Bring our Boys Home!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Posted on Thu, Mar. 13, 2003

Bill Targets U.S. Troops Buried in France
JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - In another swipe at the French, a Florida congresswoman has proposed that the government pay for families who might want to bring home from France the remains of Americans who fought and died in the world wars.

"I, along with many other Americans, do not feel that the French government appreciates the sacrifices men and women in uniform have made to defend the freedom that the French enjoy today," Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite said in introducing legislation providing financial help for the reburial of veterans from the two world wars.

The legislation, which faces uncertain prospects, is the latest show of congressional frustration over French threats to veto a U.N. resolution that would open the way for U.S. military action against Iraq.

Earlier this week, the chairman of the House Administration Committee, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, ordered that House restaurants change their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries. French toast would also become freedom toast.

Lawmakers have also introduced bills to prevent France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.

Brown-Waite, a freshman Republican, said she decided to sponsor the bill after she was approached by a constituent who said he wanted to bring home his father, who was killed in World War II and buried in France.

Some 74,000 American war casualties are buried in France and Belgium, including 30,000 from World War I. The host nations, while retaining sovereignty over the burial grounds, have granted the land in perpetuity to the United States as military cemeteries.

Steve Thomas, a spokesman for the American Legion, said the veterans' group would need some time to look at the legislation. He said the American Legion has always respected the wishes of the families concerning those who died in combat, but noted that "a lot of people may not want to repatriate their fallen loved ones, separating them from their comrades, to make a statement about the French government."

Bring our Boys HOME!!!!!!

Posted on Thu, Mar. 13, 2003

Bill Targets U.S. Troops Buried in France
JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - In another swipe at the French, a Florida congresswoman has proposed that the government pay for families who might want to bring home from France the remains of Americans who fought and died in the world wars.

"I, along with many other Americans, do not feel that the French government appreciates the sacrifices men and women in uniform have made to defend the freedom that the French enjoy today," Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite said in introducing legislation providing financial help for the reburial of veterans from the two world wars.

The legislation, which faces uncertain prospects, is the latest show of congressional frustration over French threats to veto a U.N. resolution that would open the way for U.S. military action against Iraq.

Earlier this week, the chairman of the House Administration Committee, Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, ordered that House restaurants change their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries. French toast would also become freedom toast.

Lawmakers have also introduced bills to prevent France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.

Brown-Waite, a freshman Republican, said she decided to sponsor the bill after she was approached by a constituent who said he wanted to bring home his father, who was killed in World War II and buried in France.

Some 74,000 American war casualties are buried in France and Belgium, including 30,000 from World War I. The host nations, while retaining sovereignty over the burial grounds, have granted the land in perpetuity to the United States as military cemeteries.

Steve Thomas, a spokesman for the American Legion, said the veterans' group would need some time to look at the legislation. He said the American Legion has always respected the wishes of the families concerning those who died in combat, but noted that "a lot of people may not want to repatriate their fallen loved ones, separating them from their comrades, to make a statement about the French government."

Oh-my-goodness. France DISAGREES with the United States. It hasn't threatened the US, it hasn't attacked the US, it hasn't severed all diplomatic links with the US. It has a simple disagreement!

Where will we be if countries can't even express a point of view which differs from that of the United States without such a disproportionate response.

I concur, It is time for many to check their envy and hatred, and do the right thing.

Beefeater

Dreadsox said:

Yes, because obviously an unwillingness to blow people up NOW means they don't appreciate us. At all.

:madspit:

nbcrusader: *rotfl*

It realy seems to me like some people tend to play to much videogames and see the foreign relations as a kind of game. If you loose you just insert another quarter and try again.
Hard to believe that statements like above are from grown up men.
Klaus

p.s. shouldn't this one be moved in the "Sunday Bloody Sunday Forum" since it's obviousely war(propaganda) related?

Just for kicks, I spent all afternoon making links on my medieval studies site to French medieval historical sites. The site has nothing to do with modern politics, except that it has an American flag jpg. on it that Tripod gave us after 9/11, with a "we will never forget" statement banner I made myself. But I felt motivated to put French links on it today and got six of them. They're on my site now. I'll get more. That place is going to be French as heck. I hope this will make people appreciate that there is a dimension to France and French culture that has nothing to do with the current Iraq controversy.

Gickies Gageeze:

so what would you suggest? War of USA <> France? And all because they have a different opinion in foreign politics? :no:
Remember France didn't send troops into the Iraq to save Saddam, they just want more time for the UN inspectors to do their work

So let the boys rest in peace. They gave their life to stop Hittlers worldexpansion and genocide - don't abuse their memorials for todays propaganda.

Klaus

Last edited:
Klaus - I believe that Gickies meant that he can't live in the same world as people who can be so petty as to want to go dig up there relatives over this. From his posts I've always got the feeling that he is against the war in Iraq and has nothing against the French. I normally wouldn't speak for other members of the board, but I'm pretty certain of this and since I made a statement in agreement with him I think it was necessary to say what I was agreeing with so that people don't get the wrong idea about me.

Ok, i was a big idiot and accidentally posted this again. Anyways what I said was.....

I really wish this stupid politicians would stop paying attention to fries and buried people and start paying attention to the impending WAR! That's right, we may go to WAR but you can't tell that by the petty way some of our elected officials are acting.

I think this was particularly interesting...

Klaus said:
Gickies Gageeze:

so what would you suggest? War of USA <> France? And all because they have a different opinion in foreign politics? :no:
Remember France didn't send troops into the Iraq to save Saddam, they just want more time for the UN inspectors to do their work

So let the boys rest in peace. They gave their life to stop Hittlers worldexpansion and genocide - don't abuse their memorials for todays propaganda.

Klaus

uh klaus, i think youve misunderstood me. i am NOT promoting the removal of the dead in france. i said i cannot live in the same world as these people, with "these people" being the rediculous americans mentioned in the story.

capiche?

ILuvLarryMullen said:
Klaus - I believe that Gickies meant that he can't live in the same world as people who can be so petty as to want to go dig up there relatives over this. From his posts I've always got the feeling that he is against the war in Iraq and has nothing against the French. I normally wouldn't speak for other members of the board, but I'm pretty certain of this and since I made a statement in agreement with him I think it was necessary to say what I was agreeing with so that people don't get the wrong idea about me.

thank you :hug:

Gickies :

ok, i'm glad that you don't think that way and i've only missunderstood you.

So ignore the first half and see the 2nd half as a statement, not attacking your mail:

"Let the boys rest in peace. They gave their life to stop Hittlers worldexpansion and genocide - don't abuse their memorials for todays propaganda."

Klaus

I think if we're really all that serious about exhuming our fallen soldiers and returning them to U.S. soil, renaming and boycotting French goods, and essentially spitting in their faces, then we should be *really* serious about it, you know, let us boycott and dismantle the Statue of Liberty, ship it back to France, and dump it on their front lawn. :angry:

Well she's a Republican from Florida - Jeb & her are right up there on the brain cell count.

I told my uncle about this, he's a retired Colonel from WW2 and he thought it was hilarious that anyone would even think up something so ridiculous.

Really I think it's sad that some people can't handle criticism.

I have written my Congressman and my Senators protesting what I see as a hate campaign against France. It's time for Congress to stop playing Trivial Pursuit For the Political Idiot Squad and get back to work running the country. This is no time for insanity like this.

verte76 said:
Trivial Pursuit For the Political Idiot Squad

I think we've just discovered how Bush won the presidency, why 90% of Americans can't find Afghanistan on a map, what to play while eating Freedom Fries, and how to get agents on your side during an Ashcroft interrogation.

sharky said:

I think we've just discovered how Bush won the presidency, why 90% of Americans can't find Afghanistan on a map, what to play while eating Freedom Fries, and how to get agents on your side during an Ashcroft interrogation.

Yes. Just ask the instigators of the "I hate France" campaign.

Back
Top Bottom