Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

What if people had this attitude towards your callousedheart thread?

Just said, oh well, what's done is done, that's your life, no reason to change...

well, i am just writing my feelings on paper. hahaha, did you read it?

and i am not saying forget it. but just let it play out. our emotions are very strong right now, and that is never healthy when making decisions. give it a day or two, let things cool out and the facts trickle out, then we can start this argument again.

did you guys ever have the 48 hour cool off period after tests where you could not discuss the results w/ your teacher? well, everyone is so emotionally attached to this, that it is overwhelming our society.

if you don't want to discuss it you are free to move on to another thread. some of us here give a shit. let us discuss without you derailing it by saying we're "emotional" and that our decisions are invalid.

sidenote: bush commuted Libby's sentence on Monday. Today is Wednesday. 2 days?

unico said:
if you don't want to discuss it you are free to move on to another thread. some of us here give a shit. let us discuss without you derailing it by saying we're "emotional" and that our decisions are invalid.

never did i say that. i respect all of your advice. i will move on and start my palestinian liberation thread. best of luck, and look forward to you commenting in that thread possibly.

struckpx said:

and i am not saying forget it. but just let it play out. our emotions are very strong right now, and that is never healthy when making decisions. give it a day or two, let things cool out and the facts trickle out, then we can start this argument again.

did you guys ever have the 48 hour cool off period after tests where you could not discuss the results w/ your teacher? well, everyone is so emotionally attached to this, that it is overwhelming our society.

It's been 53 hours since apparently it's time to keep score on that.

Is that really all you have though? "You're overreacting cause it's only been 2 days." That's a terrible rebuttal of our posts.

phillyfan26 said:

It's been 56 hours since apparently it's time to keep score on that.

Is that really all you have though? "You're overreacting cause it's only been 2 days." That's a terrible rebuttal of our posts.

no, i have made excellent rebuttals. but i am done debating it for it is not worth my time.

struckpx said:

I did, you are young, things are confusing then. But change can be great, you'll find those feelings will come in and out of your life throughout...

struckpx said:

What is there to play out? What facts aren't out?

Writing anyone off as "emotional" isn't productive at all.

struckpx said:

no, i have made excellent rebuttals. but i am done debating it for it is not worth my time.

I beg to differ:

struckpx said:
what's done is done.

let's move on to something more meaningful.

but farewell anyhow.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well that's your opinion, and a pretty arrogant one at that, but there are many in here and out in the rest of the world that don't agree at all.

as of course there would be. agreed?

there are also many that would be in support. agreed?

Edit: this forum maybe not, but out in the rest of the world.

struckpx said:

as of course there would be. agreed?

there are also many that would be in support. agreed?

They may support your view, but few would argue that you made "excellent rebuttals".

struckpx said:

I'm guessing that's a partisan remark. This really isn't a partisan issue, it's ashame so many made it that way with using Clinton as a rebuttal point, but this has nothing to do with party lines. It has to do with accountability and how this administration is making it their legacy that they don't believe in accountability. The war, torture, etc it's all about denying accountability with this administration.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm guessing that's a partisan remark. This really isn't a partisan issue, it's ashame so many made it that way with using Clinton as a rebuttal point, but this has nothing to do with party lines. It has to do with accountability and how this administration is making it their legacy that they don't believe in accountability. The war, torture, etc it's all about denying accountability with this administration.

while it doesn't directly, everything is politically motivated. that is what is so bad about that city. no matter what party you are, when you go there you become so corrupt, b/c you have to please the different lobbying groups, financial backers and your constituents.

regarding libby, i already stated my position so i won't go into that. but the clinton reiterates the fact that presidents use it. it's not a new thing.

diamond said:

Unless you are 5X as disgusted with Clinton's conduct, and I don't think you are- than that would make you a hypocrite.

dbs
Well, if you look at the crimes Clinton has pardoned people for, it does make a difference. I didn't look at the whole list and I DO think Clinton was/is corrupt, but one of them was the distribution of marajuana, and that's no biggie -- even though I hate marajuana and never wanna smell that crap.

Clinton's a bastard. He paved the way for what Bush is doing by emphasizing the threat of Saddam Hussein in the minds of the American people to look tough, only so the Bush administration could exploit that after 9/11.

According to Scott Ritter, he also allowed the CIA to infiltrate the UN weapons inspections regime -- in violation of agreements between the UN and Saddam's regime -- which prompted Saddam kicking out the inspectors on the late 90s.

Clinton also signed into law the extradition legislation allowing people in the US to be deported to their "countries of origin" to be tortured.

A Frontline program in 1998/1999 showed how Clinton allowed Jack Abramoff to swindle a native American tribe of the money they paid to get access to the administration in the form of diners, but also -- most importantly -- their land by claiming rights to the oil they wished to dig up.

Clinton is loved by the black community, but his support was mostly in the form of lip service. Legislatively, he hurt the black community by signing Welfare reform in 1996 to win the election and by signing conservative laws like "3 strikes and you're out".

Bush is so much worse than Clinton and his cronies have gotten away with so much destruction and murder and all kinds of violations far more serious than Whitewater, so Bush is far, far more corrupt, but Clinton really let the American people and the world down because he's a disgusting hypocrite who understands so much more about the nuances of the world and human nature, and he still let people down. It cannot be forgotten how the American people let him do that, as they look forward to future presidents.

If anyone has an issue with a Clinton pardon why not start a thread about it...we can discuss & debate that there. Since this is a thread about BUSH COMMUTING Libby's sentence I don't really see where Clinton & pardons are relevant.

Oh and why didn't GWB commute Lil' Kim's sentence? Kanye West was right.

I know this administration tends to think they are above the law. However what do you all think could be the next step in this matter? What can Congress do in response?

I mean, this is bigger than just outing an agent, this traces way back to the coverup of the administration's true intentions of invading iraq, and the false information they have been feeding the public.

If I were the spouse of any government agent at this point, I'd be afraid to even step outside of my home and watch everything I say. It is almost as though this administration is using this as a warning to everybody and getting them to keep their mouths shut if they try to call the administration out on some of the crap they do. I think it is very interesting that in this entire case, the only person who has served jail time was a journalist.

I think what bush did here was totally disgusting. While his and my ideology are similar and have supported him in the past and will continue to do so on things like Iraq; this is OJ and Paris all over again. I'm so tired of a different brand of justice for the rich and/or famous.

Lila64 said:

"As Independence Day nears, we're reminded that one of the principles our forefathers fought for was equal justice under the law. This commutation completely tramples on that principle," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said through a spokesman.

However, I would like to ask you all to read this comment from the pious Mr. Schumer here with his concerns over equal justice. Bill Clinton perjured himself over his gal pal Monica Lewinsky (and admitted on national television to doing so), yet never spent a day in jail as each and every one of us would have.

So as we're in the midst of our horrific outtrage, we shall in the spirit of equal justice, (as that is what we're concerned most about here right?) mention Slick Willy's escapades under oath in equally riteous anger, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence

Snowlock said:
I think what bush did here was totally disgusting. While his and my ideology are similar and have supported him in the past and will continue to do so on things like Iraq; this is OJ and Paris all over again. I'm so tired of a different brand of justice for the rich and/or famous.

However, I would like to ask you all to read this comment from the pious Mr. Schumer here with his concerns over equal justice. Bill Clinton perjured himself over his gal pal Monica Lewinsky, yet never spent a day in jail as each and every one of us would have.

So as we're in the midst of our horrific outtrage, will shall in the spirit of equal justice, (as that is what we're concerned most about here right?) mention Slick Willy's escapades under oath, I'm sure.

equal justice is an issue here. but to me what is the most alarming is the lengths this administration will go to coverup their corrupt actions. like i said, this goes back to the iraq war. wilson wrote an article asking the administration to hold itself accountable. in response they outed his wife, and not only endangered the family's lives but threatened our national security.

i am (perhaps naively) hoping that the other branches of government will move forward in holding this administration accountable for their actions. this is a scandal of a grand magnitude.

Last edited:
A reminder to everyone that Bill Clinton has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

A few reminders also:

1. This is a commute, not a pardon.

2. The main issue people have with this is the clear cover-up.

3. This is a commute, not a pardon.

4. It was described as "unprecedented" to commute someone before serving any jailtime.

5. Clinton has nothing to do with this.

phillyfan26 said:
A reminder to everyone that Bill Clinton has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

A few reminders also:

1. This is a commute, not a pardon.

2. The main issue people have with this is the clear cover-up.

3. This is a commute, not a pardon.

4. It was described as "unprecedented" to commute someone before serving any jailtime.

5. Clinton has nothing to do with this.

you might wanna post that on every page for all our friends who like to jump in without reading the first page.

diamond said:

:hmm:

Bush *63 pardons
Clinton *310 pardons.

But we know who is more corrupt, riiiiigt..:yes:
only in FYM.:eyeroll:

dbs

*rough count

Please see http://www.usdoj.gov/pardon/actions_administration.htm

Sure, if you look at just the raw numbers, of course Clinton granted more pardons.

However, if you look a bit deeper, and compare the volume of requests for pardons or clemency and the percentage of pardons granted (which is a far more accurate way to compare the presidents), Clinton and Bush aren’t all that far apart. Regan’s percentage is nearly double that of Clinton’s!

Ronald Regan
Petitions Received:
Pardon 2099
Clemency 1305
TOTAL 3404

Petitions Granted
Pardon 393
Clemency 13
Remission of Fine 0
TOTAL 406

Petitions Denied
Pardon 969
Clemency 318
TOTAL 1287

Petitions Closed Without Action
Pardon 612
Clemency 905
Total 1517

Percentage of Petitions Granted: 11.93%

George HW Bush
Petitions Received:
Pardon 731
Clemency 735
TOTAL 1466

Petitions Granted
Pardon 74
Clemency 3
Remission of Fine 0
TOTAL 77

Petitions Denied
Pardon 676
Clemency 429
TOTAL 1105

Pardon 220
Clemency 296
Total 516

Percentage of Petitions Granted: 5.25%

Bill Clinton
Petitions Received:
Pardon 2001
Clemency 5488
TOTAL 7489

Petitions Granted
Pardon 396
Clemency 61
Remission of Fine 2
TOTAL

Petitions Denied
Pardon 655
Clemency 2387
TOTAL 3042

Pardon 353
Clemency 1159
Total 1512

Percentage of Petitions Granted 6.13%

Last edited:
unico said:

you might wanna post that on every page for all our friends who like to jump in without reading the first page.

Arrogance. I quoted directly from the first page. Just because I don't want to slog through 18 pages of nonsense doesn't mean that I don't know what's going on.

The issue is equal justice. The fact that Bush helped out a lackey, that isn't the issue. That's been going on since probably the first day of the formation of the first government in the history of man kind.

The coverup isn't the issue either. That's been resolved via the trial and verdict.

The issue IS equal justice. This was a miscarriage of justice and it's damn maddening. I don't care at this point what Rove did, he was convicted of breaking the law and sentenced, and to get out of it, he should have to go through due process just like everyone else.

But you're all too tied up on the Daily Show and the Colbert Report to be the least bit objective about it. And the mere fact that you refuse to even acknowledge the fact that Clinton did the same if not worse just shows that you don't give a shit about the issue; you're just bitching about ideology. Bringing up Clinton turns the bulk of you into hypocrits and derails your hard on for Bush (ha). This is important stuff, and you're (general you're) giving it the same weight as the Rosie O'Donnel/Trump feud on the view. If you were all the least bit objective, and cared most about the true issue, which is equal justice, then you wouldn't be so fucking WORRIED about Clinton being brought up.

Snowlock said:

Arrogance. I quoted directly from the first page. Just because I don't want to slog through 18 pages of nonsense doesn't mean that I don't know what's going on.

The issue is equal justice. The fact that Bush helped out a lackey, that isn't the issue. That's been going on since probably the first day of the formation of the first government in the history of man kind.

The coverup isn't the issue either. That's been resolved via the trial and verdict.

The issue IS equal justice. This was a miscarriage of justice and it's damn maddening. I don't care at this point what Rove did, he was convicted of breaking the law and sentenced, and to get out of it, he should have to go through due process just like everyone else.

But you're all too tied up on the Daily Show and the Colbert Report to be the least bit objective about it. And the mere fact that you refuse to even acknowledge the fact that Clinton did the same if not worse just shows that you don't give a shit about the issue; you're just bitching about ideology. Bringing up Clinton turns the bulk of you into hypocrits and derails your hard on for Bush (ha). This is important stuff, and you're (general you're) giving it the same weight as the Rosie O'Donnel/Trump feud on the view. If you were all the least bit objective, and cared most about the true issue, which is equal justice, then you wouldn't be so fucking WORRIED about Clinton being brought up.

Kaching.
Kaching.

Best post in the thread, altho we could lose the swearing.

dbs

Snowlock said:
Just because I don't want to slog through 18 pages of nonsense doesn't mean that I don't know what's going on.

:banghead:

THE ISSUE IS THE COVER-UP.

Because of the commute, Scooter doesn't talk, so no one above him has to endure any penalty from the leak.

Back
Top Bottom