Can Science Answer It All?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Where'd we come from? Why? Is there a God? How do we know? What makes us really tick? How do we fix the problems of disease and poverty and war?

Can science answer these questions? Has it already? Should it try?

:)

SD

These are perplexing, puzzling questions that science can't answer. They bother me, too. What's going on here? I'll never understand this.

nbcrusader said:
Scientific inquiry expressly excludes the notion of God to answer these questions.

Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure my pastor growing up would have objected to scientists interrupting his sermon to explain why the creation story is bullshit.

So it works both ways as far as I can tell.

Sherry Darling said:
Where'd we come from? Why? Is there a God? How do we know? What makes us really tick? How do we fix the problems of disease and poverty and war?

Science by definition CANNOT answer these questions.

For something to be scientific, it must be testable. You can't test any of those in a scientific way.

Judah said:
Science does well with answering the "what, how, when, where" stuff. The "why"...no. At least not yet.

That's not true of all scientific research - it may be true of SD's questions, but science is capable of answering a whole lot of "why" questions. It is no less capable of answering "why" than it is "how", etc.

If the question is can science answer the workings of the universe - which by definition is everything then I would say yes.

If the question is can science ever answer the worlds problems such as war, famine etc. having a world community that was open to new technology and ideas to adress those problems would go a long way.

A_Wanderer said:
If the question is can science answer the workings of the universe - which by definition is everything then I would say yes.

I don't see science ever answering everything about the inner workings of a cell, a biological system, the artifacts of signalling pathways, etc. We barely know anything at all, and the stochastic events in biological systems make it a guessing game.

If we could, my job would be so easy, LOL.

I am thinking in long, long, long term for this. The question is can science answer it all, science being
The study of the natural world through observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanations.
Now If I were to have ten million years of consistent scientific investigation and accumulated knowledge we would definitely know a lot - not all but a lot. Science will not answer everything in our lifetimes, but given infinite time and if the universe does not ultimately have impossible constraints science could answer it all, or a lot of it.

Cosmology would be a lot easier if we could create universes in the lab and subject them to experimentation.

the heisenberg uncertainty principle alone shows that science can't answert everything.

by definition, science cannot figure everythign out because of the uncertainty associated with electron positions and momentum in an orbital

There is a really good book on this topic called "The Philosophical Scientists". The premise is that God's existence can be proven mathematically. It basically billed as a mathematical proof of the existence of God. Lots of math, but also a very understandable interpretation.

There is no proof of God, the only possibility for the existence of God is that if the universe had an infinite size and an infinite permutation of physical laws then at an infinite series of points there would be a god like being in existence.

Back
Top Bottom