California Legislature OKs Gay Marriage Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
which is why people crowing on about the "sanctity" of marriage are full of poo. marriage is only sacred in the eyes of the church and perhaps of the participants; there is *nothing* sacred about a legal and financial arrangement between two people.

Good point. And while I'd personally love it if all marriages, be they straight or gay, were actually referred to as marriages, because I really fail to understand why people get so hung up on that word being used for certain people, at the same time, deep's suggestion definitely works, too. It'd be interesting to see how some straight couples would feel about the idea of their marriage suddenly being called a civil union.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
It'd be interesting to see how some straight couples would feel about the idea of their marriage suddenly being called a civil union.

This one would be pissed. :angry: I like being married.

Of course, I'm one who thinks gay couples should have a chance to be married too, so what do I know. :wink:

martha said:
This one would be pissed. :angry: I like being married.

Of course, I'm one who thinks gay couples should have a chance to be married too, so what do I know. :wink:

LOL, I agree with ya :).

Do you think calling all marriages civil unions would make the straight couples who oppose gay marriage think twice about their stance, though? Or would they still not care?

Angela

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913...2EDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

"Children already being raised by same-sex couples can also benefit when those couples marry, the study suggested.

"First, marriage may increase children's material well-being through such benefits as family leave from work and spousal health insurance eligibility," the report said. "Second, same-sex marriage may benefit children by increasing the durability and stability of their parents' relationship."

The report comes as the Bush administration proposes some $1.5 billion in spending over the next five years on marriage programs and as the debate over same-sex marriage hits a fever pitch."

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913...2EDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

"Children already being raised by same-sex couples can also benefit when those couples marry, the study suggested.

"First, marriage may increase children's material well-being through such benefits as family leave from work and spousal health insurance eligibility," the report said. "Second, same-sex marriage may benefit children by increasing the durability and stability of their parents' relationship."

The report comes as the Bush administration proposes some $1.5 billion in spending over the next five years on marriage programs and as the debate over same-sex marriage hits a fever pitch."

protect children at the expense of 5,000 years of tradition!

;)

Heh, I wonder if this one girl in my English class will come across that study when doing research for her essay, MrsSpringsteen. 'Cause right now, her paper's about how same-sex couples should not adopt children, but the teacher is, obviously, expecting everyone in our class to find research from both sides, so...

Anywho, I can agree with that study's findings. I really just do not understand how people think a child being raised by homosexual parents will not have as good of a life or stuff like that. There's good and bad homosexual parents. There's good and bad heterosexual parents. As long as a couple can adequately care for a child, they should be allowed to have one, regardless of sexual orientation. End of story. Case closed.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom