Burger King To Allow Breast-Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Burger King To Allow Breast-Feeding
Fast-Food Chain Announces New Policy Friday

POSTED: 11:32 p.m. EST November 21, 2003
UPDATED: 11:40 p.m. EST November 21, 2003

SALT LAKE CITY -- From now on, mothers who wish to breast-feed their babies are welcome to do so in Burger King restaurants.

The fast-food chain announced its new policy Friday, one day before a planned "nurse-in."

Members of an international group that promotes breast-feeding had planned the protest after a mother in suburban Salt Lake City was asked to feed her baby in a bathroom or leave the restaurant. A customer had complained to Burger King employees.

Under the new policy, employees are told if a customer complains about a mother who's breast-feeding, they are to explain that breast-feeding is permitted in the restaurant and suggest that the complaining customer move.

Burger King said its new policy had been in the works and wasn't timed to defuse the threatened protest.

Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

[/Q]

I had no clue that they could make such a policy!!!!! Welcome to the 20th century Burger King!

good for the little babies

They can "have it their way at Burger King."*

*company slogan

Last edited:
Its about time ppl started to recognize breast feeding as natural rather than taboo. I used to nurse my children (discreetly) in public and the vast majority of ppl are supportive of this I found. Babies get hungry and I refused to take my wee ones into dirty public bathroom stalls to nurse them.

these people have to figure out what makes them so uncomfortable with such a natural thing. Would they like to get forced into the bathroom when they eat their whoppers? I think not! :shame:

Okay, as a woman I don't want to see breast feeding anywhere. Urinating and deficating are also natural, should we allow this in public? I know, I know, there is a public health issue there but still. When I'm eating I don't particularlly enjoy seeing a woman whip out her breast. It really grosses me out. Is that really wrong?

WildHoneyAlways said:
Okay, as a woman I don't want to see breast feeding anywhere. Urinating and deficating are also natural, should we allow this in public? I know, I know, there is a public health issue there but still. When I'm eating I don't particularlly enjoy seeing a woman whip out her breast. It really grosses me out. Is that really wrong?

You are comparing deficating to feeding a child?

You're eating, the child is eating, what's the big deal? I think it's just a society thing where we're taught to be ashamed of our bodies. They are breasts, God created them for feeding, why are we denying this?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
You are comparing deficating to feeding a child?

You're eating, the child is eating, what's the big deal? I think it's just a society thing where we're taught to be ashamed of our bodies. They are breasts, God created them for feeding, why are we denying this?

Agreed.

I've never understood why breasts were something to be hidden away. It's not like we had a say in them being a part of our bodies.

Angela

I have nice breasts, if I do say so myself. In fact, they are even a bit too large if you ask me. I have issue wearing a low cut shirt or using them to get what I want but it really creeps me out to see a 16 month old nursing. Sorry. If I ever have children I will not breast feed. I will use the pump for as short time as possible.

How is deficating any less natural than feeding a child? (aside from the health issue, but then again, babies do this in public :D :wink: and I have had customers when I was a waitress complain about a baby's dirty diaper...)

WildHoneyAlways said:

How is deficating any less natural than feeding a child?

It's not any less natural. But you don't deficate in public. You eat in public.

WildHoneyAlways said:

I have nice breasts, if I do say so myself. In fact, they are even a bit too large if you ask me. I have issue wearing a low cut shirt or using them to get what I want but it really creeps me out to see a 16 month old nursing.

You seem to be equating breasts with something other than feeding child, which probably most would in today's society, but the truth is their first and foremost function is feeding.

Don't get me wrong the other uses are great, but I'm not going to let that stop them from their true purpose.

If deficating is as natural as eating, taken to the logical end, we could just ban all eating in public.

But I think that misses the point.

I don't see how you can compare sitting beside a woman who is breast feeding with sitting beside someone taking a big dump.

You can't push aside the health issue, because that IS the issue, and it's smelly.

It's funny because, I find seeing someone stuff their face with a Whopper and fries nauseating and disgusting.

Last edited:
If you don't like seeing it, there is a rather simple solution: don't look.

I've yet to come across a woman who forcibly shoved her bare breasts and baby in my face, making me look.

Postponing a fussy child a feeding, or forcing a mother to leave the premises is just selfish. These people have to eat also.

Seriously, its not like most breastfeeding moms are getting some kind of thrill, flashing their boobs to make people uncomfortable. I've yet to see a nursing mother just plop her boob out and nurse...most are discreet enough to lift their shirt just enough to be comfortable and also cover themselves with a small blanket.

If you think its uncomfortable to watch, turn away. I nursed both of my kids and it wasn't something I really enjoyed doing in public but unless nursing mothers want to stay home and hide for the first year of their baby's life, it has to be done.

And breast feeding is NOTHING like defecating...I would hardly compare expelling feces from one's body to providing a baby with breast milk. One is filthy waste meant to be disposed of, the other is sterile and full of vital nutrients, meant to be ingested.

anitram said:

I've yet to come across a woman who forcibly shoved her bare breasts and baby in my face, making me look.

This one time at band camp.....

:wink:

My wife breastfed both my children. My daughter weaned herself at about a year and a half, and my son at two years old. They are very healthy children and they are off the charts with their heights. If you can do it mommies....go for it.

And Dads, get your rear ends out of bed and get the child at night and bring the child to your wife when it is time to feed. Just because she has the equiptement it does not mean you get to sleep through the night you lazy bum. It is a great way to be a part of the whole thing.

And if you have a hangup about it in public don't look. I am one of two men in a building with 30 women all day. No one is forcing you to look anywhere you do not want to look.

Dreadsox said:
My wife breastfed both my children. My daughter weaned herself at about a year and a half, and my son at two years old. They are very healthy children and they are off the charts with their heights. If you can do it mommies....go for it.

And Dads, get your rear ends out of bed and get the child at night and bring the child to your wife when it is time to feed. Just because she has the equiptement it does not mean you get to sleep through the night you lazy bum. It is a great way to be a part of the whole thing.

And if you have a hangup about it in public don't look. I am one of two men in a building with 30 women all day. No one is forcing you to look anywhere you do not want to look.

:bow: :applaud: :bow: :applaud:

iacrobat said:

Hey what can I say.....

I went to Daddy boot camp and if you are about to have a child look into it Dads....your local hospital may offer it...it is well worth the take...

and as for looking....well....I am a man...I am human.....just don't get caught:wink:

Why do I need a reason not to like breast feeding? Anyway, perhaps this bothers me so much because I lived in the town where a mother was arrested for breast feeding her 8 year old....
All in all, I just don't like breast feeding and we can leave it at that.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom