Bush's Speech re: AIDS in Africa (SuperMerged MegaThread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plez vote on how you felt about GWs State Of Union Address

• Convincing- Im w GW.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I enjoyed The Speech and am now readjusting my views.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • GW is a clown.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Iam still a Bush Hater.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
gabrielvox said:
I would like to respectfully suggest that I strongly object to the merging of my post with Diamond's poll:

Suggestion respectfully declined.

Gabrielvox-
u must understand sicy rules this place but you do
have really neat hair.;)

Bear-
u r silly:sexywink:

GW is mine and your
underrated, underapprciated, semisexy hero, and.. the leader of the free world.

Please dont disturb me now, Im listening to Bowie's "Heroes"

thank u-
Diamond
:dance:

Last edited:
STING2 said:
Gabrielvox,

Attempting to minimize the threat from Iraq or mis-characterizing the threat, will not make it go away or change the fact that the world must deal with it or suffer the catastrophic consequences of not properly dealing with Iraq.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ETC ETC ETC

CUT AND PASTE AD NASEAUM ETC ETC

:drool: :barf:

EDIT (CUT OUT POTENTIALLY INSULTING COMMENT LOL)

This is not an attack on you personally, it is a concerned comment on what I perceive to be an inability on your part to follow the thread properly and comment with any degree of relevancy.

Nothing of what you said has anything to do with the fact that while we chase down an almost crippled regime, another MILLION PLUS people are going to die of AIDS in the next 11 months. No amount of rehashing the same old tired little 'facts' is going to change the fact that AIDS has and will kill far more people than Hussein ever has or will.

My post was about WHAT IS A FAR GREATER THREAT TO LIFE ON PLANET EARTH RIGHT HERE AND NOW and WHAT IS AT A STATE OF EMERGENCY.

So unless you intend to debunk THAT, please leave it alone.

Last edited:
Gabrielvox,

I have respectively read everything you posted and have in no way tried to restrict or edit what you have to say or where you say it.

I have commented on several area's in your post in regards to the nature of the threat from Iraq and the cost to the world if that threat is not dealt with. In my opinion your statements about Iraq were totally inaccurate and I have every right to comment on them regardless of what you would like to box other peoples comments into. The fact that you brought up Iraq and North Korea in your discussion makes them fair game for further discussion in this thread.

I have not denied that the Aids crises is a state of emergency. At the same time, would you like for me to spell out the number of people that would die from the detonation of a 1 megaton nuclear weapon on Tel Aviv or else where? Were talking millions of deaths in seconds and minutes depending on where the detonation takes place. How about a biological weapon such as Anthrax distributed effectively over a large metropolitian area. This is part of the threat you have to think about in dealing with Saddam, now, and in the future.

There are multiple crises that have to be faced whether its North Korea, Iraq, the Aids Crises, Poverty, the environment etc.

I have ever right to comment on your opinion that Iraq and Saddam are a small threat or not even a threat.

"BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ETC ETC ETC"

"CUT AND PASTE AD NASEAUM ETC ETC"

"EDIT (CUT OUT POTENTIALLY INSULTING COMMENT LOL)"

"it is a concerned comment on what I perceive to be an inability on your part to follow the thread properly and comment with any degree of relevancy"

"old tired little 'facts'" "please leave it alone."

"so if you plan on doing a silly cut and paste of your other arguments STING, just skip this thread"

This type of behavior as shown by the above quotes is uneccessary and does nothing to objectively express your viewpoints. It is potentially personally offensive to members of the forum. If this becomes a pattern, I will bring it to the attention of the moderators.

At Free Your Mind, it is fine to respectively disagree over topics. What is not proper though, are attempts to personally discredit other members of the forum in any way.

Dont worry you already have my attention.

gabriel had promised to behave this time.. remember gabriel? :tongue:

well taking a 2nd glance at this poll, i kinda like what i see.:)
50% of the folks view GW as a loveable clown.:)
30% are w GW or changing their views in a favorable way towards are lovely President:up:
and only 20% will never like him no matter what he does:huh:

Go dubya:dance:

DB9
:)

Last edited:
diamond said:
well taking a 2nd glance at this poll, i kinda like what i see.:)
50% of the folks view GW as a loveable clown.:)
30% are w GW or changing their views in a favorable way towards are lovely President:up:
and only 20% will never like him no matter what he does:huh:

Go dubya:dance:

DB9
:)

I don't think "lovable" was in my description when I voted for the clown option.

Sicy said:
Dont worry you already have my attention.

gabriel had promised to behave this time.. remember gabriel? :tongue:

With all due respect, I did not want my post merged with a discussion on Bush's Iraq policy.

I also specifically did not invite STING to rehash the same propaganda he has on virtually every other thread on FYM, effectively hijacking a discussion on the seriousness of the AIDS crisis by deflecting to Iraq. That in itself was disrespectful not only to me, the person who started the thread, but to the millions of AIDS victims that WILL die, as opposed to the number that MAY die in STINGS worse-case-scenario scaremongering statistics.

So if he finds my reaction offensive, so be it, he needs to develop a thicker skin. Name calling and name-munching are one thing, I did not go there. I simply pointed out his inability to follow the thread and respond with any relevancy, as alot of other members have in posts that they started.

EDIT: that being said I've had my little say so I'll go do something more productive now.

Last edited:
Gabrielvox,

This is not your forum or your thread. This is our forum and simply starting a thread does not give you control over and the right to block the views and words of the rest of the members of Free Your Mind. EVERYONE is free to respond to any thread as long as they do so in a respectful way. No member of Free Your Mind can be accused of hijacking a thread by responding to information that you posted to start with. You were the one who brought North Korea and Iraq into your main thread, not me.

It is offensive that you would accuse me of disrespecting millions of aids victims. I have stated that the aids crises is an emergancy and fully support funding to solve that crises. If Iraq and North Korea were not relevant to the discussion, you should not of written about them in your initial post. The fact that you did certainly makes them fair game for discussion.

It is not for me to decide whether your behavior is out of line. That is the job of the moderators. If I have done something wrong, I will certainly apologize for it and agree not to do it again, because reading and posting in Free Your Mind is a privilege. It is my understanding though that you have been warned about your behavior here before. I intend to keep the moderators informed if this continues. The moderators will decide what needs to be done if anything.

gabriel I dont see why you cant talk about bush in an already existing thread. The jist of the discussion is still about bush and his speech so if you dont want to talk about the iraq part of it then dont. We dont need 5 million threads about each part of bush's speech. No one says you have to reply to sting. If you dont like/agree with his posts then dont comment on them. I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. I dont need to explain my actions to anyone and I wont again.

STING2 said:
I intend to keep the moderators informed if this continues. The moderators will decide what needs to be done if anything.

Do not presume that you can lecture me like I'm your child STING.

You were disrespectful. I posted about N Korea and Iraq simply in the context of a comparison of sheer numbers of potential deaths due to an 'emergency' situation, and then specifically asked you and others not to derail the train of thought by going down the whole path of infinite details about Iraq.

You disrespectfully responded by reposting several paragraphs of the same pro-Bush rhetoric that you like to cram down every thread you can here on FYM. Notably absent in that original response was ANYTHING related to the AIDS crisis questions that I posed in the first place. That is disrespectful.

I called you no names in my response to you, I called you on your deliberate attempt to move the conversation away from the AIDS crisis and on the subject that you have made clear you love to talk about most, why we need to go to war against Iraq.

If you find that offensive, then you truly are not on this forum to free your OWN mind, but to continuously present only the pro-war propaganda whereever you can.

Ask yourself, why out of everyone else who responded, including some who hold similar views as yourself, were you the only one who chose to do that? Everyone else responded about the real issue, which was:

WHAT IS A FAR GREATER THREAT TO LIFE ON PLANET EARTH RIGHT HERE AND NOW and WHAT IS AT A STATE OF EMERGENCY.

When you are ready to add some discussion on that we will be able to have a respectful dialogue, I'm sure.

Sicy said:
gabriel I dont see why you cant talk about bush in an already existing thread. The jist of the discussion is still about bush and his speech so if you dont want to talk about the iraq part of it then dont. We dont need 5 million threads about each part of bush's speech. No one says you have to reply to sting. If you dont like/agree with his posts then dont comment on them. I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. I dont need to explain my actions to anyone and I wont again.

Noted, Sicy.

I will try to be more respectful when asking others to stick with the subject that I have invited responses on.

One of the reasons I was impressed with GWs speech on AIDS was that to my recollection he did not make one mention of the Iraq situation in that speech.

I thought that was commendable that he dedicated the entire speech to the emergency situation in Africa.

Gabrielvox,

Do not presume that you can muzzle and control what other people choose to comment on in any of your post, as long as it is respectfully done. The name of this place is Free Your Mind.

It is your opinion that I was disrespectful. If you really believe that was the case, a brief respectful warning and gaining the attention of the moderators would be the proper way of going about it instead of:

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ETC ETC ETC"

"CUT AND PASTE AD NASEAUM ETC ETC"

"EDIT (CUT OUT POTENTIALLY INSULTING COMMENT LOL)"

"it is a concerned comment on what I perceive to be an inability on your part to follow the thread properly and comment with any degree of relevancy"

"old tired little 'facts'" "please leave it alone."

"so if you plan on doing a silly cut and paste of your other arguments STING, just skip this thread"

I have not seen anyone post anything saying I have been disrespectful except yourself. If I am out of line though, then I expect to be corrected and told what is proper.

Sicy said,

"No one says you have to reply to sting. If you dont like/agree with his posts then dont comment on them. I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. I dont need to explain my actions to anyone and I wont again."

I am sorry if I have offended you. It was certainly not my intent in any way. I do not aim to hijack anyone's thread. I do reserve the right to respond to all or any part of it though, in a respectful manner, which is exactly what I did. To simply comment on a particular aspect of your post is not disrespectful. Free discussion is allowed here as long as it is respectful and does not personally attack or discredit anyone.

STING2 said:

Sicy said,

"No one says you have to reply to sting. If you dont like/agree with his posts then dont comment on them. I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. I dont need to explain my actions to anyone and I wont again."

:rolleyes:

I must have missed that the first time she said it.

:sigh:

I suppose I did sortof bait you with the original comment not to do a cut and paste of your previous arguments etc etc, for that I apologize.

Since we're asking one another to be considerate of one another, I would ask that you exercise a little more discretion with which posts of mine you feel the need to jump on. After all, I and everyone else here are quite aware of your preoccupation with Iraq, you've made it abundantly clear.

After all, if you find it hard to like/agree with my posts you don't necessarily need to comment on them, right? You could just as easily ignore them. :) :) :)

Gabrielvox,

I like your posts despite my political disagreements with them on certain issues. What I'm concerned about are comments that are unnecessary and personal in nature. The fact that I have opinions that are directly the opposite of yours and that I express them is not personal.

Despite this though I agree with you and will use better discretion when responding to your posts.

Kristie said:

I don't think "lovable" was in my description when I voted for the clown option.

Yeah, its strange, isn?t it? First polls have miserable options and no exact questions, and then - when you decide to be half nice for a change - they take your views out of context. Happens all the time. Its called propaganda.

Watch more TV.

Okay, this thread is beat.

Gabriel: *I* merged the thread, so don't start on Sicy. This forum has a number of mods due to its volatile nature, and in fact Sicy doesn't spend much time modding this forum. However, I merged the thread at the suggestion of several other mods, with their approval of the merge beforehand.

That said, the issue is officially a dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom