Burka Sold Separately

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Bestseller in Mideast: Barbie With a Prayer Mat

DAMASCUS, Syria, Sept. 21 - In the last year or so, Barbie dolls have all but disappeared from the shelves of many toy stores in the Middle East. In their place, there is Fulla, a dark-eyed doll with, as her creator puts it, "Muslim values."

Fulla roughly shares Barbie's size and proportions, but steps out of her shiny pink box wearing a black abaya and matching head scarf. She is named after a type of jasmine that grows in the Levant, and although she has an extensive and beautiful wardrobe (sold separately, of course), Fulla is usually displayed wearing her modest "outdoor fashion."

22doll650.1.jpg

Though Fulla will never have a boyfriend doll like Barbie's Ken, Mr. Abidin said, a Doctor Fulla and a Teacher Fulla will be introduced soon. "These are two respected careers for women that we would like to encourage small girls to follow," he said.
"...If the girls put scarves on their dolls when they're young, it might make it easier when their time comes. Sometimes it is difficult for girls to put on the hijab. They feel it is the end of childhood. Fulla shows girls that the hijab is a normal part of a woman's life," Ms. Ghayeh continued.

I'm not a Barbie advocate, but 'Fulla' at least doesn't sound any more problematic.

nb, the burka is exclusively a Central/South Asian garment. The Middle Eastern equivalent would be a chador, but as far as I can tell, there is no 'Fulla chador.' Most women in Fulla's target markets just wear a headscarf (hijab).

Last edited:
:confused: I thought this was the dream of a lot of conservative christians also, no visual boobs on dolls.

BAH, I had a great post, that referenced cultural polution, busty plastic american women, and manythings

but now it's all lost, darn

oh well. That stupid sign in screen, what's with that? Makes me sign in at the most inopertune times.........

:mad:

Back
Top Bottom