Bush Job approval rating now at 44%

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm Ready said:

really? they sure don't teach that in school

I stand corrected then

Ironically - Lincoln was not well liked by the masses until 2 things happened: 1) The Civil War finally ended with a Northern victory and; 2) he was assassinated.

Brings to mind "death is a career move" being flashed on the Zoo TV screens.

I'm Ready said:

I'd say bad is below 50%

ok is 50%

good is 60%

regardless of how much support you need to become a president once you win everybody would support you if its evident your doing a good job. maybe bush has improved slightly in the second half of this year, but its still not good by any means

also AEON, your point about Lincoln being very unpopular is pretty much pointless because of the civil war causing the southern half of the country to vote against him

Well then by your standard, every President since World War II except Kennedy has had bad poll numbers at one time or another. Consider these low point Gallup poll numbers for these Presidents:

-Truman: 22% mid-February, 1952

-Eisenhower: 49% mid-July, 1960

-Kennedy: 56% mid-September, 1963

-Johnson: 35% early August, 1968

-Nixon: 24% mid-July, 1974, and early August, 1974

-Ford: 37% early January, 1975, and late March, 1975

-Carter: 28% late June, 1979

-Reagan: 35% late January, 1983

-George H.W. Bush: 29% late July, 1992

-Clinton: 37% early June, 1993

-George W. Bush: 31% early May, 2006

Also, The 1860 election happened prior to the Civil War. In the 1864 election, the southern states did not vote. Lincoln won the Northern States that year with 55% of the vote.

but Bush is famous for being so low, for so long, and well into his 2nd term where presidents like Reagan and Clinton settled into mid-50% ratings.

and please note that presidents who were anywhere near as low as Bush never got 2nd terms, and we have others in there who had to deal with little things like Watergate and Vietnam that contributed to their bottom ratings, which, as you've indicated, occurred at precisely the nadir of their presidency.

Bush will be remembered alongside Carter for popularity, and without 9-11, there would never have been a 2nd term

Irvine511 said:
but Bush is famous for being so low, for so long, and well into his 2nd term where presidents like Reagan and Clinton settled into mid-50% ratings.

and please note that presidents who were anywhere near as low as Bush never got 2nd terms, and we have others in there who had to deal with little things like Watergate and Vietnam that contributed to their bottom ratings, which, as you've indicated, occurred at precisely the nadir of their presidency.

Bush will be remembered alongside Carter for popularity, and without 9-11, there would never have been a 2nd term

thanks for saying what I was going to say:wink:

AEON said:

Ironically - Lincoln was not well liked by the masses until 2 things happened: 1) The Civil War finally ended with a Northern victory and; 2) he was assassinated.

Brings to mind "death is a career move" being flashed on the Zoo TV screens.

hmm thats interesting

Irvine511 said:

Bush won a 2nd election, something no Democratic President with the exception of Clinton has done since FDR. He is far from Carter's corner. The fact is, people will remember the elections and or ones decision not to run when they were able to. About as many people will remember Bush's low poll numbers as remember Truman and his 22% approval rating LATE in his term.

STING2 said:

Bush won a 2nd election, something no Democratic President with the exception of Clinton has done since FDR. He is far from Carter's corner. The fact is, people will remember the elections and or ones decision not to run when they were able to. About as many people will remember Bush's low poll numbers as remember Truman and his 22% approval rating LATE in his term.

well what were the reasons for Truman's 22%, and compare them to bushes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bush Job approval rating now at 44%

martha said:

The newspaper that praised the French government for blowing up a Greenpeace ship and killing a man.

Yeah, they're a left-wing rag. :up:

:yes:

Laugable indeed.

I'm Ready said:

well what were the reasons for Truman's 22%, and compare them to bushes

Truman forced MacArther to retire. The American public adored MacArthur.

Bush is low because people expected post-Saddam Iraq to be wll into the rebuilding process by now.

Bush, i call him a monster or devil hasn't won his 1st election at all! some dark powers in the US put him and his administration on the throne. i am sorry for all of you US americans who didn't vote for him and his disastrous hordes. for all the others i hope they learn by history. He is a liar a murderer and a dumbass.
The methods (propaganda) he apply remind me on the darkest age in our german history. US americans i deeply hope that you are able to save democracy and freedom in the future. I hope your nation can restore some lost faith and credibility after the dictatorship of fucking Bush.

AEON said:
Lincoln was VERY unpopular president. He won the election in 1860 with less than 40 % of the vote, and it weren't for some late summer Union victories in 1864 - he may not have been re-elected.

The point is this: a president should just do the best job he can, with the full measure of integrity and moral judgment, and forget the polls.
Clinton is a great example of a president who based his policies on public opinion. If he was the "moderate" we'd love to believe he was, he would not have unmasked his true colors by putting Ruth Bader Ginsberg - of the ACLU - on the Supreme Court. His poll-based policies are the only explanation as to why he "supported" the DOMA of 1996. Meanwhile, George Allen's contender - while I may disagree with him on issue after issue - actually advocates the principles he believes in. I say good for him, I wouldn't vote for him, but George Allen hasn't been on my good side for this recent year.

jacobus said:
Bush, i call him a monster or devil hasn't won his 1st election at all! some dark powers in the US put him and his administration on the throne. i am sorry for all of you US americans who didn't vote for him and his disastrous hordes. for all the others i hope they learn by history. He is a liar a murderer and a dumbass.
The methods (propaganda) he apply remind me on the darkest age in our german history. US americans i deeply hope that you are able to save democracy and freedom in the future. I hope your nation can restore some lost faith and credibility after the dictatorship of fucking Bush.
No facts, just bombthrowing.

Shame, shame, shame...

:eyebrow:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bush Job approval rating now at 44%

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:yes:

Laugable indeed.
There's reasons why I suggested "Left of Center" rather than Far Left.

I don't think that ignoring the polls has done anything for Bush, other than to make him look obtuse. He does what he wants, saying we elected him to do so. WRONG. The questions surrounding both of his 'wins' aside, we elected him to work for us, to listen to us, to work make our goals a reality. That he refuses to so is just one more black mark on an already dark record.

Anything concrete? Anything that we can't cherry-pick for what we believe?

I'm sitting on the fence and I'm a little skeptical of both parties...but I feel like I'm leaning more to the Democrat side than I do the Republican side...and my Republican friends are bashing me for the decisions I've made..
But I'm sorry, I don't believe the media, I can't say they are biased but I know they don't always report the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And so I never watch the news or read the newspapers.
I have both Repubs and Dems for friends and both sound ridiculous and both "cancel" each other out.

I find it fucking ridiculous, biased, and "cherry-picking" sites or whatever polls that fuel and back-up their argument.
I want concrete evidence, truth, and facts to see which side proves beneficial to the American people. And has proven that.

Is that too much to ask?

but 44% is brilliant! it's like the percentage of those who might have actually voted. it could be about 25% of the total population, though possibly up to maybe 30% of actual people in the US who support him. maybe as much as 35%.

AEON said:
Bush is low because people expected post-Saddam Iraq to be wll into the rebuilding process by now.

and why would people have expected it to be easy?

could it have been the whole "greeted as liberators/the oil will pay for it/it's gonna be a cakewalk" rah-rah bullshit spewed by the administration throughout 2002?

clearly, the administration thought it would have been easy as well, since it's not like they had a post-war plan to begin with.

let's all realize that the point of Iraq was to send a message -- we can invade your countries and topple your leaders quickly, and then leave just as quickly. the administration wanted to knock of Saddam, and then install Chalabi, and then leave in time for the 2004 election.

too bad reality doesn't work that way.

welcome to America's biggest mistake since Vietnam.

Macfistowannabe said:
No facts, just bombthrowing.

Shame, shame, shame...

did you mean this ironically? did you want to give us all an example of the pot calling the kettle black? of the "it takes one to know one" playground comeback?

i mean, honestly.

STING2 said:

but the reality of Bush's victory in 2004 was that he won with 50.7 percent of the popular vote to Kerry's 48.2 percent. you'd have to back to at least the early 1800s to find a president who has been re-elected by a closer margin and entered the office with a lower aprroval rating (49% in December of 2004, and he hasn't been that high since).

I thought Bush had the narrowest victory for an incumbent since 1916 when Woodrow Wilson squeaked through to win. He'd had a relatively easy run in 1912, when the Republican Party was split. The Republicans were united in 1916 and really gave Wilson a run for his money.

I defer to Diddy..

It's just embarassing the kind of ignorance in my man," said Diddy, who now refers to the commander-in-chief on a posse-level basis.

"It's like my man has no marbles up there ... My man is just running up there crazy and the things he's doing are crazy ... Ain't nobody feelin' that war."

[The Examiner's] Yeas & Nays asked Diddy if events since 2004 have made him want to update the "Vote or Die!" slogan he made famous during the last presidential campaign.

"Nope, it's still "Vote or Die!,'' said Diddy. "People didn't vote and people died."

MrsSpringsteen said:
I defer to Diddy..

It's just embarassing the kind of ignorance in my man," said Diddy, who now refers to the commander-in-chief on a posse-level basis.

"It's like my man has no marbles up there ... My man is just running up there crazy and the things he's doing are crazy ... Ain't nobody feelin' that war."

[The Examiner's] Yeas & Nays asked Diddy if events since 2004 have made him want to update the "Vote or Die!" slogan he made famous during the last presidential campaign.

"Nope, it's still "Vote or Die!,'' said Diddy. "People didn't vote and people died."

Good Ol Diddy - it really seems he has a grasp on the intricate web of international politics. He really should consider public office

I seriously cannot believe you are quoting Diddy.

Irvine511 said:

did you mean this ironically? did you want to give us all an example of the pot calling the kettle black? of the "it takes one to know one" playground comeback?

i mean, honestly.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK!!!

AEON said:

Good Ol Diddy - it really seems he has a grasp on the intricate web of international politics. He really should consider public office

I seriously cannot believe you are quoting Diddy.

Uh, it's just an attempt to inject a little humor into this place. No need to be insulting or to take everything so seriously. Actually what Diddy says and how he says it makes more sense than much of what is in FYM. Could we invite him to post here?

Last edited:
STING2 said:
In the latest Gallup Poll taken from September 15 through September 17, George Bush's approval rating is now 44%. This marks a steady increase over the past 4 months when in May his approval rating was at 31%.

The media was flooded nearly every day back then with reports of Bush's Job approval rating in the low 30s and how the President was indeed a "lame duck" based on the poll numbers. As with all polls, things may change, but right now, what many Democrats sited as evidence of Bush's severe weakness is not really there anymore. In fact, its possible that Bush's approval rating could be at nearly 50% by the November 7 mid-term elections, although Democrats will do everything in their power in between now and then to drag his growing approval rating numbers down. Also, his numbers may have peaked and may well go down again. But currently, this is unwelcome news for Democrats that used his poll numbers as evidence of his weakness and and a sign of their chances in November.

The real political situation in the country will be determined though on November 7.

An interesting note for the poll, Bush's approval among men is now at 48%, equal to his disaproval rating among men at 48%.

Its interesting to see that when Bush was in the low 30s, there was an article every day about his low poll numbers in the media. Now that Bush is at 44%, there not any mention of poll numbers.:wink:

http://www.galluppoll.com/

I find it humorous that you started this thread when you always denounce polls.

:shrug:

Re: Re: Bush Job approval rating now at 44%

phanan said:

I find it humorous that you started this thread when you always denounce polls.

:shrug:

public opinion polls on Iraq = bad
public opinion polls on Bush = bad, unless he's over 35%, then, good

Back
Top Bottom