Bush Speech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all of Interference collectively busted a nut when Bush mentioned AIDS. Hopefully all were wearing protection, as millions in Africa forgot to.

Fight On Bono's Angels.

Beefeater

Good speech in my opinion. He has started to try to convince people with actual examples of why Saddam is so dangerous, which is the only way he is going to get the people behind him.

The Africa deal sounds great. But remember he is proposing it and that never means it will get passed. I'll believe it when i see it.

All in all i thought he was great and really looked seriuos when talking about Iraq.

Oh by the way, i'm not from america, who are those 4 military men who were sitting front row? Are they the heads of the branchs? They were standing and clapping at one point and just starring straight ahead on others. Do they only respond to miltiary talk?

I was really glad to hear mention of Africa and the proposals that he wants to see happen for Africa. I bet Bono is really excited about what Bush had to say. I just hope that Bush and Congress will follow through.

bonoman said:

Oh by the way, i'm not from america, who are those 4 military men who were sitting front row? Are they the heads of the branchs? They were standing and clapping at one point and just starring straight ahead on others. Do they only respond to miltiary talk?

Those were regular enlisted men, probably uptight and uncomfortable being there.

Yes passing it is another thing. Watching hte post show, McCain more or less said that was a boon on compassions side against his hard line war. However, I did think he was sincere. It's almost karma-like that he- we should give back as he-we are about to enter a war. Bono played his had very well this time. Almost precognizant (?) again.

adamswildhoney said:
I was really glad to hear mention of Africa and the proposals that he wants to see happen for Africa. I bet Bono is really excited about what Bush had to say. I just hope that Bush and Congress will follow through.

I was really glad too! I think he used some of Bono's terms too, such as "historic", though I can't think of the exact phrase. I don't think that we need to worry about Bush, it wouldn't make sense for his proposals to be altered before going to Congress. The next step is for Congress to pass it.

ill definately give bush props for the 15 billion. whether or not it gets passed, at least hes pushing it. :up:

Scarletwine said:
Yes 15B over the next 5 years. 10B in new money. I so hope that this gets passed.

I thought it was $15 Billion over 10 yrs... :confused: :s

I was quite impressed with his Africa portion of the speech. He used the right mixture of drama, urgency, concern and compassion. While I don't agree with everything in the speech *ahem*IRAQ*ahem*, I must say it was an excellent delivery.

oh come on now, its just a ploy.
gw is hoping for a sexy kariokemusical career w Bono later u lameasses.

havnt u figuered it out yet?:sexywink:
thank u-
db3

Last edited:
diamond, i hope you see what i wrote. its only fair that you see me give your a guy a compliment when a compliment is due. :up:

I know you are all excited about the money, and I was too. My wife and I were cheering quite loudly. However............

When the president passed his education plan last year with the help of Senator Kennedy, new money was promised. The money was promised as part of his "No Child Left Behind Bill".

His office FROZE the money from being released. In my eight years of teaching I am looking at larger classes, teacher layoffs, not enough money for replacement text books, and I am buying more supplies for my class out of my own pocket than ever.

I am not saying it to whine. AS a matter of fact, I have never mentioned this before on this board. I am saying it to emphasize that RHETORIC does not = follow through.

The ANGELS (After sending letters thanking the President) need to be vigillant and continue to apply pressure until the money "REALLY" appears.

Peace

The JCS (the generals in the front row) along with the Supreme Court Justices, are forbidden to show politcal bias - therefore, any statements that could be perceived as leaning toward one party or the other, they would not clap or stand up. Those statements that are not partisan, or obviously have the support of both parties, they are free to demonstrate support for.

Mark

kariatari said:
I thought it was $15 Billion over 10 yrs... :confused::s

I believe it wsa $15 over 5 years.

Dreadsox said:

When the president passed his education plan last year with the help of Senator Kennedy, new money was promised. The money was promised as part of his "No Child Left Behind Bill".

His office FROZE the money from being released. In my eight years of teaching I am looking at larger classes, teacher layoffs, not enough money for replacement text books, and I am buying more supplies for my class out of my own pocket than ever.

dreadsox, I am interested in what this president has done to "improve" education. Do you have any links or sites I could read about this? I knew the money had been frozen but I didn't know the effects or details. Thanks!

it's 15 billion over 5 years 10 billion of which is ne money

it isn't quite where the number needs to be...and if we go to war with iraq I bet all bets are off becuae you can't have tax cut, war, and 15 billion in aid.

But I will say this...he's made a good start. He's mentioned it and told congress to take it seriously. ...He's started the trend int eh right way. And has gone a long way as to brining this issue upfront since it got the back burner after sept 11th.

I'll commend him for this..I'm very happy. I just hope everything goes well as far as this is concerned. At least he adressed the issue...and that's very good. let's just congress has the same resolve.

Dreadsox,

Gov. Locke brought that up in the Democratic response to the State of the Union adress. I thought he did an awesome job and regardless of your views presented a very clear and compassionate speech. I'd also love to read more details about the education funding.

I missed the bit about Africa, but that sounds very promising. I caught the Saddam Hussein section.

I thought the speech was very compelling and well delivered. If all of this is true, I would totally support clobbering Sadam & Co.

Why doesn't the speechwriter ever get to take a bow.....writers never get their due! ;)

One thing that really bugs me though is the way the ENTIRE house has to give a standing ovation after almost EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE. I mean come on! I'm all for applause for key points, and a huge standing o at the end, but this is just ridiculous. They look like a bunch of totally mindless robots, and we were all killing ourselves laughing. This workout couldn't have been good for all those old folks' knees! They should have just stood all the way through from the beginning like at a U2 show and saved themselves the effort!

As long as the following words are in a sentence: "United States of America" "Prevail", "Will not allow" and "our God given freedom" they salivate like Pavlov's dogs!

:laugh:

Scarletwine said:
Dreadsox,

Gov. Locke brought that up in the Democratic response to the State of the Union adress. I thought he did an awesome job and regardless of your views presented a very clear and compassionate speech. I'd also love to read more details about the education funding.

I thought his was an excellent speech also. Why all Americans aren't Democrats is puzzling to me.... ;) :p

Dreadsox said:

The ANGELS (After sending letters thanking the President) need to be vigillant and continue to apply pressure until the money "REALLY" appears.

Peace

You hear that Angels? CALL HIM CALL HIM CALL HIM! :) I'll try to have a congrats letter posted by tonight. Please don't forget to call! :angel:

And Dubya, sir, here's a hug from Sherry. :hug: You'd better mean it!

SD

Back
Top Bottom