Cancer should be more discriminating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheU2

Refugee
So, I was vacationing on the cape when I came along the obit for Stephen Gould, the famed Harvard professor. God, what an amazing guy. I wish that this cancer thing would be more discriminating. To take a guy like this....argh.

I'll give a quick synopsis of his life. He's a Columbia educated paleontologist who began his career at Harvard and never left. Did amazing, groundbreaking research that ultimately led to his (along with Eldredge of Museum of Natural History fame) famous theory of "punctuated equilibrium". Punctuated equilibrium basically states that evolution happens in spurts with long gaps of time where nothing happens. Anyway, this theory contradicted with what was normally understood.

He wrote and published many books that helped explain complex scientific theories to the common man (me included). His writings culminated in "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory" which is a 1,500 page monstrasity that was the result of 20 years work.

On top of that, he was a huge yankee fan. That proves that no one is perfect.

Anyways, here is a link to the Harvard Gazette article that sums up his life and contributions.

Gould

As I was driving home from the upstate, I was listening to Public Radio. Its 90.3 in capital land and 93.9 in Metro NY land. On "All things considered," they were interviewing this physician who went to Harvard undergrad and medical schools.

This guy got involved in a project/independent study where he would meet with Gould every week and discuss and interpret Bach's music. The physician met with Gould every week for one hour for 3 full years. I wonder if this guy knew how lucky he was to have access to this brain for one hour a week for such a long time.

Anways, go back to your silly ways.

CK

Last edited:
It picked my grandfather, too.

Jessica is right--and that is something that people tend to forget about AIDS as well as cancer.

It took my dad.

It left my sister scarred and taking a dozen pills a day to battle it.

It has for the last 10 years eaten away at one of my best friends (who has three young daughters).

While I'm sure an intelligent Harvard paleontologist will be missed by many, so is my dad and paxetaurora's grandfather and everyone else that has to suffer and die this horrible death.

As much as I hate to, I live in fear of cancer.
My grandfather died from it, as did my uncle.
Two aunts have had it.
My father is still recovering.
My mother had a scare.
My brother had it.
My best friends mother died from it when she was 14.

I cant help but think that I might be next, with a family history like that - it's so worrisome.

Cancer is definitely not for the faint of heart.

It took someone in my life - she was such a bright spirit...still is actually...burns bright at night....she stays with me always...she would be my mother.

Cancer proves to be destructable, non-caring, beating. It knows no boundaries.

It tears people apart bit by bit, takes there dignity until there is nothing left.

Cancer is not a friend to me.

Cancer plucked the love of the my life right out of my life last fall, at the age of 42, on 30 days notice. But he is with me always.

joyfulgirl said:
Cancer plucked the love of the my life right out of my life last fall, at the age of 42, on 30 days notice. But he is with me always.

:( that is so incredibly, heartbreakingly sad. i am so sorry.

Like O2 said:

While I'm sure an intelligent Harvard paleontologist will be missed by many, so is my dad and paxetaurora's grandfather and everyone else that has to suffer and die this horrible death.

So true....

CK

Yeah, my grandmother had it(she survived), some distant relatives and friends have had it. The idea of it scares the shit out of me, it really does. I pray that it stays out of my life and the lives of those i love...
I cant believe it still claims so many lives. It dims further any faith I have in mankind. And i have very little to begin with.

"Cancer is just another example of why we should live our lives to the fullest and it illustrates how fragile life really is - and in essence, how worthless it is in the end" -Me

:( It took my beloved Grampa Ed on June 12, 1999. I miss him every, single day.

It breaks my heart to see the two side-by-side reclining chairs in my grandparent's living room, the same place I visited with him for 33 years, knowing that his chair will always be empty.

Bono's American Wife said:
It breaks my heart to see the two side-by-side reclining chairs in my grandparent's living room, the same place I visited with him for 33 years, knowing that his chair will always be empty.

i know how you feel. :(

i'm afraid i might lose someone else even closer to me to cancer, too. maybe even two. :cry:

My dad was diagnosed with an aggressively malignant brain tumor at the beginning of the year. This has been the worst year of my life.

*hugs* to all. i've had cancer touch my life too, but not as close as many of you. i pray that you will feel healing.

cancer now has a big place in my life and sometimes i wonder whether i talk about it and death too much.
i wonder whether people don't want to hear about it, but its hard yto know and hard to stop yourself from talking about it when it has had such a huge impact on your life.
you mainly try to be frank about it as its just a part of your life but when you do, you notice the looks that people give you.
You feel that " this girl is nuts, shes talking so openly about her father's death in front of me and i really dont want to know" look.
I pretty much dont talk about him at all now because i know it makes other people uncomfortable.
i wonder if i talk about him too much here even.

Zooropa_Amanda:

Despite my request for your banishment in Lemonade_Stand, I wished to let you know that you can talk to us any time about anything, as openly as you want. It does not make us uncomfortable, and you do NOT talk about him too much. Feel free to talk to me if you ever need to!

~U2Alabama

....and then it is very close. A co-worker of me has cancer. We heard it yesterday. Not smoking, not drinking, and 27 years old.

And i do not know how to react, well time will learn.

Back
Top Bottom