Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MadelynIris said:
Right, we can't trust a site like newsbusters. They are hilarious.

They fight a "liberal media" by stacking conservative bias. It's funny, every editorial, starts with a statement bashing liberals. Yet it claims in it's mission statement that it exposes and neutralizes liberal bias. There's nothing netrualizing about that website. Sorry I even brought it up, if you want to discuss it more start another thread.

MadelynIris said:
on a side note, can anyone tell me why my images aren't working?
Because you've got both the IMG and URL brackets in there. It needs to be one or the other. If you just want to post a link to a picture on some other site, use URL brackets only. If you want to post a picture in here, save the photo, upload it to ImageShack or your Interference gallery or whatever you use, then enclose the resulting url in IMG brackets only.

MadelynIris said:
They didn't order the leak. One Sunday morning, an op-ed appears in the paper from a former diplomat.

i saw this. i'm not ignoring you. ill be away from the computer tonight and perhaps tomorrow. but i will respond to this when i can.

there's a bigger picture. there's a reason why libby lied.

This is a notoriously "tough on crime" judge which...George Bush appointed. So you appoint a judge to the bench due to his credentials of precisely this: issuing out sentences which are tough, while being fully within his discretion.

The justice system does not work to deal with everyone in the same way. You and I could commit the same offence, be tried for the same offence and have different judges impose different sentences, where there is a min/max guideline. This is what this judge did. And he was appointed for that reason, which is what makes this all the more hilarious.

So now people whine because the sentence was for 6 months longer than the median. Clearly the response to that is to erase the sentence entirely.

anitram said:
This is a notoriously "tough on crime" judge which...George Bush appointed. So you appoint a judge to the bench due to his credentials of precisely this: issuing out sentences which are tough, while being fully within his discretion.

The justice system does not work to deal with everyone in the same way. You and I could commit the same offence, be tried for the same offence and have different judges impose different sentences, where there is a min/max guideline. This is what this judge did. And he was appointed for that reason, which is what makes this all the more hilarious.

So now people whine because the sentence was for 6 months longer than the medium.

:shh: Facts don't go over too well in this thread.

anitram said:

Clearly the response to that is to erase the sentence entirely.
:lol:

Full or nothing.

Bush finding a sentence excessive... clearly some unique event.

legal technicality may wipe away Libby's probation, too

Bush eliminated Libby's 2½-year prison term and left in place his two years of supervised release. But supervised release – a form of probation – is only available to people who have served prison time. Without prison, it's unclear what happens next.

U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton posed the question to Libby's attorneys and to Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald: Does this mean Libby won't actually be required to serve supervised release? Should he just have to report to probation officials as if he spent time in prison?

The law, Walton said in court documents, “does not appear to contemplate a situation in which a defendant may be placed under supervised release without first completing a term of incarceration.”

For now, it appears Libby is in legal limbo. Walton gave both sides until Monday to respond.

The scandal is Cheney ordering a leak of a non-covert agent's name, you mean?

LINK- Plame was 'covert' agent at time of name leak

WASHINGTON - An unclassified summary of outed CIA officer Valerie Plame's employment history at the spy agency, disclosed for the first time today in a court filing by Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, indicates that Plame was "covert" when her name became public in July 2003.

Funny how those sympathetic to Scooter are the least informed. :happy:

from what i understand
it shouldn't be libby who's getting into shit
it should be his boss.
none other than dick cheney.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow, 8 whole post and you have FYM figured out...

Alter, anyone?

FYM can be figured out by reading, posting isn't a prerequisite.

It's as clear as day.

hawkman said:

FYM can be figured out by reading, posting isn't a prerequisite.

It's as clear as day.

You've only been a member since April? And it shows up when you are reading, haven't ever seen you name in here...

Tell me what you've figured out, enlighten us...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You've only been a member since April? And it shows up when you are reading, haven't ever seen you name in here...

Tell me what you've figured out, enlighten us...

So you monitor 24 hours a day ? What is this, high school ? and you're the self-appointed hall monitor ?

The double standards at play in your imaginary debating society were pointed out, you appear to not have liked it, too bad.

hawkman said:

So you monitor 24 hours a day ? What is this, high school ? and you're the self-appointed hall monitor ?

The double standards at play in your imaginary debating society were pointed out, you appear to not have liked it, too bad.

No, my point was if you were in here often even just reading, I probably would have noticed. Maybe you have read a few threads, so what. You can't sum up a whole forum, especially when not paticipating.

I saw not one double standard. I saw people trying to compare pardons of a past presidency with a commutation of a current president. :huh: I saw people who jumped all over perjury when it was Clinton and write it off when it was a Republican. Then I saw people who objected to the severity of the sentence, when it was from a Bush appointed judge...

Show me the double standards, I'm very curious.

this makes me cry. it's not funny. it's tragic. anyone who supports the republican party is an absolute moron. anyone who cannot see the error in this commuting is either intellectually challenged, or brainwashed. diamond, the instances you brought up are erronous on their own. there is no legal relationship here. you don't have a solid grasp of law and your constitution, it seems. that's ok, though. just don't be foolish in your support of this.

i've not read past page 1. it's too infuriating.

I also believe he commuted as opposed to pardon, because he has a very good chance of getting it overturned in appeal.

No pardon necessary.

anyone who supports the republican party is an absolute moron

Althought I'm conservative, I'm not a republican or democrat, but I do think Libby got the raw end on this deal.

Plame was doing analyst work, not operative work. NOCs don't drive to CIA HQ everyday. They investigated this aspect of it and did not pursue any criminal activity. This leads me to believe that there was no damage done as 'everyone knew' she worked at CIA.

Who goes on official CIA business, and then writes an op-ed on it? Who is going to make millions from a novel, if she can get it past the CIA and DNI? (she's suing the directors for the right to disclose classified info). I don't like any of this either.

I think most people agreed (even ones on the right) that he had no viable appeal, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that he was likely going to be acquitted in the longterm.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, my point was if you were in here often even just reading, I probably would have noticed. Maybe you have read a few threads, so what. You can't sum up a whole forum, especially when not paticipating.

I saw not one double standard. I saw people trying to compare pardons of a past presidency with a commutation of a current president. :huh: I saw people who jumped all over perjury when it was Clinton and write it off when it was a Republican. Then I saw people who objected to the severity of the sentence, when it was from a Bush appointed judge...

Show me the double standards, I'm very curious.

The fact that your monitoring failed to make note of everyone who's in a given forum at any given time is hardly surprising. The fact that you'd use your monitoring as some kind of logical argument behind which you'd stand to draw some kind of conclusion is laughable.

Almost every thread about Gays or Muslims for example turns into a Christian bashing thread, and no I'm not a christian, but an avowed atheist. So, when an anti-bush topic gets the "but Clinton is worse" responses it's supposedly getting off topic and we need to have the thread focus ONLY on Bush ? Well, that's hypocritical at best. But that's how it works here. And the times I've been reading posts here (apparently not under your keen and ever watchful eye) have been enough to tell me that. Just doing a quick scan of some earlier showed that you in particular are usually one of th efirst to change the topic in that manner. Now I see why you're upset about having the hypocrisy pointed out. Have a great 4th of July. In case you're wondering, I'll be logging out and won't be back until tomorrow. No need to keep monitoring !

MadelynIris said:
They didn't order the leak. One Sunday morning, an op-ed appears in the paper from a former diplomat.

The white house assembled a rebuttal, and in the process disclosed that this former diplomat was sent by his wife (or his wife's boss). His wife happened to work at the CIA. Very strange. When everyone went to investigate, including Novak, they printed what they found out.

Scooter's account went against others. Therefore, he lied, therefore, 3 years prison.

here's what i know:
Libby 's charge of obstruction of justice comes from his refusal to answer certain questions. He refused to answer these because he is covering up Cheney's involvement with this.

Cheney ordered Libby to leak info to Miller after he had read Joe Wilson's op-ed. So then, Libby leaked Plame's identity and the CIA report on Wilson's trip.

So now, Bush commuted Libby so that he could maintain his 5th amendment rights, which would not be possible had be been pardoned. If he were pardoned, then he'd have to speak up.

Bush is only saying that he is ruling out a pardon just to cover his ass and not make it look so obvious. Except, to most of us, it is pretty transparent what is going on.

hawkman said:

The fact that your monitoring failed to make note of everyone who's in a given forum at any given time is hardly surprising. The fact that you'd use your monitoring as some kind of logical argument behind which you'd stand to draw some kind of conclusion is laughable.
I never claimed to be monitoring, get off it. Merely a, "I've never seen you hear before", as a regular would say to a new member. That's it, get over it.

hawkman said:

Almost every thread about Gays or Muslims for example turns into a Christian bashing thread, and no I'm not a christian, but an avowed atheist. So, when an anti-bush topic gets the "but Clinton is worse" responses it's supposedly getting off topic and we need to have the thread focus ONLY on Bush ? Well, that's hypocritical at best. But that's how it works here. And the times I've been reading posts here (apparently not under your keen and ever watchful eye) have been enough to tell me that. Just doing a quick scan of some earlier showed that you in particular are usually one of th efirst to change the topic in that manner. Now I see why you're upset about having the hypocrisy pointed out. Have a great 4th of July. In case you're wondering, I'll be logging out and won't be back until tomorrow. No need to keep monitoring !
So wait, in your keen observations you say that I in paticular turn threads into "Christian bashing" threads? Very interesting...

Once again, the subject at hand, address the subjects I brought up in my previous post and show me the double standards.

Angela Harlem said:
this makes me cry. it's not funny. it's tragic. anyone who supports the republican party is an absolute moron. anyone who cannot see the error in this commuting is either intellectually challenged, or brainwashed. diamond, the instances you brought up are erronous on their own. there is no legal relationship here. you don't have a solid grasp of law and your constitution, it seems. that's ok, though. just don't be foolish in your support of this.

i've not read past page 1. it's too infuriating.

while i may not agree w/ scooter libby and don't really care about politics, its kind of ironic that this one commuting is drawing so much skepticism, when currently bush is working towards pardoning 12 million people here. i say he has every right to, and that liberals should lay off his back for he is working against his party's conservative base currently to be partisan.

hawkman said:
Almost every thread about Gays or Muslims for example turns into a Christian bashing thread

Usually, that's because every thread about gays turns into a gay-bashing thread (see diamond's latest nonsense thread, for instance).

Ormus said:

Usually, that's because every thread about gays turns into a gay-bashing thread (see diamond's latest nonsense thread, for instance).

well, people have to use racial and sexuality slurs when they are unable to think of an intellectual response to a rebuttal:lol:

why do you not quote my whole statements. stop putting little sentences of it and read the whole thing, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom