British women = ugly, intelligent slobs. American women = beautiful gold-diggers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Today I read a rather appalling article which can be found here.

The gist is this American guy who has been living in the UK for many years finds British women to be disgusting slobs, while American women are beautiful gold-diggers. Some excerpts:

Women of Britain: Bridget Jones’s Diary is not a documentary. It’s a work of fiction, a fairytale. The fact is that control-top granny pants are simply not a substitute for regular exercise, thoughtful grooming and a healthy diet. Certainly not if you’re single and interested in men.

I am a massive fan of British women. UK girls, in my opinion, are the greatest natural beauties in the world . . . when they’re 17 or 18 years old ... But when British women get to the age where they have to make an effort, they appear unable, or uninterested, in rising to the challenge.

An informal poll of my US female friends revealed that they spend roughly $700 (£350) a month on what they consider standard obligatory beauty maintenance. That covers haircut, highlights, manicure, pedicure, waxing, tanning, make-up, facials, teeth whitening etc. They will spend a further $1,000 (£500) a month on physical conditioning such as military fitness, spinning sessions, vikram yoga, Pilates, deep-tissue sports massage, personal training etc. On top of that, add the occasional spa day, a week-long “bikini boot camp” in Mexico at the start of every summer and seasonal splurges on personal shoppers and clothing. I’m not sure any of my British female friends spends £700 during an entire year on her appearance. American women see these costs as a simple and sensible investment in their future.

I was set up with Sophie (I have changed the name) by married friends. Sophie was a truly beautiful girl I used to be friends with, but hadn’t seen in 15 years. I was surprised to hear that she was still single and was excited to meet her again. At dinner, I found myself sitting opposite something that surely would have been happier hunting for truffles in the forests of France or grazing on the grassy marshlands of Canada. My friend’s wife had told me that Sophie still had the body of a 20-year-old. Maybe she did . . . dismembered in her freezer at home. She certainly didn’t have it on her skeleton.

I’m not saying that I’m the greatest prize out there, but at least I’d put on a clean shirt, shaved and brushed my teeth. Sophie tumbled into the house looking like a refugee from Hurricane Katrina. She smelt like the R&D lab at Philip Morris. Her outfit was about as sexy as a half-pound of ground meat. And, surely, the only time she’d seen the inside of a gym was to ask directions to the nearest pub. I was hurt that my friends thought I’d be remotely interested in Sophie.

As with many societal ills, I blame the parents. British mothers do not instruct their daughters the way American mothers do. In the US, beauty treatments appear to be a large part of their growing-up experience. A trip to the beauty salon is a group event for girls, an opportunity for a gossip and a catchup.

I don’t want you to think, though, that I believe American women have nothing to learn from British women. The irony is that, as obsessed as American women are with their looks, they totally ignore their social skills. Within 10 minutes of meeting an American woman, I guarantee you will know her salary and most recent medical/ dental procedure. They all but turn up with their CV printed out. In return, they will immediately want to know “all” about you, ie, how much you earn, how much you have earned in the past, what your future earning potential is, whether you own property, whether you have an investment portfolio, where you shop, where you “vacation”, what you drive and how large your parents’ house is.

American women also take themselves too seriously and are annoyingly confronta-tional. The good news for men, by the way, is they are convinced that the best way to prove they are equal to a man is by sleeping with him. Um . . . Go ahead, that’ll teach me. And they won’t even ruin your night’s sleep by staying over as their personal trainer is coming to their place at 6.30 the next morning.

it was supposed to be funny and play off the obsession that Americans and Brits -- or, rather, New Yorkers/Los Angelenos and Londoners -- have with one another. it's just not any good at what it sets out to do.

i'm really not terribly surprised that this guy is still single.

Re: British women = ugly, intelligent slobs. American women = beautiful gold-diggers.

anitram said:
Today I read a rather appalling article which can be found here.

The gist is this American guy who has been living in the UK for many years finds British women to be disgusting slobs, while American women are beautiful gold-diggers. Some excerpts:

The British media is largely misandrist, as evidenced, for example, by the frequent negative stereotyping of males in television advertising.

men are generally a bunch of slobs that think they are entitled to have hot girlfriends like

angelinajolie71.jpg

or

Monica_Bellucci12.JPG

Im British and to be honest the majority of british girls are not easy on the eye.

deep said:
and how do British men rate on the hotness meter?

this one is off the charts:

david-beckham-2007-enltd.JPG

i adore how openly homoerotic he makes sure his photos are. it almost looks like a rent boy ad.

I was going to say something incredibly intelligent and thought-provoking but l'm late for my bikini wax.

I don't do squat with my appearance other than the necessities-i.e., showering, shaving, wearing clean clothes. I never wear makeup, I rarely ever mess with my hair, I don't obsess over what outfit I'm going to wear each day (I hate clothes shopping. I just want to get in, get what I need, and get out. I don't need to be there for 5 hours trying on every piece of clothing imaginable), I don't wear nail polish... Probably sounds boring to some people, but I just don't personally feel a need for all the fuss. More power to those who do, though.

What's considered attractive is subjective anyway.

Angela

Who spends $1,700 monthly on their appearance? :crack:

Outside of celebrities who are in an industry where always looking impeccable is a must, I can't imagine anyone who does, unless they're wealthy, and possess a serious dose of narcissism.

I'm actually not surprised this guy doesn't know any American women who don't waste a ton of money on grooming. He'd probably consider a woman who didn't wear a lot of makeup or (gasp!) none at all an offense against humanity not worth speaking to.

Moonlit_Angel said:
I don't do squat with my appearance other than the necessities-i.e., showering, shaving, wearing clean clothes. I never wear makeup, I rarely ever mess with my hair

I didn't either when I was your age. I didn't need to. But the older I get, the more I spend on my appearance because I'd like to age gracefully and I am not ashamed of that. But I spend more on things you can't see, like exercise and supplements to stay fit. And actually I do notice that in people and I think people who work out are simply more attractive in almost every way unless they cross a line over into obsession, because not only does it improve your physical appearance but also your moods and energy which then positively affect your personality.

So yeah I do spend a lot each month on the gym, pilates, yoga and supplements. That's all changed my life, in fact. With the rest I try to navigate the middle road. I don't think anyone would look at me and immediately think, "Wow, spends a fortune on her appearance." Let's put it this way...as I get older, I have to work a little harder and spend a little more in order to stay naturally attractive, and I don't see anything wrong with that if I can afford it. I enjoy it and it's for ME, not men. Were I to make that the focus of my life, however, then I'd probably be very insecure.

I fully agree with you, joyfulgirl. Like I said, if other people want to work on stuff like that, that's entirely up to them. And I see nothing wrong with what you're doing-staying fit and doing yoga and all that sort of thing is fine. I could probably do with that myself.

I just, like you said, don't understand those who can't seem to handle going anywhere until they've caked themselves in makeup or something. I hope I didn't seem like I was knocking people who put a little extra effort into their appearance, 'cause to each their own. Just the constant obsession some have with their appearance...it strikes me as weird.

VintagePunk said:

Outside of celebrities who are in an industry where always looking impeccable is a must, I can't imagine anyone who does, unless they're wealthy, and possess a serious dose of narcissism.

I can tell you who'd be most likely to do that: many of the women who live in this area. Very wealthy, ritzy people here.

Angela

VintagePunk said:

Sounds like a good portion of the women of Fairfield County, CT.

Moonlit_Angel said:
[B I hope I didn't seem like I was knocking people who put a little extra effort into their appearance, 'cause to each their own. [/B]

I didn't take it that way at all. I was just remembering how I used to get away with falling out of bed, taking a quick shower and running out the door with my hair still half wet, and looking pretty decent. That doesn't work for me anymore. Sigh. :(

A friend of mine always wears way too much make-up. Just caked on and I always wondered if she had really bad skin underneath or something that she was trying to conceal. Then I saw her early one morning with no makeup at all on and she was really beautiful. Some women, regardless of their age, really don't need makeup. Others like me look better with a little color.

deep said:
men are generally a bunch of slobs that think they are entitled to have hot girlfriends
Not all men are, of course, but there are an awful lot of guys out there who think they're God's Gift To Womankind. And you women had BETTER be beautiful for him, even if he looks like the love child of a pig and a gorilla, weighs 1200 pounds and smells like Hell's Sewer. 'Cause he is a MAN, by golly, and you wimmin better give him the beauty and lovin' he deserves! :rolleyes:

i'm sorry i haven't had time to respond to this thread. i was at the gym doing a spinning class and then swimming laps. i'll spin again on thursday as well. and drop $50 on a haircut next week and am even considering getting a pedi before i head somewhere warm for the xmas break.

vaz02 said:
Im British and to be honest the majority of british girls are not easy on the eye.

Serious? I've really never noticed a great variance in attractive looking females or men from country to country, unless you have a very specific type...

...that said there are few of the chav persuasion that are ever attractive to look at...

joyfulgirl said:
I didn't take it that way at all. I was just remembering how I used to get away with falling out of bed, taking a quick shower and running out the door with my hair still half wet, and looking pretty decent. That doesn't work for me anymore. Sigh. :(

Ah, good.

Awwwww, hey, don't be down on yourself like that. I think you'd look nice no matter what you do :hug:.

joyfulgirl said:
A friend of mine always wears way too much make-up. Just caked on and I always wondered if she had really bad skin underneath or something that she was trying to conceal. Then I saw her early one morning with no makeup at all on and she was really beautiful. Some women, regardless of their age, really don't need makeup. Others like me look better with a little color.

I'd probably be one who could do with a bit of color-I'm so pale it's not even funny. I just can't stand makeup, though, I hate how it feels on my face, I'm always afraid I'll mess it up if I touch my face wrong, and I want it off not long after I've put it on.

But you're right. There's nothing wrong with light touches of makeup, it can bring out some of the best features of a person's face, but yeah, when it gets to where you start looking like you're applying to be a clown, or when you're stepping into Tammy Faye Bakker territory, might be time to tone it down a notch.

Sue DeNym said:
Not all men are, of course, but there are an awful lot of guys out there who think they're God's Gift To Womankind.

Men like that bug the hell out of me. Ugh. That sort of attitude is such an automatic turnoff for me.

Angela

LJT said:

Serious? I've really never noticed a great variance in attractive looking females or men from country to country, unless you have a very specific type...

...that said there are few of the chav persuasion that are ever attractive to look at...

British girls have a big problem with self grooming, they wear so much fake tan and hair extensions they end up looking like a tranny

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom