Capital punishment - a moral, humane choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
The argument is sometimes made on this forum by those of us that are against the death penalty that those of us that support the death penalty are engaging in crass, inhumane vindictiveness.

An interesting counterbalance to this particular argument comes from the surprising source of a long-term 'lifer', who claims that the majority of 'lifers' actually support the death penalty.

One long-term lifer, a woman in fact, told me once that she never met a lifer in her time in prison who didn't approve of capital punishment. Her response was overtly subjective, but she said it with such blackness that I have never forgotten it.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/09/08/story510169528.asp

Not a scientific survey, granted, but could it be that those in life imprisonment without the possibility of parole find their situation to be a worse punishment than the death penalty?

If this is the case, is it not in fact, LESS vindictive to advocate the death penalty?

Meanwhile, here is one that will, hopefully, soon be put out of commission. Permanently.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/22/duncan.verdict.ap/?iref=hpmostpop

I don't think it really matters. I think it's more important that, if the justice system did in fact fuck up, there still be a chance for someone incorrectly sentenced to have a chance to be freed.

I don't think it really matters. I think it's more important that, if the justice system did in fact fuck up, there still be a chance for someone incorrectly sentenced to have a chance to be freed.

That is a good argument against the death penalty, granted. It's a better argument than the 'but's it's just inhumane!' argument, which is wrongheaded, in my view.

A friend of mine whose brother was murdered once told me that he was against the death penalty on principle for the very reason you mentioned.

I am against the Death Penalty. But, when convicted, life should mean just that. Though, the convicted should always have the right to appeal, especially if there is any doubt, he or she is guilty. I would hate to see an innocent person put to death.

Back
Top Bottom