Canadian MP fired for anti-Bush comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandy

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Martin kicks maverick MP Carolyn Parrish out of Liberal caucus

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../cpress/20041118/ca_pr_on_na/maverick_liberal

OTTAWA (CP) - Prime Minister Paul Martin dropped the hammer on outspoken MP Carolyn Parrish on Thursday and no one shed a tear over her ouster from the Liberal caucus.

Cabinet ministers, backbenchers and even opposition critics on the left who share many of her views said she had it coming.

The suburban Toronto Liberal gained notoriety for her outspoken anti-Americanism - "Damn Americans, I hate the bastards," she once said - and for calling George W. Bush "war-like."

Earlier this week, she taped a segment for CBC-TV's comedy show This Hour has 22 Minutes in which she stomps on a Bush doll.

That prompted the Conservatives to demand Martin boot her from caucus for offending the Americans.

But the final straw for Martin came after Parrish took direct aim at his leadership in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"I cannot, as leader of our party and the government caucus, tolerate behaviour that demeans and disrespects others," Martin said less than 24 hours after Parrish's attack.

"It is unacceptable."

:up: good riddance.

Flying FuManchu said:
"Damn Americans, I hate the bastards,"

Anti-Bush? More anti-American to me... oh, well.
Exactly. I don't blame Martin, he was probably more offended by the Anti-America comment. It's like Bush saying, "We should go to war against Canada, since they're a bunch of ..."

I love Canada by the way, certainly no offense intended.

Oh Canada, our home and native land....i miss you country that i lived in for a period of time.
I would've fired that mp just for jumping on a doll on TV...wacko

Stomping on a doll isn't going to accomplish anything. I'm all for meaningful, peaceful protesting against Bush, but this behavior certainly doesn't fit the criteria in any way.

She was fired because of the last event of the Bush doll stomping incident. In the newsreel they're running of the incident, she looks like a total whack-job.

It's sad to see public officials act like two year olds. If she has a problem with Bush, there are more articulate and intelligent ways to voice her concerns. The anti-American comments are indefensible. Unfortunately, incidents like these are the ones that get broadcast the most, and we all know that disrespect inspires more disrespect.

verte76 said:
Stomping on a doll isn't going to accomplish anything. I'm all for meaningful, peaceful protesting against Bush, but this behavior certainly doesn't fit the criteria in any way.
Yes, if any protesting should be done, it should be done in the name of peace.

That story leaves out details about what the "final straw" was, and why Martin fired her. Yes, it was inappropriate to appear on that satiric comedy show and stomp on the doll, but the real reason she was fired is for what she said about the Prime Misiter and his team: "I have absolutely no loyalty to this team. None. After what they've put me through and lots of my colleagues, they can go to hell....If he (Martin) loses the next election and has to resign, I wouldn't shed a tear over it." There is no way he could have allowed someone to remain in the party who so brazenly questioned his ability to govern.

yes. mr. bush's upcoming visit generated another round of press attention (the what 'will be done with parrish' angle) for the outspoken MP and she used it to blast bush followed by a good denouncing of her party leader and the party itself.

watch out though. she now has loyalty to no one and still a seat in the house of commons. that means she has every right to be present during bush's speech and given the level of vitriol she has spewed previously, some argue it would be hypocritical of her, at this point, to not heckle him.

Sometimes when I see her speak, I think maybe she's on something.

She used to be my MP until we got re-drawn into another riding.

to use south park speech, is she in running for douche-bag of the universe award? stomping on a doll....i've seen her and seriously, douche, what else can one say?

Anti-American!

Flying FuManchu said:
"Damn Americans, I hate the bastards."

Anti-Bush? More anti-American to me....

Right U are, Flying Fu. It's intellectually dishonest and/or plain stupid for anyone to have interpreted that bytch's comment as anti-President Bush when she would have seemingly stated the same mindless hate if President Clinton were in office. :(

As far as the old Parrish Ho being 86'd, bad riddens! :madspit:

Last edited:
kobayashi said:
no actually. given the greater context of her comments she is anti-bush.
Calling George W. Bush "war-like" is the only thing anti-Bush that I came across in the article. We should all be insulted that she went the extra mile to call us all a bunch of bastards. She didn't make any exceptions, at least from what I read.

She is a douche so i am not offended by what she said...obviously 49 percent of those who voted don't care for bush either.
Oh, and i constructed this to show how her comments are anti-bush:
Americans are bastards
Bush is an American
::Bush is a bastard

I dunno why ppl dislike Bush sooo much...

He is a excellent president! The only thing he want is peace to the world and to the USA!!!

Look how good too the economics are in the USA now...

We need Bush in the job for as long as he live!

Some of us just don't agree with Bush's ideas or agenda. It's not necessarily a personal thing, it's certainly not with me. I think he's a decent guy who wants to do the right thing, I just have different ideas.

verte76 said:
Some of us just don't agree with Bush's ideas or agenda. It's not necessarily a personal thing, it's certainly not with me. I think he's a decent guy who wants to do the right thing, I just have different ideas.

Decent guy?

:huh:

verte76 said:
That's about the nicest thing I've heard from a Bush opposer. If only we weren't so fanatical, so hateful, and so absolute, there would be more people like you.

Macfistowannabe said:
Calling George W. Bush "war-like" is the only thing anti-Bush that I came across in the article. We should all be insulted that she went the extra mile to call us all a bunch of bastards. She didn't make any exceptions, at least from what I read.

that was my point. read something other than that article. she is an idiot. she flies off the handle and makes silly comments-not unlike say...bush at times(;))
at other times, she makes it quite clear she is not anti-american. not that it matters one iota.its not like americans at her level have never made disparaging remarks of canadians.

kobayashi said:

that was my point. read something other than that article. she is an idiot. she flies off the handle and makes silly comments-not unlike say...bush at times(;))
at other times, she makes it quite clear she is not anti-american. not that it matters one iota.its not like americans at her level have never made disparaging remarks of canadians.
Your argument is probably more valid, and you've done more research on her than I have. But to find that she uses dolls to symbolize her hatred for our president is childish and anti-American in my view. Protesting is fine when it's done in peace. I would not doubt that she would throw a party if Bush got assassinated.

blueyedpoet said:
"I would not doubt that she would throw a party if Bush got assassinated."

........ I love parties!!!!!
(i hope no one actually responds to this)
Don't worry, I won't. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom