Bush's visit to MLK's grave unwelcome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SO in 1996, when President Clinton used this event as a CAMPAIGN speech, why was it acceptable?

Just curious....

he spoke about BOSNIA

No one protested...chastized....told him to leave.....

It is acceptable....for President Clinton to not only visit the grave, but to speak at the event by invitation of the family of MLK and bring up the need to intervene in BOSNIA.

This does not sound very Non-Violent.

And HE did use it as a CAMPAIN stop. CNN articles from 1996 called his speech that day in front of Mrs. King and her family a speech in which he was "testing" themes for his "re-election".

Oh....and I agree.....

If he had not gone.....the same people would be criticizing him for not recognizing MLK.

Dreadsox said:
Oh....and I agree.....

If he had not gone.....the same people would be criticizing him for not recognizing MLK.

Yes. It's very much a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't kind of situation. Somedays even a President can't make a nickel.

Dreadsox said:
SO in 1996, when President Clinton used this event as a CAMPAIGN speech, why was it acceptable?

Clinton had a good record on Civil Rights.

If he flew on AF One to a ?Promise Keepers? rally and collected a few million at a fund raiser, there might be a better comparison.

#1 What do the "Promise Keepers" have to do with this if anything?
#2 To be fair, did you oppose past Presidents travelling around the country on Air Force One? He would have had to take the essential staff with him anyways to go to the MLK Gravesite. The extra money paid for AF#1 is for his campaign staff. This is nothing new.
#3 Was his speech commemorating Dr. King's birthday before his Innaguaration in 2001 a PR stunt?
#4 Why one year ago did the King Family go to the White House and present President Bush with a Portrait of Dr. King to hang inside the White House? To give the ANTI CIVIL RIGHTS President more PR? Amazing that she had such KIND words to say about President Bush at the presentation and his efforts to improve education.
#5 Would you characterize Mrs. Bush's visit to MLK's gravesite last year as a PR stunt?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mrs. King took the HIGH ROAD. She showed respect, as her husband would have shown. It is pretty clear that it is not the President who is making it political........

Of course....this just made me wonder where the protest zone was...they must not have made it 5 miles away.:wink:

What is absolutely appalling about this is the protestors doing this at his grave site. How utterly disrespectful!! Good God. Is nowhere sacred??
Those 700 individuals ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. That is disgusting.

Dread,

i will try do make time to respond to your reply, point by point.

i am in a relationship with a divorced mom with two young kids.

that is why i am posting less.

i appreciate this discussion
He Came Not to Praise King but ...

By Timothy McDonald
Rev. Timothy McDonald, pastor of the First Iconium Baptist Church in Atlanta, is president of the African American Ministers in Action program of People for the American Way.

January 19, 2004

Martin Luther King Jr.'s 75th birthday should have been an occasion for serious reflection on his life, his teachings, his legacy and his service.

Instead, in Atlanta, we were forced to deal with an insult: an uninvited, insincere visit by President Bush to lay a wreath at King's tomb.

The King Center quickly made it clear that it had not extended the invitation, and Bush's visit caused great consternation among King anniversary planners, who questioned the timing, motive and intent of this self-initiated presidential visit.

Many of us remembered that it was on King's birthday last year that this same president, on national television, launched his attack against affirmative action by directing his administration to join the legal case against the University of Michigan's admissions policy. To follow that action by laying a wreath on King's tomb this year represented the height of hypocrisy for many of us in the civil rights community. It was obviously nothing more than a photo opportunity designed to woo black voters to the Republican Party. Coming in an election year, it was a blatant attempt to use King's image for political gain.

And here's the most offensive part: After a brief "official business" visit to the grave site ? read: taxpayers foot the bill ? Bush rushed off to a $2,000-a-plate fundraiser that same evening, picking up a cool $1.3 million in Atlanta for his reelection campaign.

There's a reason African American voters overwhelmingly turn out for Democrats. King's philosophies could not be more different from Bush's. King, a man of peace, was one of the first to publicly oppose the Vietnam War. Bush, by contrast, has unilaterally and preemptively declared war upon another country, causing hundreds of American soldiers to lose their lives and costing the American taxpayer hundreds of billions of dollars. You have to ask how that is consistent with the life and teachings of King.

Three million jobs have been lost since 2001, and 9 million Americans are out of work. How would King feel about this? The poverty gap has widened under this president. Tax cuts have benefited the wealthiest Americans at the expense of the poorest, and certainly King ? who spent his final years decrying poverty in the United States ? would not support such policies.

King dedicated his life to racial harmony; Bush's policies have caused an even greater divide between the races.

It is time for protest, and about 1,000 people did so at King's tomb Thursday. The greatest expression of our commitment to King's dream is to redress our government when we feel it to be wrong. This is what makes our nation strong.

If President Bush was serious about honoring King, his rhetoric would be reflected in his policies. King would be honored by an America that not only talks about "no child left behind" but works for smaller classes, provides adequate funding for education, higher salaries for teachers and a public education system that is not treated like an unwanted stepchild.

King would be thrilled by a health-care system that took care of all of its citizens and a livable wage for all working Americans. King would work for campaign finance reform that does not allow the rich to buy elections, and he would strive to ensure that every vote is counted. King would not risk the lives of soldiers and use war as a pretext to secure oil.

On this 75th birthday anniversary, the veil of deception and arrogance was uncovered, and hope was reborn through protest, dissent and redress of our government.

The dream lives on.

I disagree with Bush. MLK isn't really worth a holiday nor worth the president wasting time visiting his gravesite. It's sickening how much attention he receives. There are hundreds if not thousands of figures in American history more deserving of a "holiday" like this.

DynamicAmerican said:
I disagree with Bush. MLK isn't really worth a holiday nor worth the president wasting time visiting his gravesite. It's sickening how much attention he receives. There are hundreds if not thousands of figures in American history more deserving of a "holiday" like this.

Welcome to FYM. I would love for you to start a thread of your 100 people more deserving of a holiday than MLK. It would make an interesting topic. You are truly DYNAMIC.

:applaud:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was SARCASM.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Welcome to FYM. I would love for you to start a thread of your 100 people more deserving of a holiday than MLK. It would make an interesting topic. You are truly DYNAMIC.

:applaud:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was SARCASM.

I'm not saying that MLK doesnt deserve a holiday.... but this subject has been debated quite a bit before, nationally. Some states do not observe MLK day, and most businesses do not either.

Lincoln doesn't even have a holiday anymore, nor does good ol' George Washington.

DynamicAmerican said:

Wow you've only been here for a few days and have already started two screen names. You could have at least changed up the location a little more and not been so obvious with your hate.

I just joined the forum. I've been seeing a lot of bashing/insults/etc. (accusations of people you disagree with being the same person as an example). So I decided to speak.

People who deserve a holiday more than MLK include our forefathers, inventors, religious heros, war heros, and countless others who didn't just try to make a name for themselves. There have been plenty of modest Americans who have done plenty of good for this country. MLK wanted to be a celebrity and was given the holiday to appease a group of people who always want more. Now it's slavery reparations. Give me a break!

It's not like he made things better. Now blacks have opportunity (in the parts of the country where it was limited), but still are wasting it. Affirmative action is just as racist as anything I've seen.

I wouldn't accept because I think only God and the ones who work for Him deserve it. A mass celebration of anyone's birthday other than Jesus Christ is wrong. It reminds of countries celebrating the fuher or the czar's birthday. It's like North Korea. It's wrong.

DynamicAmerican said:
I wouldn't accept because I think only God and the ones who work for Him deserve it. A mass celebration of anyone's birthday other than Jesus Christ is wrong. It reminds of countries celebrating the fuher or the czar's birthday. It's like North Korea. It's wrong.

So then you think we should just get rid of all holidays that commemorate one single person?

Well what do we have left? MLK Day and Columbus Day? Are those the only bank holidays for a single person we have left? I think we are better off without those, and adding Boxing Day and perhaps Three Kings Day, or Good Friday, or another religious holiday.

Elvis said:

I'm not saying that MLK doesnt deserve a holiday.... but this subject has been debated quite a bit before, nationally. Some states do not observe MLK day, and most businesses do not either.

Lincoln doesn't even have a holiday anymore, nor does good ol' George Washington.

Its called Presidents day.

Think before you post.

DynamicAmerican said:

It's called separation of Church and state. A good number of people in America and other nations do not recognize the Christian god. I don't. I prefer to recognize people with real accomplishments like MLK, not some fantasy force.

Dreadsox said:

Just curious....

he spoke about BOSNIA

However Bosnia and the war in Kosovo were sold as a war against Genocide. Clinton didn't lie about Slobodan Milosevic having nuclear weapons, and the capability of killing us Americans. We also had a REAL multi national coalition participating in the conflict, just ask Wesley Clark.

Skwege said:

Its called Presidents day.

Think before you post.

Excuse me....

There USED to be a holiday for each of those presidents.... now there is not.

So, oh wise one, why is there now one holiday representing ALL of our presidents, and one holiday for MLK alone... and not a holiday for MLK as well as all the other folks that have stood for equal rights?

Think before you post.

DynamicAmerican said:

Can you say "intolerant of others"?

I hate to inform you, but the majority of human beings on this planet aren't of the Christian (or related) faith.

From one site...
rel_pie.gif

DynamicAmerican said:
Right and hopefully with the war against Iraq and other conflicts we should work to convert these people to Christianity.

Uhm, I'm not sure if you noticed... but the crusades are over.

Btw... you're off topic.

Elvis said:

Excuse me....

There USED to be a holiday for each of those presidents.... now there is not.

So, oh wise one, why is there now one holiday representing ALL of our presidents, and one holiday for MLK alone... and not a holiday for MLK as well as all the other folks that have stood for equal rights?

Think before you post.

Because its a Federal Holiday. Each individual birthday for a President, means a day off for federal workers. They combined them all into Presidents Day to reduce the number of Federal Holidays.

DynamicAmerican said:
If you're going to call God a "fantasy force", why do you like U2?

I know alot of atheists who are fans of U2.
Besides I myself am not a atheist. I just don't believe in the god as portrayed by Christianity. I think most religions are frauds anyways.

Skwege said:

It's called separation of Church and state. A good number of people in America and other nations do not recognize the Christian god. I don't. I prefer to recognize people with real accomplishments like MLK, not some fantasy force.

It's funny how the people that cry about the separation of church and state never complain about the government and most corporations observing Christmas as a paid holiday to it's employees. You wouldn't want to rock the boat on that one because it's not convenient for your cause.

Let's talk about frauds...

S|aney said:

It's funny how the people that cry about the separation of church and state never complain about the government and most corporations observing Christmas as a paid holiday to it's employees. You wouldn't want to rock the boat on that one because it's not convenient for your cause.

Let's talk about frauds...

Because Christmas has become such a cultural event, that has risen beyond Religion.
Personally I really don't give a rats ass. I celebrate Christmas because I enjoy being with my friends and family. Nonetheless if I remember correctly, December 25th isn't even Jesus's "real birthday". It was just a convenient date that Christians chose to undermine the Pagan's Winter Solstice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom