Buy Nothing Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sparkysgrrrl said:
stealing is right when you don't have any money and you'd like to wipe your ass

Uh, is your whole story about stealing a roll of TP from McDonald's a joke or serious?

If it's serious, then congratulations. One way or another, you've completely negated the moral worth of your personal "buy nothing day" crusade.

If you really are a penniless pauper living on the streets, participating in "buy nothing day" is a rather vacuous ritual for you.

And if you're not, then stealing a roll of TP from McDonald's is morally incorrect. (Had you considered asking the McDonald's manager? Or taking some McDonald's napkins, which they're happy to give away for free? Or borrowing a roll from a neighbor or friend? Or using paper towels, paper, leaves, or a garden hose?)

Last edited:
:hmm:
My personal "Buy Nothing Day" crusade...it's actuall not my personal crusade, it's a day started by AdBusters that I thought ppl might like to know about.
And I already stated at the begining of the post, that it really means nothing to me because I hardly ever buy anything.
McDonald's does not give away their napkins freely, the neigbors were all gone for the day, the napkins and paper towels we were using for TP was all gone and I hardly think my bothering a manager on one of their busiest days to explain that I'm short on cash, would she find it in the bottom of her heart to lend me a roll of TP would have resulted in anything other than being a great nuicense in the day.

I had to take a piss.
McDonalds was close by.
I kept a roll for late while I was in there.
I hardly thing this is immoral, on the grand scheme of things, I'm not going to lose any sleep over questioning my ethics by doing this and I certainly hope nobody else would.

looks like they bought a whole of nothing at walmart!

Wal-Mart Reports $1.43 Billion Sales Fri.
Sat Nov 30, 5:53 PM ET Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news), the world's biggest retailer, on Saturday reported record one-day sales on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving that retailers hope will jump-start sluggish sales.

Wal-Mart said its U.S. stores racked up $1.43 billion in sales on Friday at its thousands of U.S. stores, which includes Sam's Clubs. That compares to day-after Thanksgiving day sales of $1.25 billion last year.

That represents the biggest single-day sales figure for the retailer.

Retailers have been forced to trim expenses all year to make up for slack sales and analysts are expecting a mediocre holiday season, as consumers fret over layoffs and a likely war with Iraq.

us3 said:
looks like they bought a whole of nothing at walmart!
Wal-Mart Reports $1.43 Billion Sales Fri.

I was just gonna say that this (ironically) unadvertised campaign that very little people even knew about, had little impact. My store alone did a 143% increase from last year. And this is combined with the fact that a storm was blowing through around our outdoor mall!

My advise, which I rarely offer, is that if you really want to make a change in the world get off your butt and actually do something. Join that organization that Elizabeth mentioned. But to simply refuse to buy anything won't even make a CFO bat his eyelids. I'm sorry if this came across as preachy. The campaign does have good intentions, I just think they go about it the wrong way. *shoulder shrug* Here are some other organizations that I personally am a member of and recommend.

Environmental Groups:
Clearwater Project
Environmental Defense
National Arbor Day Foundation
The Nature Conservancy

Social/Political:
The Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
United Students Against Sweatshops

:cute:

Well this is getting scary Cleasai, if you are involved with USAS arond here I may know you :ohmy:

If anyone bothered to check the link, they would see exactly what the purpose of the day was and what happens on the day. There are actions and rallys held, things are done to inform ppl, not to attack ppl and say "don't buy anything you evil human!!"

My apologies, Sparkysgrrrl. Based on the subject matter of this thread, it was my impression that you stole TP from McDonald's in an attempt to make some political or economic protest statement.

I agree with speedraver; the least you could do is return a new, unused roll of TP to the McDonald's location at your next convenience.

~U2Alabama

No problem U2Bama...
I certainly wouldn't want to confuse ppl into thinking "Anarchy! Steal some TP from evil Ronald McD!! Woo-hoo!"
haha

I'll make sure it's an unused roll that I put back (that cracked me up...a used roll of toilet paper :yuck: I'm not that radical)

paxetaurora said:
I dunno...for years now I've spent Black Friday with my stepmother and a few of my cousins, rising at the crack of dawn armed with coffee and department store circulars, and spending the day shopping, talking, and eating together. I've always found it to be a very fun day and a great bonding experience for the women of my family.
That sounds really sweet.

I did not shop on "Black Friday" as it is called, but not for some cause or statement. I just did not feel like going. I have a list of about 10 people that I am going to shop for and I am getting all things that they want. I think now a days people just want to make up days for shit. Don't buy gas on the 3rd Sunday with a full moon to tell the Oil Co. that we can control the price of oil. Or don't buy anything with and s in it to stop the clubbing of baby seals for a day. I do or do not shop when and where I want to. I am not some mindless automaton that is hypnotized by the secret messages in the TV commercials that tell me to shop in there stores. I think overall I am a fan of tradition. I think it is cool that paxetaurora made it a family bonding type event.

I always wanted to be like Janeane Garofalo and steal toilet paper out of a McDonalds bath room.

Back
Top Bottom