims it's teachings to hold the truth cannot change its fundamental beliefs and promote something contrary to it's tenets. You choose to be a member and subscribe to it's belief system or not. The Catholic Church is one of the only religions in the world that has a central authority. The Spanish CC is going against Rome if indeed the bishops are condoning condom use.

That being said, after reading the article, there may be some misinterpretation. The spokesperson for the bishop's conference was quoted as saying,"Condoms have a place in the global prevention of AIDS," which is an absolutely true statement. Much can be inferred from that statement alone. I'll wait til a bishop speaks out on this.

But if the Catholic Church officially supports the use of condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS, it follows that they'll be distributing them at church soon. Ridiculous.

I don't think they'll be giving out condoms in any churches, anywhere. These should be given out at clinics and such.

I thought there was a spin to all this.

A lot of valid points have been made on this thread, but a 2000 year old institution ( OK that's a debate for another thread) can't go changing it's teachings without serious thought and debate, such as Vatican II (although I'm not sure if V II didn't just change procedure).

Let's also try to imagine how many lives the Church's teachings on sexuality have saved. This is a valid question.

Macfistowannabe said:
I often hesitate making comments like this, but if Jesus was in charge of this decision, I would think he would not want the AIDS victims to die, he would heal them by any means, just as he healed the leapers who were outcasted in their society.

No debate about this. He would heal them. Then He would say. "Go forth and sin no more">

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Probably not near as many as the Church would like to think.

Let's not forget before AIDS we had syphillis, et. al.

I wouldn't be so quick in attempting to answer this question

Anthony said:
Forgive me, drhark, but it does 'not' follow that they will be distributing condoms at church soon. A body can remain passive, at the very least, while not condemning the action itself. In fact, the Catholic Church is very good at that, if history is anything to go by.

Respectfully, I question your logic.

Ant.

I beg to differ. Most on this thread would prefer if the Church were NOT passive on this matter. If the Catholic Church officially endorsed condom use to stop AIDS it would be irresponsible for them to not make condoms available.

Signing off for now. I'm always happy to provide a contrarian point of view

Whether there are those on this thread who would like that, it doesn't really matter. Can you really see the Church doing that, even if it wasn't against the use of condoms?

Logically, no.

Ant.

drhark said:
I thought there was a spin to all this.

A lot of valid points have been made on this thread, but a 2000 year old institution ( OK that's a debate for another thread) can't go changing it's teachings without serious thought and debate, such as Vatican II (although I'm not sure if V II didn't just change procedure).

Vatican II didn't change any basic or fundamental teaching of the Catholic Church. It mainly changed practices, as in the language of the mass, lay eucharistic ministers and lectors, and changing the Church's position on democracy to support it, and working with Protestants, Eastern Orthodox Christians and non-Christians. It completed the end of the "siege mentality" of the Catholic Church vis a vis the rest of the world. It didn't change any of the basic teachings on Jesus Christ as the Savior and God.

Last edited:
better to pound a quart of ben and jerrys than ben or jerry

drhark said:

I wouldn't be so quick in attempting to answer this question

heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers
and the other obesity related diseases

trump all STDs

Last edited:
Just to clarify things....

Pope Reaffirms No Condom Stand After Spain Debacle

"The Holy See ... believes prevention through education about the sacredness of life and the correct practice of sexuality, that is chastity and faithfulness, is necessary above all other things in order to prevent this disease responsibly," the 84-year old Pontiff said in a written address.

The Church opposes condoms in all except the rarest of circumstances because they are a form of contraception.

How do you support homosexuality and lead the way in fighting AIDS simultaneously?

And why don't the catholics like condoms again?

Last edited:
I don't for the life of me understand why anyone would let a bunch of celibate (or supposedly celebate) men determine how her or she behaves sexually. :scratch: And marriage counseling...what's it with going to a priest (or nun) to talk about marriage? I don't think a counseler has to have personally experienced everything a client has -- that's just not possible, but priests and nuns (and many other religious clergy) don't live in the real world, so what do they know of it?

shart1780 said:
How do you support homosexuality and lead the way in fighting AIDS simultaneously?

What the hell are you talking about?

ditto what Indra said.

seems as if the support of homosexuality and the combating of AIDS are nearly one and the same.

make no mistake: homophobia kills.

shart1780 said:
Those who practice homosexuality tend to extract HIV more often.

You are so full of shit. Homosexuals are no longer the highest statistic in contracting HIV in this world. Please educate yourself.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You are so full of shit. Homosexuals are no longer the highest statistic in contracting HIV in this world. Please educate yourself.

Would you say a homosexual is more or less likely to extract HIV than a heterosexual?

shart1780 said:

Would you say a homosexual is more or less likely to extract HIV than a heterosexual?

Did you not read my post? Plus lesbians are the least likely next to virgins so there goes that theory.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Did you not read my post? Plus lesbians are the least likely next to virgins so there goes that theory.

You didn't respond to my post. If I, an American living in the states, were to practice homosexuality do you think I'd be more or less likely to extract HIV?

And lesbians and condoms don't have much in common.

shart1780 said:

You didn't respond to my post. If I, an American living in the states, were to practice homosexuality do you think I'd be more or less likely to extract HIV?

And lesbians and condoms don't have much in common.

No and you didn't specify you said homosexuals.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No and you didn't specify you said homosexuals.

Are you serious? You're telling me that you honestly believe a homosexual man is no more likely to extract HIV than a straight man???

And , yeah sorry, I didn't specify that I was referring to men.

shart1780 said:

Are you serious? You're telling me that you honestly believe a homosexual man is no more likely to extract HIV than a straight man???

Can't find any numbers that just deal with America right now, but the world as a whole NO. And if I'm not mistaken HIV is a worldwide threat.

shart1780 said:

I'm afraid these are the facts:

Among men diagnosed with AIDS in the United States in 1996, male-to-male sexual contact accounted for the largest proportion of cases (50 percent), followed by injection drug use (23 percent).

Although...

Heterosexual transmission accounts for an increasing proportion of AIDS cases in the United States. From 1985 to 1995, the proportion of U.S. AIDS cases attributed to heterosexual transmission grew from 2.5 percent to 15.1 percent.

Sources:

http://www.healthsquare.com/aids_stats.htm

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report, 1996;8(no.2):1-40.

Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention: Surveillance Branch, Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV Infection, STD, and TB Prevention. Unpublished data, March 1997.

Note: Latest sources indicate that among men, 59% of cases are from male-to-male sexual contact.

Still, the world would be a better place if we promote any possible measures to prevent the disease from spreading.

Back
Top Bottom