Bush Backtracking on aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I posted this in the depths of a thread on PLEBA but it was an interesting article. Get ready to throw things....The Philadelphia Inquirer
July 1, 2002

Bush Backtracking on AIDS a Slap in the Face for Bono

By David Corn

So this is the thanks Bono gets?

Just weeks ago, the U2 front man was jetting through Africa with Treasury
Secretary Paul O'Neill and exploring the deep poverty of the
continent. Media in tow, the unlikely duo visited cities and villages, often
inspecting hospitals, orphanages and clinics where the tragic effects of the AIDS
pandemic could be witnessed.

By conducting high-visibility public appearances with O'Neill and George W.
Bush, the rock star has shared his hipness with the Bush squares. Not since a
decked-out Elvis Presley posed with President Richard Nixon has there been
such a lopsided transfer of cool in Washington.

To be fair, Bono has probably prompted the misers to open the purse more than
they otherwise would. But when Bush the other day announced a supposedly
"important new" anti-AIDS program for Africa, it was not only an insult to the
millions being killed overseas by this plague, it was a slap in the face to Bono.

At the White House, Bush said, "In Africa, the disease clouds the future of entire
nations...In the hardest hit countries of sub-Saharan Africa, as much as
one-third of the adult population is infected with HIV, and 10 percent or more of
the schoolteachers will die of AIDS within five years." He proposed "to make
$500 million available" to prevent transmission of HIV from mother to children.

Stopping inherited AIDS is one of the best bang-for-a-buck components of
an assault against AIDS. A single dose of medication given at birth
will work half the time. This is also one of the least controversial aspects of
AIDS prevention because it has nothing to do with sex or condoms. It focuses
on newborns, not adults. Consequently, it does not offend the religious right
and cultural conservatives.

So what's the catch? First, Bush was proposing funding that does not meet
the actual need. Second, he was taking credit for money already
approved by Congress. Finally, he was covering up the fact that his
administration had pressed Congress to lower spending for this activity. Bush
was spreading it thick in the Rose Garden.

The President expects his project to prevent nearly 150,000 infant infections
over the next five years. The problem is, there are about
800,000 children born with AIDS each year, according to the United Nations.
That means the Bush initiative is aiming at helping less than
4 percent of this population. Moreover, $200 million of this supposedly "new"
initiative was approved for use this year by Congress days before
Bush's announcement. What he added was $300 million for this type of AIDS
prevention in the following two years. Which averages out to $150
million a year -- a cut from the current level.

It gets worse. At the start of June, several Republicans -- notably, Sens. Bill
Frist and Jesse Helms -- were trying to raise overseas AIDS funding this year
by $500 million. But the White House leaned on Frist and Helms and got the pair
to slice that to $200 million.

When Bush hailed his initiative as one that would save lives, he could have as
easily said, "Thanks to me, this program will save fewer lives than it would have
had Frist and Helms gotten their way." As Sen. John Kerry, a Democrat who has
worked with Frist and Helms to increase global AIDS funding, griped, "Just as
we've achieved bipartisan momentum to make a real difference on the toll this
devastating disease is taking on Africa, the administration announces a retreat
and pretends it's a forward charge."

Bush boasts that his administration committed nearly $1 billion to global
HIV/AIDS assistance this year and has sent $500 million to the global fund to
fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. That sounds like a healthy contribution.
But relief and medical groups argue this is far from sufficient. U.N.
Secretary-General Kofi Annan has been pressing the international community
to kick in $7 billion to $10 billion a year to the global anti-AIDS fund, with the
United States covering about one-fifth of that. Catholic Relief Services has
called for a $2 billion increase in U.S. funding for the effort against AIDS,
tuberculosis and malaria, of which half would go to sub-Saharan Africa, where
anestimated 28 million people have AIDS.

Bush shows no signs of rising to the challenge.

Hours after making his disingenuous AIDS announcement, Bush attended a
black-tie Republican fundraising extravaganza that collected $30
million or so, with a major portion coming from pharmaceutical companies. In
fact, Robert Ingram, GlaxoSmithKline's chief operating officer, was the
numero-uno fund-raiser for the event. This drug
company not too long ago tried to prevent the South African government from
manufacturing lifesaving anti-AIDS drugs. This event was, sadly, a true
Washington moment.

That day, Bono issued a statement in response to Bush's "new" AIDS program.
"This crisis urgently demands an historic presidential AIDS initiative," the U2er
observed. "This isn't it but could be the
beginning of it."

Bono deserves credit for pushing the tightwads of Washington and the West to
acknowledge publicly the problems of global poverty and global AIDS. How long,
though, can this Irish musician sing a song of hope regarding Bush, O'Neill and
the rest, when he still hasn't found anything close to what he -- and those
African mothers -- are looking
for?

(David Corn is the Washington editor of the Nation.)

? 2002, Philadelphia Inquirer

Thank you for posting this.

I read this article and several others like it - all say the same. Namely, that Bush is taking credit for something already approved by Congress. Worse, Bush *CUT* the funding approved by Congress! :madspit:

I find this truly an insult in every way. People complain about Clinton, but I have seen neither Bush President do anything to assist the U.S. I fully believe both will leave the U.S. in worse shape than when they started. The first Bush had a war where the major obstacle was not removed. The second Bush is now having a war where the major obstacle has not been removed. Both are back-pedaling ("read my lips: no new taxes") against their promises made.

I'm not against the Republican party - however, I am against the Bush family. Worse presidential family ever!

Come on 2004 - we'll have Bush no more!

Thank you for the news.

If you see that U2NEWS.COM or U2 News on the Forum does NOT have an article, please PM me so that I can add it.

Thank you.

~HA :angel:

Thanks for the report but this is disheartening news. :grumpy:

As far as Bush bashing, well I make NO excuses for him, but don't think Clinton was any better. If Clinton had taken care of this problem it wouldn't still be here today for us to worry about. Not that it makes it okay for Bush, it's wrong of all of them. I really have lost faith in all politicians.:(

ChartAttack: Bono Speaks Out On G8 Rhetoric

http://www.chartattack.com
July 3, 2002
From ChartAttack:

Bono Speaks Out On G8 Rhetoric
Tuesday July 02, 2002

Bono's upset. And it's at least partially Jean Chretien's fault.

The U2 frontman is disappointed following the conclusion of the G8
summit in Kananaskis, Alberta last week. He says that Prime Minister
Jean Chretien promised him last year that a massive relief plan for
poverty stricken Africa would come out of the summit.

Aid for Africa was the dominant issue at the summit, but Bono feels
that Chretien failed to convince the other G8 leaders to do enough
for the troubled continent.

"It was an inspired thing, I think, of Prime Minister Chretien ... to
have it as the centerpiece at this year's G8, but really what I'm
looking at is a lot of rhetoric, a lot of the old numbers just kind of
fiddled with," the star told CBC's The National in an interview that's
available to view online.

"Prime Minister Chretien said to us a year ago that 'I'm going to give
you your voice. I'm going to give you your chance' .... I just hoped
they'd have had the imagination to make a giant, giant leap here."

Bono praised the G8 for their decision to contribute to a $1 billion
fund for third world debt relief and Chretien's pledge of $6 billion,
most of which is already in place, towards Africa, which closed the
summit. The participating countries, however, refused to commit to
a plan which would see 50 per cent of all new funds dedicated
towards Africa.

--Jason Hailman

rafmed said:
I think this shows how wrong and naive was Bono given "photo oportunities" to prominent politicians.

I don't think it was wrong or naive of him to try and use the people who control the money to make a difference. What else would he have done- griped about it but not spoken to the people who could change things?

U2 fans understand what Bono was doing and wouldn't be influenced to vote one way or another b/c he's in a picture with a politicans. And if you're not a U2 fan I'm not sure you'd care enough to vote for a politican because some random rock & roll star was hanging with them. For example, I wouldn't vote for someone just b/c they took a pic with Steve Tyler.

It's these politicans fault for using this ISSUE to try and make themselves look better- when in fact they are doing nothing to help.

Tabby said:
Thanks for the report but this is disheartening news. :grumpy:

As far as Bush bashing, well I make NO excuses for him, but don't think Clinton was any better. If Clinton had taken care of this problem it wouldn't still be here today for us to worry about. Not that it makes it okay for Bush, it's wrong of all of them. I really have lost faith in all politicians.:(

FOR THE RECORD...
Bush did MORE for Africa then Clinton did.

DB9:cool:

Plez learn the facts ppl.

bush: *sees a raging inferno*

inferno: *rages*

bush: *ignores said inferno until people start to notice*

people: *notice*

bush: *spits in inferno so he can say he did what he could whilst holding a pitcher of water*

that's what this is. i understand that we are in recession and the economy isn't too hot and we have a conflict going on, but $500 million isn't a lot for us. on top of that, were we to cancel the debt THEN give $500 million, it would be so much sweeter...

I don't say this to diminish Bono "honest" efforts, what I say is that he should have known better, Bono has always been a fighter in many fronts, he always has been an inspiration to make people think "what can I do to change my world?" " what can I do to help?" his latest actions with politics have created mixed opinions, and I don't think this has to do with being a fan or not, you can be a fan of U2 and agree or not with this actions.
The important thing, in my opinion is that each of us, that supposedly care, keep doing, or start doing something that would reflect what we admire in a guy like him.

Lilly said:
bush: *sees a raging inferno*

inferno: *rages*

bush: *ignores said inferno until people start to notice*

people: *notice*

bush: *spits in inferno so he can say he did what he could whilst holding a pitcher of water*

that's what this is. i understand that we are in recession and the economy isn't too hot and we have a conflict going on, but $500 million isn't a lot for us. on top of that, were we to cancel the debt THEN give $500 million, it would be so much sweeter...

The pt is Lilly-
With ALL this going on..Bush STILL did more, then your favorite son UNDER BETTER circumstances.
Back off plez.

Thanks-
DB9
:cool:

rafmed said:
I don't say this to diminish Bono "honest" efforts, what I say is that he should have known better, Bono has always been a fighter in many fronts, he always has been an inspiration to make people think "what can I do to change my world?" " what can I do to help?" his latest actions with politics have created mixed opinions, and I don't think this has to do with being a fan or not, you can be a fan of U2 and agree or not with this actions.

Just because his actions created mixed opinions doesn't mean they were dishonest or wrong actions.

What I'm trying to say is- he had no other option. He had to go after the people who controlled the money, and he could NOT get them to help by attacking them. He understands they are good people who are trying (as he stated in an article) and he put his hope in them. I'm sure he understood the possibility he would be disappointed - I just think he hoped he wouldn't be disappointed.

The bit I used about being a fan- I guess I don't see how it could help Bush to have his picture taken with Bono. My reasons for this I explained above.

The important thing, in my opinion is that each of us, that supposedly care, keep doing, or start doing something that would reflect what we admire in a guy like him.

:up:

Well..
Ppl need to stop bashing Bush, thats all.
It doent FIX the problem.
Read you..my Euro friend
Diamond:cool:

Diamond, I haven't bashed Bush. But I'm curious as to what you think he should do next. Or do you think he's done "enough"?

_Olive

oliveu2cm said:
Diamond, I haven't bashed Bush. But I'm curious as to what you think he should do next. Or do you think he's done "enough"?

_Olive

No no Olive.
I was refering to Rono.
You r not from Europe.

My hope is that GW takes Bono's lead still.
My hope is also that Bono does not despair.
At the very least he has brought this issue forward into the pyscie-sp-
of the American ppl.:yes:
Its really up to us now.
Other than Bono DONATING all of his personal wealth there ISNT much more he can do.
My FINAL hope is at the END of Bono's life like in 50 yrs when he is called home by his Creator..that he will be embraced and told his efforts were not in vain.
Hope this clarifies.
:)

DB9:bono:

diamond said:

No no Olive.
I was refering to Rono.
You r not from Europe.

My hope is that GW takes Bono's lead still.
My hope is also that Bono does not despair.
At the very least he has brought this issue forward into the pyscie-sp-
of the American ppl.:yes:
Its really up to us now.
Other than Bono DONATING all of his personal wealth there ISNT much more he can do.
My FINAL hope is at the END of Bono's life like in 50 yrs when he is called home by his Creator..that he will be embraced and told his efforts were not in vain.
Hope this clarifies.

DB9:bono:

Diamond- you defend GW a lot around here so I'm interested further in if you think he WILL do anything else- as in does his history show that he will?

As far as the American people helping- all we have to do is open our mouths right? Email, make phone calls? Sherry Darling has been promoting her site where all the info I think is easily available. Or is there more we can do (this is not just for diamond)

I agree with you about Bono having done everything he could. I can't imagine how upsetting it must be for him- to go and see how these people are living, and then to see the politicans NOT be affected by that enough to make change. :sad: When he says "I will have done nothing more than view their tragedy".. it is upsetting, and I think of how he said the next time the Africans see the US flag if we haven't done anything to help they will be throwing stones instead of cheering. :| It's awful and it's true.

diamond said:

The pt is Lilly-
With ALL this going on..Bush STILL did more, then your favorite son UNDER BETTER circumstances.
Back off plez.

Thanks-
DB9
:cool:

my favorite son huh?

quite an ASSumption imo.

ass.

welcome-
Lilly

Olive
YES I think he will.:)
How? Dunno exactly.
I have faith in the guy-Bush.:yes:
He is making a trip to africa soon.
He did tell Bono in his office that Aids in Africa was GENOCIDE.
He told Bono he wanted him back...
Umm other than their METHODS on HOW dont match exactly I think they will meet on some common ground.

I do like Bono's 2 prong approach to terrorism ie -Snuff out the thugs.
and
Educate and FEED the the suspectible ones close to the terrorists to help them see the US' compassion..and to alleviate future terrorists from springing up.

Dismond:yes: :adam:

diamond said:
Well..
Ppl need to stop bashing Bush, thats all.
It doent FIX the problem.
Read you..my Euro friend
Diamond:cool:

I just wondering why, when there are critical voices about Bush, Clinton turns up.

And 1 Euro is 0.97 Dollar, we getting closer :D

Read you, Rono.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

Becuuuuuzzzzzzzz
The same people that bash Bush never bash Clinton .

And they are IGNORING the fact under the circumstances Bush is DOING MORE than ever Clinton did.
They never critized Clinton re Africa/Aids.
Why?

Lilly -
Plez dont call names-
thank you
DB9

I can see why everyone is upset here, and at the least a bit curious to why and what is next?

I think, Rono, that Diamond's point is while CLinton did nothing for this cause he never gets credit. Yet Clinton's supporters jump all up Bush's ass and demand to know everything and why???

Folks Bush has proven to be an honest man thus far, and if he said he would give a certain dollar amount and since has backtracked, then don't we assume he ahs a damn good reason? OF course we want to know what it is, but maybe we don't as we are not qualified or possibly prepared to hear the answer.

ANd I am saying that in a way that insinuates that he is making an attempt, that more will come.

And diamond, love your sig- bro:up:

I dont think bashing Bush will do anything. I hope that Bush will do something and do it fast. We (world) need to find a cure for this diease and make it available to everyone.

Wow. Some great discussion.

A few thoughts.

One, I see some new faces to this discussion, who express here on this very thread their disappointment with the inadequacy of the aid Bush promised. Let me offer your personal invitation to write or call. Letters are on the site in my sig (thanks for the plug Olive...LOL). Here are the #'s again to make it nice and easy.

Bush 202 456 1414
O'Neill 202 622 0190

Happy calling.

Someone asked what else we can do. Here's what, to my mind.

1. Don't give up speaking out! Remember, aid is only one of the issues here. Debt cancellation and fair trade are critical, and we MUST deal with our leaders on these issues because they are the ones in the offices of power. But WE put them there. So the power is really ours.

2. There is indeed something to be said for private aid. There are a lot of places where anyone can sponsor a child. I use Christian Children's fund. They're not enough by themselves, and they could improve, but I shudder to think what Africa would be like without them.

Bono's emphasized how important it is not to "play politics" as he puts it, with this. He's right. Just a thought. :)

DB9-- you suggest (wisely :D) the need for facts. Got any? Educate us. ;) And btw, your final wish for the B man is lovely. Amen!

You all know the deal. Make the call, write the letter. Let me know and I'll put you on the list.

Then when I meet Bono in Dublin, I can show him the site, he'll hire me to work for DATA and I'll invite every Angel for a private party at Adam's castle. :D

SD
SD

adamswildhoney said:
I dont think bashing Bush will do anything. I hope that Bush will do something and do it fast. We (world) need to find a cure for this diease and make it available to everyone.

I agree Miss :adam:-honey (wild)

Your point and everyone elses are so true. No matter our political beliefs, we should all unite for this one; to help out our fellow man in need.

Sherry Darling has a great post, and what she is doing is great!

Anyway, thanks for the pointers:up:

z edge said:

Sherry Darling has a great post, and what she is doing is great!

Anyway, thanks for the pointers:up:

Thank you. I hope that means you'll call or write? :D

Sherry "Bono's Co-pest" Darlin ;)

adamswildhoney said:

What AWHoney said.
What ZEdge said.
In a nutshell-Clinton talked/acted like he was concerned about Africa/Aids/Debt.-did little to nothing.:mad:

Bush talked about Africa/Aids/Debt and did a little something..not enough though, reason being War on Terror. Meantime liberals are ready to cast stones immedeatley at Bush.:huh: Believe me Bush is not done w Debt Relief/Aids in Africa... Esp w Bono pestering him . I hope you guys (who bash Bush) sent some of your Bush 600.00 tax refund to an Aids Shelter or African Charity of your choice.
Its nice to have choices on how to spend your money. :lol::idea:

Sherry you are great.:)
Thank you for being you:yes:

diamond

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom