Brokeback Mountain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the idea of limitations is also reinforced, i think, in the fact that jack and ennis don't even have the vocabulary to talk about their feelings or to describe their situation, and that's another reason why i think i'd actually prefer to see "australia's Heath Ledger" win the Oscar rather than (the admittedly brilliant) PSH for "capote" -- it's Ennis's inarticulation and lack of vocabulary that makes him so expressive, what is said with silence, the words that say the most about them are words they either cannot say or are simply unaware of.

*sigh*

i could go on and on and on and the english major in me re-surfaces after lying dormant for nearly 5 years.

but back to freaking work.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yes the love part is true, but why are they afraid to be more candid about it?

Well, at the same time, we have all been saying that this is more than the sum of its parts. The love is more than the sex between two men. And I really can't imagine that a reasonably informed moviegoer wouldn't have at least some clue about the true nature of the plot line.

I think that tagline is well written in its understatement and ability to convey the theme of the movie.

That's got to be a difficult job - summing up a well written 2.5 hours movie in 20 words or less.

YellowKite said:

Well, at the same time, we have all been saying that this is more than the sum of its parts. The love is more than the sex between two men. And I really can't imagine that a reasonably informed moviegoer wouldn't have at least some clue about the true nature of the plot line.

I think that tagline is well written in its understatement and ability to convey the theme of the movie.

That's got to be a difficult job - summing up a well written 2.5 hours movie in 20 words or less.

Once again you are correct :) it just bugs me a bit if their intention is to somehow avoid the fact that there is a sexual relationship between the men.

On the other hand it also bugs me that it is depicted by some people as just a "gay cowboy" movie- someone at the Golden Globes made an unfunny joke about it being a movie that rhymes with "chick flick" :rolleyes: I can't remember who it was, I assume it was written for them, that "joke"

violence=aggravation, and i saw those 2 being violent w one another in the trailer..ie movie trailer:angry:

db9

diamond said:
i cannot, feel i would be indirectly supporting and contributing to gay on gay violence.

Then I hope you never watch hetero on hetero violence on film or television ever again.

Melon

Be easy on him, if he does not feel comfotable seeing a film that has to deal with Homosexuality, then so be it. It's his right.

melon said:

Then I hope you never watch hetero on hetero violence on film or television ever again.

Melon

i try not to.

the last good movie i saw was Pride and Prejudice.

db9

Justin24 said:
Be easy on him, if he does not feel comfotable seeing a film that has to deal with Homosexuality, then so be it. It's his right.

Then why did he bother posting? Ya know?

I have no interest in seeing this film at all. I don't see the point in posting semi-trolling comments in the thread though.

diamond said:
i cannot, feel i would be indirectly supporting and contributing to gay on gay violence.

Come on, you can't be serious

This movie is about love (yes and lust as well) and what happens when people aren't allowed by society to openly express that love-the REAL violence in it happens as a direct result of that.

If that's the real reason you aren't seeing the movie then you are truly misguided, no offense intended. If you don't want to see it for any other reason that's your right, but you might be missing out on something wonderful.

i usually only watch PG or G rated movies actually, but will slip in to see a PG 13 but not often.

db9

diamond said:
i usually only watch PG or G rated movies actually, but will slip in to see a PG 13 but not often.

db9

There's plenty of violence in those as well. I mean I hope you avoided Star Wars, Mulan, or Romeo and Juliet...

martha said:
Especially last last one. :yikes:

yes, but at least ROTS was actually a very good movie. i shed a tear when Luke and Leia were born and thought, "i've literally been waiting my whole life for this moment."

i also don't talk about TPM and ATOTC. they never happened as far as i'm concerned.

i had a friend who only saw ROTS and knew exactly what was going on the whole time.

also, i'm going to go out on a limb here, but even though Lucas denies it, i am willing to bet that we are going to see Episodes 7, 8, and 9.

there's another billion dollars to be made.

coemgen said:
Hey Irvine, I saw this and thought you'd find it interesting. I haven't posted anything on this thread because I haven't seen the film yet, but I know you like it a lot so here's this for whatever it's worth.

coemgen

"Finding God on Brokeback Mountain"

www.relevantmagazine.com/pc_article.php?id=7101

or jsut go to www.relevantmagazine.com and go to the "progressive culture" section.

very interesting. thanks for sharing!

:up:

[q]
BOG: Were you surprised that the film shot to number one at the box office the day after the Globes?

JS: No, because we've been watching not only the aggregate numbers. As you know, what you watch carefully and what you track are inside those numbers - where they're coming from, what's driving them, where they're growing. And we have been for the past four weeks both stunned into a kind of waking stupor, but also very proactively astonished at the numbers coming out of places like Little Rock, Arkansas or Fort Worth, Texas, or Pittsburgh or Columbus. The stereotype would be that you would continue to get huge grosses out of San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles, etc. And then as you expand you'll get these smaller numbers from so-called "less sophisticated" markets. But, when you're doing $40,000 weekends on screens in Salt Lake City, you better catch up to reality fast! We're seeing this in every corner of America, and that's the real story.

[...]

BOG: What would an Oscar nomination for Best Picture mean to the film's domestic and international potential?

JS: The international releases are just starting to come into play. We opened in the U.K. a couple of weeks ago and hit number one at the box office there on Wednesday. We opened in France on Wednesday and are in the top three somewhere. We open in Italy this weekend and expect a similar response. Denmark has opened extraordinarily strongly. So everybody is already on a roll. The film is right around $6M in the U.K., and we haven't even started yet. And then we just got nine BAFTA nominations. So every step of the way, you're poised to seize the opportunity to present it. When the Oscar nominations are announced, and we hope we'll figure prominently but you never know, Brokeback will be on over 1,000 screens in North America.

BOG: Three years ago, the movie Chicago was slowly expanding and also grossed about $30M as of MLK day and was playing in about 600 theaters. It went on to do over $170M. Do you think Brokeback Mountain could be on a similar course and have the bulk of its audience still ahead of it.

JS: I do. I will allow others to speculate and allow myself only to dream of anything like the heights of a movie like Chicago. We made a specialized film. It was targeted towards the specialized niche market originally, and has proven to be a crossover hit. We didn't make this movie to be the next Star Wars. When we hit $10M, you have to understand, we were really happy! So all of it, and I mean literally all of it, is gravy. All of it is just simply mind-bogglingly extra. So yes, to answer your question directly, I believe that the bulk of the audience for this movie has yet to show up.

[...]

BOG: Finally, what impact do you hope the film will have on both mainstream America and the film industry?

JS: On the film industry, not just Brokeback but this whole year with everything from Capote to Good Night, and Good Luck, there's so many movies that were made because people just felt passionate about making them and they were able to convince their colleagues and partners to help them. And so when you have a year when that happens, and there are so many good ones, that's a great signal to the industry that the only way you're going to actually stem the tide and win back audiences is to make films you believe in and not the films that some computer program tells you will have the best chance at success. As far as changing America, we didn't make the movie so that straight people would be nice to gay people. We've gotten thousands and thousands of emails and people literally want to share what they're experiencing. It's been one of those weird ancillary experiences of making and releasing this movie that's been amazing. People are really involved in this feedback. It's a really intense thing.

http://boxofficeguru.com/oscarspotlight2006.htm

[/q]

JS is James Schamus, one of the producers of Brokeback

Last edited:
There's an interesting article in People this week about real gay cowboys

I hope Brokeback Mountain continues to do well, beyond expectations- I can't get that movie out of my head since I saw it

MrsSpringsteen said:
There's an interesting article in People this week about real gay cowboys

I hope Brokeback Mountain continues to do well, beyond expectations- I can't get that movie out of my head since I saw it

I hope that it does too...cant get it out of my head either.

The movie is a love story plain and simple.:),and deserves every award that it will get.

martha said:
I'm sorry, and some here may get pissed, but I'm just so tired of Christians "discussing" homosexuality. It's as if gays and lesbians are from a different planet and they need to decide whether to let them integrate into humanity. It's just so fucking tiresome to see people's lives discussed and debated.

Get over it.

You said it right!:up:

Back
Top Bottom