Canada will sign Kyoto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holy John

Acrobat
Finally, Jean Chr?tien is putting his boxers. The Canadian Parliament will sign Kyoto before the end of 2002.

Global warming is a fact (despite some private US lobby at the Earth Summit trying to persue that is don't (???)), northern Canada is litteraly melting up, ask farmers of Saskatchewan what they know about global warming. Asks Quebecois why this summer was so infernal, why there is no more spring season and why winter is warmer (but longuer). Look at the Earth's global weather : floods in Europe and Asia, a smog cloud twice as big as the US in Asia.....

I don't like him, but congratulations to Mr. Chr?tien. Global warming passes before national economical problems.

Global warming and pollution causes many problems. Just myself, I develloped serious asthma because of pollution (and allergies). When there is smog out there, I can't breathe, I've got those violent asthma crisis (face turns blue, etc..). This isn't only about myself, it happens to more and more people.

More good news from south-Africa,...

Germany will spend 1 billion Euro extra to help the poor country`s,...the UK and France will give 100 million Euro each for a better infrastructure in Africa.

1 euro is 0,98 dollar,...

This s indeed a good news about Germany. They were (and still are) deeply affected by the floods in Europe.

The summit in South Africa isn't only simply about environment and how to protect it, its about devellopment, energy, etc... Its a shame that President Bush, of the United States, isn't there (but that's for the topic specefically about the Earth Summit).

What the United States and the European Union must understand is that devellopment of the Third-World requires the USA/EU to end their subventions to their farmers. At least, end what is not necessary. These subventions are a real threat to the Third-World's accessibility to the USA/EU markets. For example :

India reached self-sufficiency in food by the rice culture. India has a particular rice wich is very appreciated around the world, USA included. The USA develloped the same rice (genetically modified to resist the USA's climate). Popular thought thinks that this USA-produced rice is cheaper than the Indian rice, wich is completely false. The same rice (without being modified) produced in India costs 2 times less than the rice produced in the United States, but the subventions to farmers make it cheaper indeed. The normal consumer will naturally buy the cheapest product and/or the product of his country.

This is a simple example on how national (extra) ubventions can be a threat to the Third-World devellopment. This is partially what's the Earth Summit is about.

that is indeed good, though how much will it really help?

i mean, we are such a small country compared to the us, if they dont sign it, their pollution wont exactly stop at the border.

but nonetheless it is a good move.

however, the government really needs to pay more attention to western canada.

we dont always need a prime minister from ontario or quebec, thank you.

Holy John said:

The summit in South Africa isn't only simply about environment and how to protect it, its about devellopment, energy, etc... Its a shame that President Bush, of the United States, isn't there (but that's for the topic specefically about the Earth Summit).

It is a shame Bush isn't there; he is missing out on the Royal treatment the attendees are receiving to include lush dinners of champange and Filet Mignon and Lobster, while outside the walls of the "brainstorming" the children are dying.

jean chretien's legacy...the man who saved the great white north

z edge said:
while outside the walls of the "brainstorming" the children are dying.

your point is?...
bush isn't immune to these comparisons either.
it's a buracratic gathering. wouldn't feel right if it wasn't wasteful.

Last edited:
Re: jean chretien's legacy...the man who saved the great white north

kobayashi said:

your point is?...
bush isn't immune to these comparisons either.
it's a buracratic gathering. wouldn't feel right if it wasn't wasteful.

My point is; (other than the obvious that I can't spell worth a damn) that it would be hypocritical of the attendees to scorn his (President Bush) abscence whilst being treated like kings amongst the poverty.

And for my own hypocrisy; it is proper to capatialize a persons' name when you write it down. For instance; you used bush when you may have meant to write Bush;):)

Thanks

Bush is too rapped up in the Us policy to give a shit about the rest of the suffering world. My PM is there and saying things that really have substance instead of spending a week in his ranch having lobster and filet minion and chanpange. At least some of the leaders of the world are having their good meals and expensive drinks somewhere they might make a bit of a difference!!!

Re: Re: jean chretien's legacy...the man who saved the great white north

z edge said:
And for my own hypocrisy; it is proper to capatialize a persons' name when you write it down. For instance; you used bush when you may have meant to write Bush;):)

Thanks

your posts lead to my questions...? how does my lack of capitals indicative of my own hypocrisy, as you allude to with your vague comment? i wrote bush because i never type capitals.

i challenge you, z edge, to read posts of mine, kobayashi, to find capitals. there aren't very many.

capitals are a waste of time.

Its great that advanced and worried nations like Germany and Canada are aproaching the enviromental issues with this commitment, in the end is one world, and countries that sign the Kioto treaty and those who don't share the same environment, this is something some countries seem to don't understand, in countries like mine, and in fact in all latin america we ahve big problems of polution, our industries are in many cases outdated in terms of prevention of contamination, in many cases the legislation is there, but there are no means to make the needed changes or to enforce them, even if everyone know we need to make the needed changes to protect the environment.
Its sad that Bush and the USA government seem to don't care about what most of the world cares, makes me think, on how most of USA allies are not supporting USA in his quest to attack Irak, I mean, if USA don't join forces to save the world from the problems of contamination (that I believe is a more important issue), how can they ask any other country to support their particular war?

If someone is bound to answer this, I hope is not in a sarcastic way.

Re: Re: Re: jean chretien's legacy...the man who saved the great white north

kobayashi said:

your posts lead to my questions...? how does my lack of capitals indicative of my own hypocrisy, as you allude to with your vague comment? i wrote bush because i never type capitals.

i challenge you, z edge, to read posts of mine, kobayashi, to find capitals. there aren't very many.

capitals are a waste of time.

*SIGH

HYPOCRISY ON MY PART SINCE I AM ATTEMPTING TO CORRECT SOMEONE ELSES MISTAKES (CAPITALIZATION) YET I CAN'T SPELL (AS I ALLUDED TO IN MY POST)

I CHALLENGE YOU, KOBAYASHI, TO RE-READ MY POST AND TRY TO SEE WHAT IT WAS I REALLY ALLUDED TO :D

*END SIGH

:)

bonoman said:
Bush is too rapped up in the Us policy to give a shit about the rest of the suffering world.

Thats real good. Speculation really works!

My PM is there and saying things that really have substance instead of spending a week in his ranch having lobster and filet minion and chanpange.

Is that what President George W. Bush ate at his ranch?

Oh, by the way he was on vacation at his ranch a MONTH not a WEEK:D And on his vacation, he spent traveling around in support of candidates speaking at fund raisers etc. He has a country to run, without being dictated by a liberal agenda to attend some whack-science fair when he already has plans of his own on the same topics being presented?

At least some of the leaders of the world are having their good meals and expensive drinks somewhere they might make a bit of a difference!!!

Well it would be nice if they did make a difference.

Last edited:
Well when the rest of the world steps up and signs the Kyoto agreement then there will be a difference made. If you say bush shouldnt attend a whack-scrience fair because you dont think its the right thing maybe the rest of your country sees it differnetly. If bush doesnt think it isnt a good idea then that gives him more motivation to attend such meetings and change peoples minds. You cant change peoples minds in your ranch.

bonoman said:
Well when the rest of the world steps up and signs the Kyoto agreement then there will be a difference made. If you say bush shouldnt attend a whack-scrience fair because you dont think its the right thing maybe the rest of your country sees it differnetly. If bush doesnt think it isnt a good idea then that gives him more motivation to attend such meetings and change peoples minds. You cant change peoples minds in your ranch.

Have you been to school, where they teach that when you write a person's name it is proper to use capital letters? Example; Bush = right, bush = wrong.

And if you bothered to read my post, you would have noticed that he (Bush not bush) was on vacation though he still traveled the country to attend and speak at political fundraisers throughout while having other world leaders (Prince Abdullah not prince abdullah) at his home (or yes, ranch).

And if you knew anything about "the rest of my country", you would realize that most of the people here are in support of doing what is best for us and not a bunch of politically motivated wackos whose main goal is to de-power and regress the United States (not united states).

And should you have watched the news yesterday, you would have seen that Colin Powell did attend the wack-science fair as the represenative of the United States to which he was heckled and booed (assumably by more of the wacko-freaks).

Thank You, and have a GREAT day :)

Last edited:
Spyplane said:

And if you knew anything about "the rest of my country", you would realize that most of the people here are in support of doing what is best for us and not a bunch of politically motivated wackos whose main goal is to de-power and regress the United States (not united states).

Ahh then you wonder why the rest of the world hates americans and bush. the politically motivated wackos are my leader Jean Chrietien and Germanys and China leaders. But i guess the us doesnt see the rest of the world as people of high importance.

Spyplane said:

And should you have watched the news yesterday, you would have seen that Colin Powell did attend the wack-science fair as the represenative of the United States to which he was heckled and booed (assumably by more of the wacko-freaks).

Those 'wacko-freaks' would be the rest of the world.
I can't hold my head up in this argument, aside from the US, the only country stupid enough not to sign on to Kyoto is... Australia.

Spyplane said:

Have you been to school, where they teach that when you write a person's name it is proper to use capital letters? Example; Bush = right, bush = wrong.

And if you bothered to read my post, you would have noticed that he (Bush not bush) was on vacation though he still traveled the country to attend and speak at political fundraisers throughout while having other world leaders (Prince Abdullah not prince abdullah) at his home (or yes, ranch).

Thank You, and have a GREAT day :)

Point one - why are you picking on people because of their grammar? It's the internet, people don't take as much care over spelling and grammar as they would if they were writing a thesis or something! :)

Point two - I don't doubt that the majority of US citizens want what's best for their country. However, people don't always agree on what's best. I'm sure many people there believe ratifying Kyoto would have been what's best for the United States, I'm sure many people disagree that drilling for oil in Alaska is what's best for the United States. There are differences of opinion even where people's ultimate goal (ie what's best for the US) is the same. And I'm curious about who you think the 'politically motivated wackos who want to de-power and regress the United States' are? Democrats in congress? ;)

Point three - I noticed that Coliin Powell was booed at the World Summit. However, instead of dismissing those who booed him as 'wacko-freaks' perhaps you could explain why you disagree with their opinion on Powell? It wasn't just because he's American - British PM Blair got a pretty frosty reception himself! And while we're on the subject - what examples of 'wack-science' were on display there?

Spyplane said:

Yo, yo, this is our main goal. You know why? Because we hate every country that starts with "U" (except of Uruguay).

First time I see a paranoid plane ;)

Does anyone know for sure that global warming is not high on Bush's list of priorities? Has he ever said as much? Do his policies reflect that? Someone said somewhere that while he may not be all tied up with the Kyoto agreement, he still has other plans for addressing the issue.

Or is all this based on the fact he was absent from this meeting?

Might want to add Howard to the list of leaders to bash too. He was absent, and if this logic follows, then he doesn't give a shit either....we got lots of farting cows here in Aus. Bad for the environment they are.

Well three things that i know of with bush and the enviroment is that he wants to drill in Alaska, which will hurt to envroment and Canada's enviroment, he also want to chop many trees down in Colorado so there wone be so many fires??, and he wont sign the Kyoto agreement. Theres three. And Angela i thought aussieland wasnt signing the treaty either?

Well the drilling in Alaska doesn't sound good. I dont know anything about it so cant really comment. As for Colorado and the chopping down of trees...Well, mass deforrestation is bad. But bushfires are horrendous. If he has the aim of decreasing the numbers of fires, that can only be good, in intention. It is something that has to be done in areas that are densley populated with trees. Chopping them down like I said is not what I would call the best option by far, infact, I dont agree with it. It would surely be a lot better to get a good back burn system going, build fire trails around the perimetres, spend the dollars maintaining them, then everyone wins. You keep your bushland, and keep the numbers of fires to a minimum.

Lastly, Australia. Tis true bonoman, we aren't signing. I think we should, but I posted that to kind of show how unfair it is to direct all this anger toward Bush, when other leaders are also not signing. I'm not inviting everyone to have their go at Aus, do it if you like as we really do deserve it, but I just think its a little biased to be taking the easy option of using this as another attack on the US pres. If its not an easy option attack on Bush, then why exclude my PM from this? Ya know?

I guess no one really cares about the leader of my country, yet everyone has an opinion on Bush. He shouldnt be singled out I dont think. It does appear to be a bit too convenient. Not writing this to anyone in particular either, or you in reply BM, everyone has the right to speak their mind in here. Just finding it, odd is all.

Angela Harlem said:
I guess no one really cares about the leader of my country, yet everyone has an opinion on Bush. He shouldnt be singled out I dont think. It does appear to be a bit too convenient. Not writing this to anyone in particular either, or you in reply BM, everyone has the right to speak their mind in here. Just finding it, odd is all.

I think maybe the reason so many people have an opinion on Bush is that he's the leader of a country which has such a huge impact on the world right now. If he's planning a massive war against Iraq, which the majority of the world don't want, then it's to be expected that he'll receive a lot of criticism.

Personally I think Tony Blair deserves a lot more criticism than he's getting for giving his support to Bush despite the wishes of the people in his own country.

Personally I think Tony Blair deserves a lot more criticism than he's getting

I disagree.

He deserves A LOT more than mere criticism. He deserves to be pushed out of office.

Ant.

Anthony said:

I disagree.

He deserves A LOT more than mere criticism. He deserves to be pushed out of office.

Ant.

Actually I agree with you - my statement about Blair didn't go nearly far enough.
Looks like he's going to get massive criticism from the TUC at this week's conference - I've heard Bob Crow and Dave Prentis on TV saying their unions are resolutely against a war. ASLEF and the RMT have put in a motion opposing it. And I think he can expect basically the same reception from Labour Party conference later this month. Do you think him being forced out of office is likely to happen?

Well, Fizzing, I certainly hope so.

Had this been the Tories, an entire school of Pirhana fish would be there waiting to rip the leader into shreds, and an entire flock of vultures would be hovering over the body afterwards... exactly what happened to dear old Maggie Thatcher. Thats how John Major got into power, remember? :)

However, this is the Labour Party, unfortunately. Bleeding heart liberals, politically correct fools and castrated males are the main constituents of this political phenomenom. Long gone are the days of Tony Benn (that remarkable statesman, that formidable genius) and John Smith; now all we have is the meekish Jack Straw and the Draconian Blunket, a man I once admired.

There is hope, though, in Gordon Brown. Many have speculated the tension between he and Tony Blair, and everyone knows that he is the brains of the operation. Also, he is anti-Euro, and is therefore already a contender for the Euro-nervous British population. I have always admired the man's wisdom, his prudence and his sheer intelligence.

Is he as charismatic as Blair? I am sorry to reply in the negative. He is better than Blair, but not as recognisable, it is for this reason alone that I may have to answer your question in the negative - there may be no replacement strong enough. Who they gonna get, Prescott? Lol.

You see, save for a few exceptions, Tony Blair has created a weak cabinet who will basically do what he says, therefore there is no really STRONG contender for Blair's place. There is no drive, no ambition, and no one strong enough to kick Blair out.

However, I do wish it. Oh, what I would give to see our Chancellor be the Prime Minister.

As far as I'm concerned, Blair has betrayed himself, his party, his government and perhaps most importantly - his people.

If he does NOT take the proper advice, he will go down in history as the man who said yes to the President of the US,. and no to his very own people.

Ant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom