Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162923,00.html

"She has stated that the Supreme Court, 'has clearly held that the right to privacy guaranteed by the Constitution includes the right to have an abortion' and that 'the law is settled in that regard.'"

So much for all the alarmist liberal hand wringing regarding Bush's pick endangering reproductive rights.

MaxFisher said:
So much for all the alarmist liberal hand wringing regarding Bush's pick endangering reproductive rights.

he's saving that for when Rhenquist dies. maybe.

from what little i've been reading about her this morning, she doesn't have much to say about any hot button issues, making it impossible for the Dems to put up much of a fight. the Religious Right, however, will probably feel betrayed as, once again, they've supported someone who isn't actually going to do what it is they really want (overturn Roe v Wade, for starters).

it also gets Rove (and whispers of Ari Fleischer as Judy Miller's source) off the front page, which is why the process was sped up so much.

It has been officially announced that Bush will announce his Supreme Court nominee at 9:00 pm EST.

I hope a moderate conservative like Edith Clement is really his choice. The abortion issue isn't even on top of the list with me. My problem always seems to be that "pro-life" seems to be synonymous with "raving irrational bigot" and those judges act that way accordingly on all the issues.

I've always wondered why that is.

Melon

Re: Re: Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

Irvine511 said:

It would be virtually useless for him to nominate a prolifer when Rhenquist dies if he nominates a prochoicer to replace O-Conner. I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm just saying it would be useless.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Clement. She seems pretty moderate from the little I've read so far. I'll have to look into her further.

Re: Re: Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

Irvine511 said:

yeah, but he's pro-life anyway, so it won't really change much.

from that little quote it seems like, if she's nominated, our reproductive rights won't be in any immediate danger.

Re: Re: Re: Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

VertigoGal said:

yeah, but he's pro-life anyway, so it won't really change much.

probably not, but it will provide him an opportunity to throw red meat to some of his base without causing a total culture war.

i also think he's going to elevate Scalia to Chief Justice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

Irvine511 said:

i have heard that the cheif has a lot of power

is this true?

how much?

how can it be used ?

anybody? nbc :wink;

Irvine511 said:

probably not, but it will provide him an opportunity to throw red meat to some of his base without causing a total culture war.

yeah that sounds about right.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

deep said:

i have heard that the cheif has a lot of power

is this true?

how much?

how can it be used ?

anybody? nbc :wink;

From Wikipedia:

The Chief Justice is often responsible for serving as chair during private supreme court deliberations, and often is first to voice his opinion. However, most Supreme Courts are non-hierarchial, meaning the Chief Justice does not necessarily have any direct power of control over the actions of the other judges. His personal ruling is equal in weight to the rulings of any associate judges on the court.

In addition to the duties of the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice of the United States has the following duties:

If the Chief Justice is in the majority on a Supreme Court case, he or she may decide to write the Opinion of the Court, or may assign it to an associate justice of his or her choice.
Presides when the Senate tries impeachments of the President of the United States
Two Chief Justices, Salmon P. Chase and William Rehnquist, have had the duty of presiding over Presidential impeachments and trials--Chase in 1868 over the proceedings of President Andrew Johnson and Rehnquist in 1999 over the proceeding against Bill Clinton.
Presides over the impeachment trial of the Vice President if the Vice President is serving as Acting President (not a Constitutional responsibility but a rule of the Senate).
Officiates at the inauguration of the President of the United States. This is a traditional, not a constitutional, responsibility of the Chief Justice. All federal and state judges, as well as notaries public, are empowered by law to administer oaths and affirmations.
Serves as the Chancellor of the Smithsonian Institution.
Serves as the head of the Judicial Conference of the United States, the chief administrative body of the U.S. federal courts. The Judicial Conference is empowered by the Rules Enabling Act to promulgate rules to ensure the smooth operation of the federal courts. Major portions of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Evidence have been adopted by most state legislatures and are considered canonical by American law schools.

Irvine511 said:

If he chooses a prochoicer this time, I would say that a large part, if not majority, of his base will no longer be "his base".

I'm hearing it won't be Clement....it will be someone much more on the right...Edith Jones, not Edith Clement.

Last edited:
financeguy said:
I'm hearing it won't be Clement....it will be someone much more on the right...Edith Jones, not Edith Clement.

I hope you're right, but I have fears...

I doubt it. The sources coming out for Clement are pretty reliable, right down to her clerk refusing to comment on her whereabouts or her activities.

CNN says their "informed sources" have told them it won't be Edith Clement. They haven't commented on who else it might be.

Melon

I just saw that myself, actually.

It seems, though, that Bush would be politically foolish not to pick her. Insiders have predicted a quick, easy confirmation for Clement, which would probably be good for his popularity and smooth over some of the Rove rockiness.

So why pick a firebrand, if the intent is to get him back in good standing?

pax said:

It seems, though, that Bush would be politically foolish not to pick her. Insiders have predicted a quick, easy confirmation for Clement, which would probably be good for his popularity and smooth over some of the Rove rockiness.

Bear in mind that a right winger will lead to complaints from the Dems, a protracted hearing process (like with Clarence Thomas) and hence distract attention from the Rove rockiness! :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bush expected to pick Edith Clement

80sU2isBest said:

If he chooses a prochoicer this time, I would say that a large part, if not majority, of his base will no longer be "his base".

I wouldn't say majority, but yes a lot.

I know it's all speculation right now, but if he did choose someone that isn't a hard line pro-lifer, then it just confirms the suspicions I've had all along which is that Bush really has no intention of doing anything about abortion never really did, but used it to gain votes.

pax said:

So why pick a firebrand, if the intent is to get him back in good standing?

I think it would be politically foolish to pick someone that the majority of the people who voted you into office would not want.

Like fg said, he can't win. Either way, he's going to get it from a large group of people.

how uncommon is it for a president to make a primetime press conference announcement? anybody know? it feels so weird to me somehow, so political and unpresidential, but I don't know why...
I'm feeling like there's no way he'd go with a moderate conservative...he's not running for re-election, I don't see why he'd piss off his right-wingers and thusly take away from their willingness to keep him in their good graces once he's done with his current office. Hope I'm wrong...

cheers!

This choice might not be so bad. Clements seems to be something of a moderate rather than the hard-core right winger I've been expecting.

Back
Top Bottom