Campaign Lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stop calling us crazy, because we're "thinking" outside the box.

I wasn't aware that anyone had called you crazy.

The government benefited greatly from the attacks. As Kingpin pointed out the Executive Branch was basically given a free ride with any legislation they want to pass before Congress. This is scary, and usually impossible, but terror made it possible.

Well, yeah, okay. But some of these new laws and policies have already been challenged as unconstitutional; indeed, many were decried before they even went into effect. There are a lot of watchdogs on these things precisely because it is such a dangerous time. I take very seriously attempts to infringe upon the freedom of innocent people, but I think in the end things will even out.

...for the good of the country. It created more jobs in the defense department, stimulated the economy by a greater production of military weapons, took an angry, evergrowing consenous to the sidelines, and gave the government more power than they ever wished to possess.

Stimulated the economy? Whose economy? Last time I checked, the stock market was plunging, the 401(k)s of everyone I know are hemorrhaging, and unemployment in my area is something like 6%. Sounds like a stimulated economy to me.

When has the U.S. government put the needs of the working-class, few

I'm not even sure what you mean by this, but are you meaning to say that the working class are "few"? Come now, the working and middle class far outnumber the wealthy, quite obviously--and due to sheer numbers I bet they vote more too.

It's pretty well known that I'm a fairly liberal person, but this is too way-left fringe even for me. You could say that I just don't *want* to believe my government could have been responsible for 9/11, and I suppose you'd be right there. But think of how hard this would have been to pull off--and figure that the U.S. government would probably implode if the plot were ever discovered.

Look at this, too--our country doesn't exactly seem to be great at keeping secrets. Roswell, Project Blue Book, Watergate...you know the truth about this will come eventually in the extremely unlikely event that this was a government plot. And that, quite literally, would be the end of American civilization as we know it. Kind of a high price to pay for what would be, in the long term, short-term political gain.

I agree.
people put to much blind faith in governments

after doing a political science course this semester my eyes are vastly opened

I'm not commenting on anything in particular in this thread, I'm just saying that governments, as a rule, are corrupt to some degree. un-corrupt governments are the exception NOT the rule.

I would not rule out that they knew abot the attack before hand.

I will not believe that until there is strong evidence BUT I will not rule it out as so many of you do.
Believe me, history repeats itself and there have been countless sinister acts carried out by governments.

It is also the exception NOT the rule that governments actually care more about the average citizen than about power and wealth.
My american poli sci professor actually hinted that the americans had much to gain from this in that it gave them a warrant to attack afghaniston and free up MILES of oil lines.

anyway...whether the US government is the exception or the rule is all our own opinions.
20 years down the road perhaps it will all be cleared up. perhaps not

Re: annnnyways...

kobayashi said:
does anyone have any thoughts on the about-face bush appears to perform regarding economic policy as laid out in the article?

Yes...after I politely remind everyone that it just came to light a few months ago that President Kennedy's Joint Chiefs Chairman, along with several of Kennedy's top advisors and military advisors at the time actually had a detailed plan in place to "stage" an attack on America during the Cuban Missille Crisis in an effort to sell an all out invasion of Cuba by America to the American public. The plan called for a real missile attack on the east coast of the U.S., killing real people, etc etc. Thankfully, the plan was never approved by Kennedy...but it's scary that officials in high, powerful places have such disregard for human lives...especially THEIR OWN CITIZENS...in their mantra of "the ends justifying the means." Just something to think about for those who quickly dismiss government knowledge/involvement of 9/11 as extremist and preposterous.

Now, about the ORIGINAL intent of this thread, regarding Bush's about face on the economy as outlined in the article provided by kobayashi. Clearly, this is the most elusive and covert administration this country has witnessed. Orwellian is a great analogy for this administration...they want Big Brother involved in the daily lives of all Americans...suppressing our civil liberties, controlling the media, repudiating and threatening anyone who dares to disagree with them, and yes, rewriting history. Therefore, it is no big surprise to me that Bush wants to have his cake and eat it too on the economy. The fact of the matter is that Bush's economic policies have led America from surpluses to deficits and his "trifecta" remark is true compassionate conservatism in action. The tax cut he advocated and his conservative cronies in Congress rammed through is a train wreck that will only get worse as more of the cuts are implemented. Folks, the facts are that Reagan era trickle down economics don't work...except to make the rich richer, the middle class and poor poorer and budget deficits the norm rather than the exception.

W hit the "trifecta" all right...and we are all the worse off for it.

Re: Re: annnnyways...

Like someone to blame said:

Just something to think about for those who quickly dismiss government knowledge/involvement of 9/11 as extremist and preposterous.

The reason I dismiss it out of hand is because two of the planes were headed for Washington. It wasn't just the World Trade Center that was hit. And nobody noticed government officials evacuating their offices in advance of the attacks, did they?

they want Big Brother involved in the daily lives of all Americans...suppressing our civil liberties, controlling the media, repudiating and threatening anyone who dares to disagree with them, and yes, rewriting history.

I'm curious to know what civil liberties of yours have been suppressed over the last year.

Back
Top Bottom