Bush commutes Libby's prison sentence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lila64 said:

I don't think this should be locked

this story
may still have more to play out

some of us

may want to not keep posting the same questions that do not get replies

we all choose what we want to reply to
in here

I don't see the need to get upset when one does not get a reply

are any of us compelled to respond?

(don't answer that)

I was gonna ask your opinion deep, but you apparently are no longer premium. At least in the sense of this forum.

:up:

deep said:
some of us

may want to not keep posting the same questions that do not get replies

we all choose what we want to reply to
in here

I don't see the need to get upset when one does not get a reply

are any of us compelled to respond?

(don't answer that)
:up:

perhaps Bush should grant himself and Cheney pardons like
Ford did for Nixon

Much of US favors Bush impeachment: poll
Jul 6 03:59 PM US/Eastern
Nearly half of the US public wants President George W. Bush to face impeachment, and even more favor that fate for Vice President Dick Cheney, according to a poll out Friday.

The survey by the American Research Group found that 45 percent support the US House of Representatives beginning impeachment proceedings against Bush, with 46 percent opposed, and a 54-40 split in favor when it comes to Cheney.

The study by the private New Hampshire-based ARG canvassed 1,100 Americans by telephone July 3-5 and had an error margin of plus or minus three percentage points. The findings are available on ARG's Internet site.

The White House declined to comment on the poll, the latest bad news for a president who has seen his public opinion standings dragged to record lows by the unpopular war in Iraq.

The US Constitution says presidents and vice presidents can be impeached -that is, formally charged by the House -- for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors" by a simple majority vote.

They had a petetion takers at a super market here in Newport Beach yesterday, to impeach Cheney, I almost took a picture.

deep said:
perhaps Bush should grant himself and Cheney pardons like
Ford did for Nixon

Honestly,

I do expect to see a lot of blanket pardons on his last day in office.
Especially if a Dem wins Whitehouse and there are Dem gains in Congress.

unico said:
I read an article where this guy predicts Cheney will resign for "health reasons." One can only hope!

What would be the point at this juncture, except to bolster the GOP.

W's poll numbers would go up, and it would take some pressure off the GOP candidates for congress, kind of like when Rummy resigned.

It may just be a question of timing.

Not before the end of 07 or early 08?

Well, he would certainly resign if any impeachment procedure was initiated (not that it will be, anyway).

Let’s get something straight:

Impeachment is not about conviction and removal in the Senate. Impeachment is a stand-alone action of the House of Representatives, and requires a simple majority.

Under the Constitution, there is no obligation for the Senate to even hold a trial after someone is impeached. It is an option, which is up to the will of the Senate.

When the Founding Fathers drew up the impeachment clause, they envisioned it as its own punishment. Trial and removal were seen as a wholly separate process, in addition to impeachment.

Under the Constitution, after investigating the high crimes and misdemeanors of a president or other federal officer in an impeachment panel composed of the members of the House Judiciary Committee, which would then approve articles of impeachment, the House would vote on whether to impeach the executive.

If they concluded that Bush or Cheney, in this case, had abused their power, or had damaged the nation, or committed treason or bribery, they could then vote to impeach.

At that point the president and/or vice president would stand impeached.

For all time, they would be known as defilers of the Constitution--or perhaps as traitors, depending upon the nature of the articles approved by a House majority.

Their nefarious actions—the lying to Congress and American people, the violation of international laws, the violation of the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Amendments, the subversion of elections, the obstruction of justice, the criminal negligence, the war crimes, the usurping of the power of the Congress and the Courts—would all stand publicly condemned by the People’s Body.

Whether they resigned, went on to a Senate trial, or just ran out their remaining terms of office, Bush and Cheney would leave Washington with a big red “I” emblazoned on their chests to the day they died. Nixon wore that scarlet letter even though he never even had his case go as far as a House vote. His rotting corpse still wears that bright letter of shame.

So forget that red herring about a Senate trial being a non-starter.

Who cares about a Senate trial! For myself, I think that once we got those impeachment hearings going, and once the crimes of this administration started being aired on live television for all to see, and without the mediation of reporters and spin doctors, a Senate trial and conviction would be extremely likely, but whether I’m right or not really doesn’t matter.

What we need is impeachment hearings and impeachment by the House!

http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/print_friendly.php?p=opedne_dave_lin_070706_forget_a_senate_tria.htm

please. Bush is not directly involved w/ any of this. it is cheney, rumsfeld, and powell that should be the ones in jail, not libby. impeachment is another immature response to strong emotions.

struckpx said:
please. Bush is not directly involved w/ any of this. it is cheney, rumsfeld, and powell that should be the ones in jail, not libby. impeachment is another immature response to strong emotions.

Wait a minute, NOT Bush, but include Powell? :lmao:

You are unbelievable, struck. You've openly acknowledged that the Vice President of the United States has engaged in criminal activity, and with this commutation it is clear that the President is covering up criminal activity (would you really be so naive to think that Bush commuted Libby out of the kindness of his heart with not a thought to how that gets Cheney off the hook?), and you think it's odd that people are reacting strongly against it?

Unreal.

Diemen said:
You are unbelievable, struck. You've openly acknowledged that the Vice President of the United States has engaged in criminal activity, and with this commutation it is clear that the President is covering up criminal activity (would you really be so naive to think that Bush commuted Libby out of the kindness of his heart with not a thought to how that gets Cheney off the hook?), and you think it's odd that people are reacting strongly against it?

Unreal.

No, people in this forum are. People are calling for impeachment over this? Come on. He commuted one of his co-workers. No, he was doing this for Cheney. But, the bigger question, which would should be the reason for impeachment, is whether he was directly involved with any of the case, which from the evidence that has been released, is no. He simply commuted the guy.
So impeachment won't work. He probably doesn't even know what exactly is going on.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Lying and coverups aren't reason for impeachments.

Lying about blowjobs are...

Come on, get it straight...

a. Bush was not involved in the coverup, other than the commutal.

b. Clinton was in everyway involved with the BJ

struckpx said:

No, people in this forum are. People are calling for impeachment over this? Come on. He commuted one of his co-workers. No, he was doing this for Cheney. But, the bigger question, which would should be the reason for impeachment, is whether he was directly involved with any of the case, which from the evidence that has been released, is no. He simply commuted the guy.
So impeachment won't work. He probably doesn't even know what exactly is going on.

No. You are. Perhaps you don't realize that impeachment means putting him up on trial and questioning. As we've seen with your favorite word, Clinton, that doesn't always result in dismissal from office. We the people have a right to know the truth. These people need to be held accountable for their actions. They have considered themselves above the law for too long. It would be great to finally have them submit to some questions. Granted, I don't expect them to be completely honest of course, but at least we can finally put them in check.

struckpx said:

a. Bush was not involved in the coverup, other than the commutal.
The commutal is part of the cover up, wake up!!!

Did Bush tell you he wasn't part of it? Is that why you believe it?

struckpx said:

b. Clinton was in everyway involved with the BJ

Depends on your definition of 'involved' is...:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The commutal is part of the cover up, wake up!!!

Did Bush tell you he wasn't part of it? Is that why you believe it?

show me somewhere other than commutal where it says Bush was directly involved.

struckpx said:
He probably doesn't even know what exactly is going on.

I find it appalling that your support is so unwavering for a man you paint to be practically clueless on the actions of his staff.

Do you agree that Cheney's actions in this scandal could be grounds for impeachment?

If so, would you also agree that, regardless of the legal right of Presidential commutations, preventing an investigation from bringing to justice those who were ultimately responsible for a crime, especially one as severe as this (Bush Sr. even called the outing of CIA agent traitorous), is a cowardly act and shows an unhealthy amount of contempt for justice and the rule of law?

You simply cannot say that Bush is clueless on this and then say he did it for Cheney. If he did it to save Cheney's ass, he's not clueless and knows he's covering up criminal activity. That is a disgrace to the office. Period. This is not about partisan us vs. them politics. I guarantee you that if Clinton was in this same situation and did the same thing, I and many other liberals/democrats/whatever would be just as outraged. It should be an affront to every American who seeks justice and respects the founding principles of our nation.

Diemen said:

Do you agree that Cheney's actions in this scandal could be grounds for impeachment?

Cheney yes, Bush no. Should the middle man who is covering up for Cheney with two young children have to sit in jail for two years over this, no.

struckpx said:

show me somewhere other than commutal where it says Bush was directly involved.

it was bush's public lie on his state of the union address in 2003 that started this whole scandal. then cheney ordered the outing to cover bush's ass. now bush commuted libby to cover cheney's ass. they both are covering each other's asses.

struckpx said:

Should the middle man who is covering up for Cheney with two young children have to sit in jail for two years over this, no.

Having children doesn't give anyone special treatment. There are a lot of fathers in prison. He should of thought of his children and his country before he perjured himself.

Back
Top Bottom