Bush faints while choking on pretzel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheU2

Refugee
Per Cnn.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush fainted briefly in the White House residence Sunday after choking on a pretzel while watching a National Football League playoff game on television, White House physician Dr. Richard Tubb said.

The doctor, an Air Force colonel, said Bush quickly recovered and is doing well.

"I do not find any reason that this would happen again," said Tubb. "He fainted due to a temporary decrease in heart rate brought on by swallowing a pretzel."

Tubbs said Bush suffered an abrasion on his left cheek the size of a half dollar and a bruise on his lower lip, apparently from falling onto the floor from a couch.

Bush was alone in the room watching TV while his wife, first lady Laura Bush, was in a nearby room on the telephone.

Tubbs said Bush believes he was out only for a few seconds because when he awoke, his two dogs were sitting in the same position they were when he lost consciousness.

"He said it (the pretzel) didn't seem to go down right," Tubbs said.

The fainting spell occurred at approximately 5:35 p.m. EST and Bush contacted a nurse on duty at the White House five minutes later. Tubbs was paged eight minutes later and rushed to the White House to examine the president.

Tubbs said Bush, under his own power, took an elevator from the second floor of the residence to the first floor doctor's office where he underwent a through examination that included use of a heart monitor.

His blood pressure and pulse were normal, Tubbs said.

Bush has a lower-than-normal pulse rate, which doctors attribute to his rigorous workout regime. But Tubbs said that low heart rate made him more prone to fainting when the pretzel stimulated a nerve when it got caught in his throat.

He said Bush had complained Saturday and Sunday of "being a little off his game," feeling that he was coming down with a head cold.

White House spokesman Ari Fleisher said Bush intended to keep his regular schedule Monday, which includes an early morning trip to the Midwest.

Bush was watching the Baltimore-Miami game when the incident occurred.

CK

Ya Know, I knew this was coming.. I'm proly gonna go puke now, cuz I know all the jokes from Letterman, to SNL, are coming.. Oh well what can ya do.. at least he's doing ok.. Which is i guess why it's something to laugh at.. Gonz Chime in here, Let's hear your YamTastic Thoughts.

Anyways, my non inspirational and non funny remarks on this situation..

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-13-2002).]

Originally posted by TheU2:
Lemonite, are you a current student at Notre Dame?

CK
Yah, Dillon Hall.. a 'Dillonite' if you will like my homey southern priest refers to us, though you will never Find me Referring to myself in such a manner.. I prefer to go by the name of 'Douche Eliminater', or my Fabled 'Tweeter'...

Gettin' up early as fuck tomorrow to catch a flight into O HaIIIIR.

L. Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:

Yah, Dillon Hall.. a 'Dillonite' if you will like my homey southern priest refers to us, though you will never Find me Referring to myself in such a manner.. I prefer to go by the name of 'Douche Eliminater', or my Fabled 'Tweeter'...

Gettin' up early as fuck tomorrow to catch a flight into O HaIIIIR.

L. Unplugged

I'm probably the only male you know that lived in McGlinn...

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 01-13-2002).]

Originally posted by TheU2:

Tubbs said Bush believes he was out only for a few seconds because when he awoke, his two dogs were sitting in the same position they were when he lost consciousness.

Ahhh...the helpfulness of dogs. Gotta love 'em.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Aww, poor guy. I feel sorry for him.

capt.1011015316bush__health_wh101.jpg

[This message has been edited by Klodomir (edited 01-14-2002).]

Don't know about the local news in the rest of your areas, but my local disected this story.

I personally think Bush choked, things like this happen, he's human. End of story.

But the news made it seem like this was a rare occurance! They had some medical "expert" analysing the whole choking ordeal saying that Bush had been under the weather, and his swallowing a pretzel hit a nerve which caused him to choke. I mean, whaaaa? I've been under the weather many a time, and I've never choked because a nerve in my throat was irritated. My mother has extremely low blood pressure and is under a great amount of stress (well, may not as much as the President
wink.gif
) but come on. The news analysed this so much that it seemed like they were covering up a much more severe problem when it is very likely the President simply just choked.

I can understand this is a public interest story and people want to know what happened to the President and they want answers, but I feel the media has blown this incident out of proportion. It would be more believable if they had just said the president choked on a pretzel because his mouth was dry rather than the news hiring some medical "expert" explaining about irritated nerves in the throat set off a choking episode.

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 01-14-2002).]

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
Don't know about the local news in the rest of your areas, but my local disected this story.

I personally think Bush choked, things like this happen, he's human. End of story.

But the news made it seem like this was a rare occurance! They had some medical "expert" analysing the whole choking ordeal saying that Bush had been under the weather, and his swallowing a pretzel hit a nerve which caused him to choke. I mean, whaaaa? I've been under the weather many a time, and I've never choked because a nerve in my throat was irritated. My mother has extremely low blood pressure and is under a great amount of stress (well, may not as much as the President
wink.gif
) but come on. The news analysed this so much that it seemed like they were covering up a much more severe problem when it is very likely the President simply just choked.

I can understand this is a public interest story and people want to know what happened to the President and they want answers, but I feel the media has blown this incident out of proportion. It would be more believable if they had just said the president choked on a pretzel because his mouth was dry rather than the news hiring some medical "expert" explaining about irritated nerves in the throat set off a choking episode.

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 01-14-2002).]

That's nothing new about the media, Look closely and you'll see it happen about a lot of things in the news.

Especially if they tout LIVE DOPPLAR RaDAR as their Number one Asset.

L. Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:
That's nothing new about the media, Look closely and you'll see it happen about a lot of things in the news.

Especially if they tout LIVE DOPPLAR RaDAR as their Number one Asset.

L. Unplugged

Oh I know I know!
wink.gif
But this incident was small fries compared to the other events taking up news space.

A few things...

One of our media outlets debated leading off with this last night (we were in the middle of a getting three to six inches of snow - lots of accidents - good dopplar images too!)

They ended up leading with this, but I don't think they had a medical expert.

Often, a university or health/hospital agency has public relations people scanning the news. The PR people then offer local 'experts' (doctors, professors, etc.)on subjects as the news breaks to make their institution look better. So, it's not only the media feeding these silly little fires....

wow, it looks like he *is* just like his father. only his father spit his food out at someone else.
tongue.gif

------------------
you told me once a second chance was not worth waiting for, a million chances later you don't know how right you were...
ME!

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Im reminded of the whole Jenna bush drinking incidents... Do they have any clue just how much under-age drinking goes on in this continent? I mean come on...

The media did blow the Jenna/Barbara Bush drinking out of proportion, but then again those girls should have known that the spotlight was going to be on them and they should've toned it down. Just my take, I drank too when I shouldn't have been, but I didn't make a show of it. I didn't want to face the legal consequences of my actions so I never made a public display of my drinking. Nor did I want to put my parents through any grief should I have been caught in a legal battle caused by my drinking. They had enough to worry about, they didn't need me mucking things up. At least now Jenna and her sister are taking part in their school activities which include working to help aid the 9/11 victims' families. They still might party and if they got in trouble we'd hear about it, but I think they've toned it down. I think the tragedies of the terrorist actions as well as what their parents must be going through, has opened their eyes and put them in line.

Not to bring up any dirt from presidencies past, but about the media thing again. Chelsea Clinton got a lot of harrassment when Clinton took office. (this is not intended to start a democrat vs. republican debate - just making an observation) It was terrible what they media did to that girl, she was the butt of every late night talk show joke, the the butt of every editorial. Her offence? Being an awkward 'ugly duckling' 12 year old with braces.

Well, I'll give Dubya some credit. At least he didn't vomit all over the Japanese prime minister like his daddy did.

Joking aside, he's human. It's bound to happen, although I'm sure, like anything involving this presidency, the real story isn't the official story.

And the doctor analyzing the situation is quite hilarious when you think about it. I guess the war in Afghanistan is old news to them.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

begin the war against barvaria, germanian terrorists planted that pretzel i tell you!

geeeze... the guy is probably one of the most down to earth leader of any country right now, cut the guy some slack, everybody chokes on food now and again, just because he runs the US doesnt mean hes perfect. The media better just leave him be. Im reminded of the whole Jenna bush drinking incidents... Do they have any clue just how much under-age drinking goes on in this continent? I mean come on... People have to look in the mirror before they start ridiculing or even poking fun at ol dubya.

I don't believe the story. I think it's fabricated and that Laura bush slapped him silly and that's how he got the bruise.

Back
Top Bottom