Camp X-Ray comes to Manchester

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
this is interesting:

from bbc.com
[q]Camp X-Ray comes to Manchester
The controversial US internment camp at Guantanamo Bay has been replicated by campaigners in Manchester.
"This is Camp X-Ray" is a copy of part of the Cuban facility, home to captured Al Qaeda suspects and arrested "unlawful combatants" from Afghanistan and Iraq.

Nine volunteers - one for each of the nine British prisoners believed to be detained at the camp - will be "locked up" for nine days and nights, under 24-hour surveillance.

They will be fed soup, beans and rice - prepared in accordance with Muslim Halal law - and will be interrogated in sessions which will be broadcast live on local radio.

The reconstruction is based on the information about the camp made public by the US authorities, reports from the small numbers of journalists allowed inside and the testimony of former detainees.

Creator Jai Redmond said he had been working on a project for six months, after it began as a conversation between friends

"My personal perspective is that we have to take our protest about what the Americans and Britons are doing around the world into our workplace and I just happen to be an artist," he told the BBC.
Paul Fitzgerald, a volunteer who will play both an inmate and guard, said he wanted to make a statement by taking part.

"I'm outraged by what's happening in the real Camp X-Ray," he said.

"It's something the Americans want to keep secret and hidden."

The inmates will be formally abducted and driven with hoods over their heads to the camp's location on Bonsall Street, Hulme.
They will have to ask to use the toilet or have a drink.

"Even though it's acting it's dehumanising because we won't be able to speak to them," Mr Fitzgerald said.

Mr Redmond has created the camp in collaboration with the political art group UHC collective.

UHC says the installation is part of "Don't Cross The Line" - a series of 3 new art works on the theme of "the new imperialism".

One of the real Guantanamo inmates, 35-year-old Jamal Udeen is from Moss Side in Manchester - just down the road from the replica.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/manchester/3180456.stm
[/q]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom