Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the L.A. Times today

Libby's sentence not unusually long

Though Bush calls the 30-month prison term 'excessive,' records show defendants convicted of similar crimes served jail time.
By Richard B. Schmitt and David G. Savage, Times Staff Writers
July 4, 2007

WASHINGTON — In commuting the sentence of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, President Bush said that the former vice presidential aide had suffered enough and that the 30-month prison term ordered up by a federal judge was "excessive."

But records show that the Justice Department under the Bush administration frequently has sought sentences that are as long, or longer, in cases similar to Libby's. Three-fourths of the 198 defendants sentenced in federal court last year for obstruction of justice — one of four crimes Libby was found guilty of in March — got some prison time. According to federal data, the average sentence defendants received for that charge alone was 70 months.

Just last week, the Supreme Court upheld a 33-month prison sentence for a decorated Army veteran who was convicted of lying to a federal agent about buying a machine gun. The veteran had a record of public service — fighting in Vietnam and the Gulf War — and no criminal record. But Justice Department lawyers argued his prison term should stand because it fit within the federal sentencing guidelines.

That Bush chose to make an exception for a political ally is galling to many career Justice Department prosecutors and other legal experts. Federal prosecutors said Tuesday the action would make it harder for them to persuade judges to deliver appropriate sentences.

The critics included some Republicans who said Bush's decision did not square with an administration that had been ardently pro law-and-order. "It denigrates the significance of perjury prosecutions," John S. Martin Jr., a former U.S. attorney and federal judge in New York, said of the commutation.

On Tuesday, Bush, speaking to reporters after visiting with wounded military personnel at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, refused to rule out the possibility that he might later grant Libby a full pardon. That would wipe out the felony conviction and allow Libby to retain his law license.

"As to the future, I rule nothing in or nothing out," Bush said — his first public comments on the case since announcing the commutation late Monday.

Sentencing experts said Bush's action appeared to be without recent precedent. They could not recall another case in which someone sentenced to prison had received a presidential commutation without having served any part of that sentence. Presidents have customarily commuted sentences only when someone has served substantial time.

"We can't find any cases, certainly in the last half century, where the president commuted a sentence before it had even started to be served," said Margaret Colgate Love, a former pardon attorney at the Justice Department. "This is really, really unusual."

Said Ellen S. Podgor, a professor at Stetson University law school: "This is a classic case of executive activism as opposed to judicial activism."

rest of article: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...ul04,1,6272299.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok, even with the rest of the comment there, what does that mean?

that we are making a big deal over are a commutal, yet he is trying to pardon 12 million people and that is not garnering anyone's attention?

struckpx said:

that we are making a big deal over are a commutal, yet he is trying to pardon 12 million people and that is not garnering anyone's attention?

Because they're hypocrites?

dbs

struckpx said:

I don't think there are small things when it comes to right and wrong.

Ok, I'll bite, what 12 million are you talking about?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Ok, I'll bite, what 12 million are you talking about?

If I had to venture a guess, he's referring to 12 million illegal immigrants regarding "immigration reform."

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Sure one's perjury and the other is someone who want to provide better for their children.:|

its the bigger idea. lets get off the personal attacks. clinton used his commuter privileges 4 or 5 times.

struckpx said:

roll your eyes, but a great argument none the less

??

The one is a political cover-up, the over one is an economical issue with no crime included.

Pardoning X, and commuting the sentence of Y is not the same, was not the same and never will be the same. Doesn't matter what figure you put before.

Vincent Vega said:

??

The one is a political cover-up, the over one is an economical issue with no crime included.

Pardoning X, and commuting the sentence of Y is not the same, was not the same and never will be the same. Doesn't matter what figure you put before.

it is illegal to come to our country w/out a visa

U2democrat said:
I'm too lazy to search through the pages of the thread...but did anyone catch Keith Olbermann's Special Comment last night? Very good.

is this the one? Listening to it now

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/070407Y.shtml

ETA: ^brilliant. And well said. The transcript of that speech is listed on that page below the You Tube link :up:

Last edited:
struckpx said:

it is illegal to come to our country w/out a visa

Is that anywhere close to perjury and obstraction as a high-ranking state official in the case of exposure of a CIA agent?

You are comparing apples to oranges, just as diamond did before.

Vincent Vega said:

Is that anywhere close to perjury and obstraction as a high-ranking state official in the case of exposure of a CIA agent?

You are comparing apples to oranges, just as diamond did before.

12,000,000>1

A jury found Libby guilty. He was sentenced, and served no time. The president chose to commute the sentence. As in he is above the law. Plain and simple. Leave the immigration topic out of this. Leave pardons out of this (though usually someone actually serves time before being pardoned, or so I thought). Leave other presidents out of this. Leave bipartisanship out of this.

:|

struckpx said:

12,000,000>1

Illegal immigration is and stays a whole other story.
You can't compare two cases that are so different and it doesn't matter how many people are involved.
You don't compare 12 million apples to one orange.

Oh, and thank you, I was about to forget how 12 million looks like. :roll:eyes

why are we debating this? everyone knows what i am referring to. the illegal immigrants that have snuck across the border and are here w/out any papers. i am not debating that.

plus, let us not forget that libby is still being punished. he pretty much will serve his time outside of jail, losing his law license, having to pay a large sum, and what respectable company will ever hire him?

Vincent Vega said:

Illegal immigration is and stays a whole other story.
You can't compare two cases that are so different and it doesn't matter how many people are involved.
You don't compare 12 million apples to one orange.

they are similar. all are getting off the hook

struckpx said:

they are similar. all are getting off the hook

As far as I was aware, the US congress rejected the Bill, so as of right now, who is getting off the hook, exactly?

struckpx said:
why are we debating this? everyone knows what i am referring to. the illegal immigrants that have snuck across the border and are here w/out any papers. i am not debating that.

Not the issue, start another thread if you want to discuss this.
struckpx said:

plus, let us not forget that libby is still being punished. he pretty much will serve his time outside of jail, losing his law license, having to pay a large sum, and what respectable company will ever hire him?
That wasn't his sentence, and not the point.

struckpx said:

You brought it up and now we are guilty of discussing illegal immigration?

But basically you are right, this is not the place to discuss it. It's not the same.
First, it's a law in the process of passing.
Second, crimes are not comparable. Every single crime is to be decided upon on its own.
And third, the intention behind pardoning the illegal immigrants and commuting Libby's sentence is totally different.
The damage done to your (e.g. the last bit of reputation) administration is different.

There is no connection to anything any other President did before, neither to what is being decided about any other crimes, laws to be decided or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom