Bush WH "holiday" cards angers Christians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:

if people have a hard time signifying that by calling december 25 "christmas", i think that's stupid. christmas is christmas. it's been that way for...well i guess 2005 years now?

But it's not just Dec 25th.

If it was, I'd have no problem.

It's the whole season from after Thanksgiving till New Years, which other religious holidays fall upon...

Seems like a no brainer to me.

But once again, if someone can't see that, please show me.

Can you imagine how pissed off some people would be if the White House sent out Happy Festivus cards? Now that would be cool!

indra said:
To say "It's Christmas, damn it" is only valid on Dec 25. :tongue:
Actually Chanukah, damn it, also starts on Dec. 25th this year. :wink:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
You could just walk around saying F.O.A.D.:wink:
th_santa.gif
+
th_menorah.gif
= :banghead:

th_FYS.gif
= :hug: :yes:

bah humbug!

I find it sad that this discussion remains fixated on the lowest common denominator of who does and doesn't have the right to feel "offended," rather than on what will make everyone feel most welcomed and included during one of the most celebratory and convivial times of the year for all.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :wave:

Don't you people get it? It's just like the great conservative, philosophical, tv anchor Steven Colbert of the Colbert Report reported, this is all just another example of secularists persecuting the Christian minority (all 80%) who celebrate Christmas.
Stop telling the good folks at the Christian Coalition to stop whining, they might just do that, and then they might try and stop the persecution of Christians in places like China - where Christians are sometimes killed.

Do we risk (for the sake of homogenization) becoming completely bland and colorless? Is that the price we pay?

Or is there a way to blend unique flavor with inclusiveness? I fear boredom almost more than I fear anything. (Selfish me)
Does inclusiveness have to be bland? Right now it is.

To raise one holiday above another is wrong. To pretend there is no difference is delusion. We're already suffering from the delusion of the religious right. I'm not up to any more delusions
(except of my own making).

indra said:
my point is there are more holidays in December than just Christmas. To say "It's Christmas, damn it" is only valid on Dec 25. :tongue:

Or January 7th for Eastern Orthodox Christians. Or January 18th for Armenian Christians. :wink:

Melon

BluRmGrl said:

This was my personal favorite. :eyebrow: Could someone PLEASE tell me when we became a country full of damn whiners??? :rant: :angry:

Probably around the time of the formation of the ACLU

yolland said:

bah humbug!

I find it sad that this discussion remains fixated on the lowest common denominator of who does and doesn't have the right to feel "offended," rather than on what will make everyone feel most welcomed and included during one of the most celebratory and convivial times of the year for all.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :wave:

:up:

you know, i thought about going down the list of people in this thread and individualizing a holiday greeting -- to NBC, i'd wish him a Merry Christmas, to Yolland a Happy Chanukah, to Ouizy a Merry Festivus, to Joyfulgirl a restful few days off and a trip to that delicious looking Japanese Spa in Santa Fe -- but i don't have time to do so.

therefore, in the spirit of inclusiveness and respect to ALL religions and non-religions and those who find their morality in secular humanist love and logic, Happy Holidays to everyone. everywhere.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96
i'll wish anyone a merry christmas if i want to, and if they don't celebrate it - too bad. they are now, cause i told them to.

I could give a shit about being PC. As I Christian, I do care about imitating Christ. The attitude you've expressed above is the opposite of that.

You know, as a Christian, I have no problem with the whole "holiday" thing. There are a bunch of holidays this time of year, Christmas is one of them, but it's not the only one. Honestly, if I were Jewish and I got something from the President of my country that just said Christmas, I'd feel left out. This shouldn't be an issue and it really urinates me off that other Christians are so pissed about it.

It's Christians that turned it into a whole materialistic holiday anyway.

coemgen said:
You know, as a Christian, I have no problem with the whole "holiday" thing. There are a bunch of holidays this time of year, Christmas is one of them, but it's not the only one. Honestly, if I were Jewish and I got something from the President of my country that just said Christmas, I'd feel left out. This shouldn't be an issue and it really urinates me off that other Christians are so pissed about it.

:up:

coemgen said:

I'm glad some people see it.:up:

coemgen said:
Honestly, if I were Jewish and I got something from the President of my country that just said Christmas, I'd feel left out. anyway.

this is why we have
"happy holidays"
and it is a good thing

this country has a bad history with anti-semitism

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

Just taking the statements you all shovel.... :|

:eyebrow: I haven't heard one person, not one, make such a statement.

How is it that some people still don't get the concept that there are other religious holidays in December?

I'm seriously baffled.

But after see the many questions being ignored in this thread, I'm not so baffled for it really comes down to, "what's good for me will be good for everyone else."

nbcrusader said:
Perfect - "Merry Christmas" = anti-semitism

Only in FYM :rolleyes:

Yeah this made no sense.

I do not think it is anti-semetic if the card said Merry Christmas, but I do think it would be irrational and illogical.

Then again - it is George W. Bush, so I would not put it past him...

nbcrusader said:
Perfect - "Merry Christmas" = anti-semitism

Only in FYM :rolleyes:

I don't believe

Red%20Cross.JPG

equals anti-semitism

but, I do understand why Israelis do not want it in Israel

it is a good thing that we now have the generic

Satellite

melon said:

Or January 7th for Eastern Orthodox Christians. Or January 18th for Armenian Christians. :wink:

Melon

Yeah, I thought of that a bit later, but since the person I was making the comment to and I had settled the issue (we're going to dance naked around the festivus pole chanting whatever the hell we feel like chanting :yes: ) I decided not to post it.

Plus, I'm lazy and didn't feel like checking the dates. :shrug: :D

ouizy said:
Don't you know that is the evil symbol of the Cubists?

they call it the Red Crystal

and I am sure some of my "Christian" brothers and sisters will see the "new age" connection

new age = satanic beliefs

Back
Top Bottom