CALL NOW to support new DROP THE DEBT legislation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Okay, all, here's the inside scoop from Jubilee USA. The Senate is trying to get new debt relief legislation thru; it'll pass the Senate but might get stuck in the House if we don't LET OUR REPS KNOW how we feel! If you live in

Connecticut
Ohio
Illinois
Arizona

and/or have the following Reps

Biggert (Il), Hyde (Il), Oxley (Oh), Shays(Ct), Hastert (Il), or Kolbe (Az)

please make a call or send a letter. Phone #'s and addresses are at http://www.congress.com house.gov. It's essential that this happens by EARLY NEXT week since that's when this legistlation, which will cut the debt of some developing nations in half, is being considered. We NEED at least 20 letters from each district. Let's get going! :)

Here's a sample letter.

Dear Representative (Name):

I am writing to express my support for deeper debt cancellation for impoverished countries. Debt relief has proven to be effective in putting kids in school and saving lives through increased access to health care. However, debt relief has not gone far enough. Debt service has only been lowered by one-third for a handful of countries.

Complete debt cancellation is needed to make the our foreign aid and President?s AIDS initiative effective. Debt relief will also help ensure global security through poverty reduction.

Please co-sponsor the Debt Relief Enhancement bill, to be introduced by Rep. Chris Smith, which will provide an additional $1 billion in debt relief for poor countries, especially those burdened by AIDS. Please contact Rep. Smith?s office to co-sponsor the bill and find out more information.

Please let me know your position on co-sponsoring the bill for deeper debt relief for impoverished countries.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Your Address

Thanks in advance,
SD

Just to let you know, if you're sending a letter to get your representative to sign on as an original co-sponsor of this bill, the letter won't get to the office for a couple of weeks because it has to be irradiated first.

So it sounds like calling is the way to go on this. Maybe this thread could be re-named:

Attention Connecticut, Ohio, Illinois & Arizona Residents!

It might get helpers that wouldn't normally check into this thread! If this helps - here are the phone #'s to call:

Judy Biggert - Illinois

Washington, DC Office
Phone: 202-225-3515
Fax: 202-225-9420

District Office
Phone: 630-655-2052
Fax: 630-655-1061

Henry Hyde (Congress) - Illinois
ILLINOIS OFFICE
(630) 832-5950

WASHINGTON, DC
OFFICE
(202) 225-4561

Dennis Hastert - Illinois
Washington, DC. Office
Phone: (202) 225-2976
Fax: (202) 225-0697

Batavia, IL Office
Phone: (630) 406-1114
Fax: (630) 406-1808

Dixon, IL Office
Phone: (815) 288-0680
Fax: (815) 288-0743

Congressman Michael Oxley - Ohio
Washington Office
202-225-2676

Within the state of Ohio only, Congressman Oxley has established the following toll-free number: 1-800-472-4154.

Christopher Shays, Connecticut

Telephone:

Bridgeport 203/579-5870
Norwalk 203/866-6469
Stamford 203/357-8277
Washington, DC 202/225-5541

By Fax:
Bridgeport 203/579-0771
Washington 202/225-9629
Stamford: 203/357-1050

Representative Jim Kolbe, Arizona
Washington, DC
202-225-2542

Tucson, AZ 520-881-3588
Sierra Vista, AZ 520-459-3115

meegannie, you are right!

Sherry - Are there missing Reps that need to be contacted? A few of the names in your list are from Congress.

Thanks!

I don't live in those states, but it is so important to remember this! It's crucial even though there is money for AIDS in the budget (and don't forget to tell your reps you are for that too!) Thank you so much Sherry, you are an :angel: Scarletwine, I will go check out that link now.

meegannie said:

LOL! No, thankfully, I don't have to answer the phones!!

Good for you! The World Bank was not too friendly on the phone either. But thats none of my business.

Well, I liked them anyway. I mean they?re the World Bank. Its just... yeah, I would have liked if I could have felt them smile through the phone. But with structural adjustment, that won?t work, I get it (they have to practise how to be rude with Africans, lol).

Have you read the great book by Joseph Stiglitz, "Globalisation and its discontents", meegannie? I can highly recommend it, if you?re interested. A critical, yet fair (?) insider view from an economist + nobel prize winner who worked for the World Bank.

Last edited:
This is great, ladies and gents! Yes, definitely give a call and send a letter. What I'd really love, and this is a whole new level of Angeldom, is to get some of you fine Interference Angels to visit your rep if you can.

PLEASE send your letter to your rep's state office, not the DC one. Meeganie brings up a good point. Security is not quite as tight. Remember you can fax, too.

Boston Anne, you're an :angel: for posting all that. I've been emailing and calling people all day and my fingers just ran out. :)

Bless ya!

Anyone know how I rename a thread? :huh:

SD

PS Whenhiphop-- yes, terrific book...I just finished it!

PPS Boston Anne *cough* could I ask you to post this at Zootopia? I never get much response there but I think they might know you better.

Last edited:
Damn, I'm not from any of these states. My Congressman, Spencer Bachus, is a debt relief suppporter. I wonder if it would help if I wrote him a letter and asked him to lobby.

Sherry, should calls go to the Congressmen
Henry Hyde - Illinois and Congressman Michael Oxley - Ohio? Are there missing Reps from these states?

I'm starting a thread at Zootopia, no problem, and thought I would list the #'s again.

Thanks!

Anne

BostonAnne said:
Henry Hyde - Illinois and Congressman Michael Oxley - Ohio? Are there missing Reps from these states?

I just checked the links again, and they are both Reps. I thought that Congress was referred to as Congressmen and the house are referred to as Representatives - but I guess they are all congressman. My Bad.

BostonAnne said:

I just checked the links again, and they are both Reps. I thought that Congress was referred to as Congressmen and the house are referred to as Representatives - but I guess they are all congressman. My Bad.

Ok - I edited to say I posted in the General Discussion Board and also in Hearts and Minds. Anywhere else over there?

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Gen. and Hearts and Minds sounds great. Any one else know of any major U2 boards we should post on? Spread this news far and wide, please!

:)

SD

Sherry, someone is wondering why we've specifically directed this just to people in these few states? I would say that it's because they are more apt to vote against the Debt Relief Enhancement bill than other Reps? Is that true?

BostonAnne said:
Sherry, someone is wondering why we've specifically directed this just to people in these few states? I would say that it's because they are more apt to vote against the Debt Relief Enhancement bill than other Reps? Is that true?

Sort of the opposite, actually, they are mostly-likely supporters. But guys, the desks of these Reps are SWAMPED. They will not act unless they hear from you! Committee membership has a lot to do with it, as well.

No one else is out there to write? :(

SD

Back
Top Bottom