Bush's "Holy" War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
While I'm not a liberal, in fact, I like to see things from a spiritual perspective before a political one, there's something I find very wrong about this war that's really beginning to piss me off. I have to wonder why President Bush believes so strongly that this is Jesus' war, or when he makes any war-related references to God.

Is Bush a false prophet?

As someone who might lean right of center, it's a very hard question to ask, unless you really believe that spirituality should be more important than politics. This doesn't mean I'm against the war, this doesn't mean I'm for it. I'm very neutral, I see lies on both sides, and the truth about our peacemaking process has not been properly exposed. I don't know if we'll ever know the truth about how much peace we have made. Hopefully a lot has been done to improve the quality of life in Iraq.

Look what false prophecy has done to Northern Ireland! As a believer in God, I find it blasphemous for anyone to claim that their war is Jesus' war, or that freedom is God's gift to humanity, who teaches him this crap? He's got every right to believe in God, obviously, but I'm sure that many atheists and believers alike think this man is brainwashed.

If Bush would do one thing for me, I would ask him not to use God's name in vain, especially when he is defending his war. The only war Christians can be sure of that is Jesus' war is the War on Spirituality.

Please feel free to comment.

I'm with you. I really believed what John Kerry said something along the lines of we should not be claiming that God is on our side, but we should try to be on God's side. Very true.

U2democrat said:
I'm with you. I really believed what John Kerry said something along the lines of we should not be claiming that God is on our side, but we should try to be on God's side. Very true.

I loved that, I think it's very true.

I don't think people fool anyone when they say that God is with a certain candidate. I find it vain.

Macfistowannabe said:
I have to wonder why President Bush believes so strongly that this is Jesus' war, or when he makes any war-related references to God.

Which of Bush's statements lead to this conclusion?

I agree with U2democrat - we ought to be on God's side, not claim Him for our side (as if we really could).

I'm just not comfortable with him claiming that his vision is also God's vision, and as a man in his power claiming that (fill in the blank) is God's gift to humanity. I believe that eternity is God's gift to humanity, and I also feel that we should be very careful when we associate Jesus with politics.

The way to get on God's side is to realize that spirituality is more important than political views, I feel very safe making that statement. We can never be sure about every issue Jesus would approve of. We might like to, but The Bible is not a political referendum.

Think about the people in Northern Ireland who've suffered violence that was claimed in God's name (as Sunday Bloody Sunday's verse - "to claim the war that Jesus won...") If we can use that as an example as to why God's name should not be used so much in politics. So many people in that country have lost their faith because religious fanatics with their own agenda - Not God's agenda - make the claim that their violence is of God.

I just think the president should be careful when he talks about God. I think it throws a lot of people off when we claim that God is for Candidate X. I think it throws a lot of people off when we try to assume that Jesus would belong to a certain party. I personally feel that politics is mindmush to begin with, and both sides are too distant to work together. Why mix mindmush with God?

Believe it or not, I expected a conservative to reply to this. I'm not going to change my political leanings just because of this, but I would take politics to a height that they don't belong at if I wouldn't admit to any faults within my own party.

Last edited:
religion and politics to me is like mixing.....um.....i'm not good at chemistry but whatever 2 elements make a big explosion.

wow that sounded kind of dumb but oh well :huh:

Percy Saw Berty Catch My Alligator Zit Caroline Munching Strawberries Playing Golf.

That gives you the reactivity of metals, Percy = Potassium, Saw = Sodium etc. therefore if you were to take some elemental potassium and just stick it in some dihydrogen monoxide you would get some fun stuff.

Did you know that dihydrogen monoxide kills more people every year than any other chemical and yet you can buy it pretty much anywhere?

I think it's great if someone's spirituality has an influence over their political beliefs, I just don't think it's okay to claim everything in God's name. First of all, the world is watching your every move, some people already dislike you because of your political views, and you're a human being, so you're going to make a mistake somewhere down the road. We've seen way too many crimes of carelessness in God's name, which is where they don't belong in the first place.

Bush referred to this war as a 'crusade' early on. Did he really want people to remember the slaughter in God's name that were the Crusades when they thought about this war? The way Bush conjours up religious imagery scares me. Doesn't he believe the separation of Church and State applies to his administration?

najeena said:
Doesn't he believe the separation of Church and State applies to his administration?
Believe it or not, he does. If you watched the debates and press conferences, he reiterated time and time again that people are free to believe in what they want, or nothing at all. Separation of Church and State was intended so the government can't force people to be persecuted for their beliefs, like our founding fathers were back in England. The reinterpretation of it in modern society has gotten way out of line. They basically use it as a tool to kick God out of the country, when really it protects us from having a Middle East type of country where people are legally beaten and killed for not practicing the government-forced faith.

I agree with the rest of your post, I don't think Bush has been careful with his religious agenda, in a sense that he is claiming too much in God's name. In politics, people lie all the time, make bad mistakes, bury the truth, fight wars, and so on. To claim God's name on an imperfection is enough to throw people off. I think if he let it go, it would be a step closer towards uniting the country.

It made me so angry when people challenged my 'christianess' because I told them who I was voting for. God is above and beyond any of our capabilities....and to say one "knew" who God would vote for :down: As if you would understand a lick of it if God chose to sit you down and tell you the inner workings of the universe....

starsgoblue said:
It made me so angry when people challenged my 'christianess' because I told them who I was voting for.

I agree, I really hate it when people say God is a republican.

Here is a quote by Abraham Lincoln,

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right"

Honest Abe gets two thumbs up. :up: :up:

Personally, I don't think Jesus would vote at all, and associating him with any political party is very demeaning.

I definately don't think W is always right. Every presidency has had its share of mistakes.

W never said it was Jesus' war. I believe he said freedom was God's gift to humanity.

This parallels the declaration of Inependence " We are endowed by our creator unalienable rights: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" or something to that effect.

So pro or anti war, to criticize this statement alone is to criticize one of the central tenets of the USA.

Also, Jesus summed up his relationship to politics in one phrase, "give to Caesar what is Caesar's. He also said, My kingdom is not of this world.
So as far as politics, he left us down here to sort it out for ourselves.

"The Almighty God has blessed our land in many ways. He has given our people stout hearts and strong arms with which to strike mighty blows for freedom and truth. He has given our country a faith which has become the hope of all peoples in an anguished world. So we pray for Him now, for the vision to see our way clearly, to see the way that leads to a better life for ourselves and for all of our fellow men to the achievement of His will to peace on earth." FDR, 1945, 4th Inaugural address

Back
Top Bottom