Broncos Fan Says He Was Humiliated By Teacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
The teacher says it was "silly fun" but if the student was that bothered that it affected his test, and he wants out of the class.. students should never feel humiliated by teachers in my opinion.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/01/24/jersey.lesson.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

BEAVER FALLS, Pa. (AP) -- A 17-year-old high school student said he was humiliated when a teacher made him sit on the floor during a midterm exam in his ethnicity class -- for wearing a Denver Broncos jersey.

The teacher, John Kelly, forced Joshua Vannoy to sit on the floor and take the test Friday -- two days before the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Broncos 34-17 in the AFC championship game. Kelly also made other students throw crumpled up paper at Vannoy, whom he called a "stinking Denver fan," Vannoy told The Associated Press on Monday.

lol. I shouldn't find it hysterically funny that an "ethnicity" teacher of all people would do this, but I do. Yes, it ought to be a no-brainer that such an action would indeed be humiliating to some students and therefore, should not be done to anyone.

yolland said:
lol. I shouldn't find it hysterically funny that an "ethnicity" teacher of all people would do this, but I do

Exactly, then to top it all off the teacher says this "If he felt uncomfortable, then that's a lesson; that's what [the class] is designed to do"

Why do I think that is his lame ass way of covering his own..?

That's crap.

At the title, I thought it would be some harmless teasing but sitting on the floor? What a comfortable place to take a test, humiliation factor aside.

I had a professor who picked on me for my loyalty to a certain Avalanche player. I let him have it.

Kinda stupid (of the teacher). Not the hugest deal ever, but that's really the student's call to make. In HS I saw a study that showed that changing the environment the day of a test (like making kids sit spread apart instead of in their normal seats) often correlates to student doing up to 30% worse.

I'm sorry but although I had some decent teachers I still have little respect for most of them. This doesn't help my view of them any.

I don't know if any of you people are hard-core sports fans or not, but I am, and i think the kid was asking for it. C'mon, he had to know that wearing a Broncos jersey in Steeler territory last Friday was going to get him nothing but grief. He wanted the attention and now he's milking it for publicity. This was not an eight or nine year-old kid. This was a seventeen year-old adult. He gets no sympathy from me.

Zootomic said:
I don't know if any of you people are hard-core sports fans or not, but I am, and i think the kid was asking for it. C'mon, he had to know that wearing a Broncos jersey in Steeler territory last Friday was going to get him nothing but grief. He wanted the attention and now he's milking it for publicity. This was not an eight or nine year-old kid. This was a seventeen year-old adult. He gets no sympathy from me.

You're kidding right? Wow you must not be a fan of free speech either.

My teaching partner is a Yankees Fan...I am a Red Sox fan.....

We have a ball together....and the kids are learning how to be a fan of the game iof baseball.

Peace

Zootomic said:

I used to wear my Iowa Hawkeye sweatshirt when I was living in the middle of Iowa State Cyclone country. No one ever gave me grief about it, despite the heated rivalry between the two schools. But according to you, I was just asking for public humilation? :huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're kidding right? Wow you must not be a fan of free speech either.
And you're obviously not a sports fan because you clearly don't get it. This isn't about free speech. This is about sports fans getting after each other. I didn't say the man COULDN'T wear the shirt, just that he knew what he was doing by wearing it and he made the decision to do so. Non-sports fans don't understand.

The man deliberately tried to get under the skin of Steelers fans and he succeeded. Now he's running and crying to the media. Wahhhh!

Bono's shades said:

I used to wear my Iowa Hawkeye sweatshirt when I was living in the middle of Iowa State Cyclone country. No one ever gave me grief about it, despite the heated rivalry between the two schools. But according to you, I was just asking for public humilation? :huh:
And I repeat - the 17 year-old man in question deliberately wore this Broncos shirt for one reason and one reason ONLY - to aggravate Steelers fans. He got what he wanted. It's as simple as that.

Geez, people. Considering all the things that go on in the world, this is a minor, MINOR issue. This man wanted attention and now wants people to feel sorry for him, and is probably angling for a settlement from the school. Stop feeling sorry for him. He got exactly what he wanted.

Last edited:
Zootomic said:

And you're obviously not a sports fan because you clearly don't get it. This isn't about free speech. This is about sports fans getting after each other. I didn't say the man COULDN'T wear the shirt, just that he knew what he was doing by wearing it and he made the decision to do so. Non-sports fans don't understand.

The man deliberately tried to get under the skin of Steelers fans and he succeeded. Now he's running and crying to the media. Wahhhh!

First of all, it wasn't a "man," it was a 17-year-old still in high school. I'd love to know in which state he'd be consdered a legal adult. And he wasn't getting ribbed good-naturedly by his buddies, he was publicly humiliated by a teacher! And don't give me that crap about "non-sports fans not understanding" because I'm going to be watching Iowa play Indiana on ESPN in about 10 minutes. (Go Hawks!)

Bono's shades said:

First of all, it wasn't a "man," it was a 17-year-old still in high school. I'd love to know in which state he'd be consdered a legal adult. And he wasn't getting ribbed good-naturedly by his buddies, he was publicly humiliated by a teacher! And don't give me that crap about "non-sports fans not understanding" because I'm going to be watching Iowa play Indiana on ESPN in about 10 minutes. (Go Hawks!)
I replied to your post above. He was 'publicly humiliated' according to HIM. The teacher says it WAS just good-natured. He's playing this up for all it's worth.

I'll go now and discuss this on a sports fan board where they understand exactly what this clown was trying to do.

Last edited:
Zootomic said:

I replied to your post above. He was 'publicly humiliated' according to HIM. The teacher says it WAS just good-natured. He's playing this up for all it's worth.

Could just be a clever way to get out of bombing an exam.

Zootomic said:

I'll go now and discuss this on a sports fan board where they understand exactly what this clown was trying to do.

How do you know what he was trying to do? Are you a mind-reader? Do we live in a fascist society where we all have to worship the sports teams of local interest? Maybe he just happens to be a Broncos fan in Steeler country and wanted to show support for his team. Call me crazy, but I don't think he should be forced to sit on the floor to take a test and have things thrown at him because of it.

zootomic, are you a steelers fan?

seriously...he may been expecting to mess around with steelers fans in a joking way. just like some some guy that I saw in cleveland wearing a notre dame hat right after the fiesta bowl :)lol: ). I doubt he expected to be taking his midterm in the middle of the floor.

Zootomic said:

Wow, you know what they say about people who assume? Because it's definately true here...

I'm a transplant from TX, I wear my Spurs T-shirt all the time. Not to get under anyone's skin, but to show I'm a fan and support. By your logic, you could only wear the local favorite or you are deliberately trying to provoke.

The other thing you don't seem to grasp is this was at school, between a teacher and a student, during a midterm. Not peers at a sports bar.

I think what happened was extreme, but the kid had to expect he was going to get some sort of reaction out of people by wearing a Bronco's jersey days before the AFC title game. It's certainly not uncommon for sports fans to do this. Everyone who has been to a bigtime sporting event has seen "that guy" in the other team's jersey get heckled and stuff thrown at him. Hell, I've had a guy threaten to throw me off the upper deck at Yankee Stadium for wearing my Red Sox hat. Maybe he should be glad he wasn't a Cowboys fan in Philly, otherwise he probably would've been punched in the face, but then again East Coast fans are crazy and passionate like that.

:wink:

Zootomic said:

And I repeat - the 17 year-old man in question deliberately wore this Broncos shirt for one reason and one reason ONLY - to aggravate Steelers fans. He got what he wanted. It's as simple as that.

Geez, people. Considering all the things that go on in the world, this is a minor, MINOR issue. This man wanted attention and now wants people to feel sorry for him, and is probably angling for a settlement from the school. Stop feeling sorry for him. He got exactly what he wanted.

Perhaps he wore the shirt because he is a fan of the Broncos. I never got the whole "you have to like this team because of where you live" bullshit. How fucking stupid is that thinking? ...well, it isn't thinking, it's it's just an exercise in following the crowd...which I guess is what most people do all their lives. I think it's pathetic.

Dreadsox said:
My teaching partner is a Yankees Fan...I am a Red Sox fan.....

We have a ball together....and the kids are learning how to be a fan of the game iof baseball.

Peace

I think that is fine -- you are both on the same level (or close enough -- and you are both adults).

In high school I was a fan of Notre Dame basketball. One of my teachers was a DePaul fan. At that time at least they were both top ranked teams and fairly strong rivals (I have no clue if they are now). We would talk about any upcoming games, and might do the "my team's gonna win. nah nah nah nah!" thing, but he was my teacher and I was a student, so it would, and could, never go beyond that.

randhail said:
I think what happened was extreme, but the kid had to expect he was going to get some sort of reaction out of people by wearing a Bronco's jersey days before the AFC title game. It's certainly not uncommon for sports fans to do this. Everyone who has been to a bigtime sporting event has seen "that guy" in the other team's jersey get heckled and stuff thrown at him. Hell, I've had a guy threaten to throw me off the upper deck at Yankee Stadium for wearing my Red Sox hat. Maybe he should be glad he wasn't a Cowboys fan in Philly, otherwise he probably would've been punched in the face, but then again East Coast fans are crazy and passionate like that.

:wink:

i think the difference here is that you were at a sporting event. this kid was in school.

Yes there's good natured "ribbing" in sports, but the teacher is the adult not the student (most people don't consider a 17 year old an adult). He has every right to wear that jersey to school and yes, to expect good natured ribbing-but not to be humiliated by a teacher and have his test adversely affected.

It was completely unprofessional of that teacher, not to mention completely inappropriate. If the teacher had just casually made a mention that would be one thing, it crossed a line in my opinion. I can't imagine most parents wouldn't agree if that happened to their child.

Back
Top Bottom